HP laptop with ubuntu - which printer?

imnotintheusa, Mar 23, 6:36am
Homework in this house has become a nightmare as I can never print anything. I have a useless old Canon printer sitting here which doesn't talk with my HP laptop - generation gap!
Can anyone tell me some models of printers which will work with my installed ubuntu software? Sorry if this is a daft question, I don't know much about these things...TIA

flewy, Mar 23, 6:38am
generation gap, or operator lack of knowledge gap.....?

imnotintheusa, Mar 23, 6:40am
Haha, a bit of both I think. Thing is, this printer is so old. I just want to get a better one.

imnotintheusa, Mar 23, 6:40am
Oh, and lack of USB port on my laptop...

flewy, Mar 23, 6:46am
then you need a new laptop.

cybertao, Mar 23, 6:50am
I've had a Brother 2040 mono laser printer that's been going strong for years.
I recommended the newer model, the 2140, to my neighbour recently.He scored it on special for $107 and is wrapped.I don't plan to bother with an inkjet ever again, or a Canon.

imnotintheusa, Mar 23, 6:53am
Ok, thanks for all your suggestions :)

imnotintheusa, Mar 24, 6:36am
Homework in this house has become a nightmare as I can never print anything. I have a useless old Canon printer sitting here which doesn't talk with my HP laptop - generation gap!
Can anyone tell me some models of printers which will work with my installed ubuntu software! Sorry if this is a daft question, I don't know much about these things.TIA

imnotintheusa, Mar 24, 6:40am
Oh, and lack of USB port on my laptop.

cybertao, Mar 24, 6:50am
I've had a Brother 2040 mono laser printer that's been going strong for years.
I recommended the newer model, the 2140, to my neighbour recently.He scored it on special for $107 and is wrapped.I don't plan to bother with an inkjet ever again, or a Canon.
Brother's website doesn't mention a parallel port on the 2140 though.What about sharing whatever printer you end up getting over the network from one computer!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)