Just bought a pc but no os on it

so i got a cd but when loaded it on there is no local connection so i am able to get a website.Any suggestions on how to get it going please ?

geek_v8sronman, Mar 25, 5:01 am

Install Linux Mint?

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 6:56 am

Load the drivers?

geek_dougstringer, Mar 25, 7:30 am

You're asking someone who doesn't even know why their network isn't going to identify their motherboard, figure out where to get the drivers, figure out how to get them onto the machine when Network doesn't work (chances are USB won't either) .. and after that they'll discover that the video sucks, sound also doesn't work..

Seriously, just stick Ubuntu or Mint on the machine!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 7:44 am

Loaded what? The Beach Boys?

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 7:49 am

That too.. you're asking someone who doesn't even know exactly what they 'loaded' to....

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 7:51 am

You have to install all thedrivers too.
Chipset, LAN, Sound, VGA etc.
And applications - antivirus, antispyware, office suite whatever.
Take it back and get the shop to set it up.
Or phone a tech.

geek_lythande1, Mar 25, 8:07 am

I'll go with little_egypt here, As his info isn't the best, So go with something Basic like Ubuntu or Mint would be a good start

geek_swivel, Mar 25, 8:23 am

I would vote for Mint 10 mainly because I think its an easy Linux distro for people new to Linux and its appearance is very Window ish so its easy to navigate.

geek_foxray2000, Mar 25, 8:48 am

Like lythande1 says in #7.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 25, 10:58 am

$Ka-ching$.. unless you know a geek that will do it for a case of beer, you might as well just buy a new computer with the OS preloaded. Paying a tech at the usual rates to set up your no-OS, no-driver-cd second hand computer isn't economic for most people.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 11:09 am

ppfffttt,

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 11:27 am

Funny I have nevere had to do that in Windows 7 sorts most drivvers without issues

Guess your still using older platforms huh

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 11:28 am

Just installed Windows 7 on a perfectly good but slightly older computer this week. A7S8X-MX botherboard, FX5500 GPU.

After the install there's no network, no sound and the screen is in 800x600 resolution.

Booting Ubuntu 10.04 on the same hardware there IS network, there IS sound and the screen comes up in the LCD monitor's native resolution.

Windows fails.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 12:23 pm

what make/model is the machine and operating system are you trying to load?

ill link you the drivers you need.

geek_kiwicon, Mar 25, 12:28 pm

It's a known fact that Windows 7 doesn't support older hardware...Or more to the point, the hardware manufactureres don't create Windows 7 drivers for older hardware. I have had plenty of lucky with Ubuntu and Mint on older hardware. It would be my first choice. A baby could install it. If you don't specifically need Windows (of any version) would you rather bum around opening up your PC to see what hardware is in there or installing hardware analysing software so you can download drivers, or just install an OS that has an abundance of drivers included. If it was an old PC, I know what I'd do.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 25, 12:32 pm

Yet they are supposed to understand what "just install a linux os" means.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Mar 25, 12:37 pm

Just means its failed for that pc, I could say the same on my numerous ubutnu installs here that I have had to muck about with hours on. The fact of the situation is linux is not better than windows and vice versa much of a muchness.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 12:38 pm

pffft

geek_kiwicon, Mar 25, 12:40 pm

Ubuntu does need some reasonable grunty hardware to run it properly i.e not some old slow box which would be suited to xp or even a more stripped version of linux,

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 12:45 pm

SRSLY. My main machine I tried to install XP on (for a demo) .. right off the install I'm pretty sure USB didn't work. Absolutely certain that video support was minimal (nvidia GPU) and no network, no sound, no SATA.. basically NOTHING.

If I was to install Win7 I have every expectation that I'll have minimal video, no sound and no network here too.

I've installed a fair few machines in the last year and even when it's a Win7 install, Ubuntu ALWAYS supports more hardware right off the live CD than Windows does on a fresh install. No exceptions.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 12:47 pm

Your a blow hard

Linux is incompatible with so much hardware its a joke. Just because it worked on this occasion doesn't mean the next PC you will be so lucky

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 12:48 pm

Yup hes just a linux nut, I too use linux but I don't preach about it.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 12:49 pm

Rubbish

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 12:49 pm

This is why I'm posting the motherboard and video card numbers. Feel free to verify for yourself that this hardware does NOT work on a fresh windows install until you find a way to update the drivers using the network you don't have...

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 12:53 pm

Its algood mate I use it aswell and having been doing PC's for quite awhile and have seen first hand the compatibility issues across the platforms. Only time I use Linux these days if people can't afford a licence for an OS or hardware is being bogged ]

Yup hes just a linux nut, I too use linux but I don't preach about it.[/quote]

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 12:54 pm

Wow, Should I gather a list of all unsupported hardware with linux

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 12:54 pm

I don't go looking for unsupported hardware. I just get asked to reinstall / repair / upgrade machines fairly often. And just about every time I observe that not all the hardware works in Windows (usually XP, but often Win7 too) and that if I boot an Ubuntu CD most or all of the same hardware is supported just fine by Linux.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 12:57 pm

So if you have a second hand machine with NO OS and you want to install an OS on it, you have a few options;

1) Pay for XP. And then spend quite a long time finding the drivers.

2) Pay more for Win7, spend less time finding the drivers, but discover that Win7 doesn't run that great on older hardware

3) Put ubuntu on it (which is free) and find that probably 99% of things work right away.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 12:59 pm

Could someone please explain to me, just exactly where Lil'E has been preaching? Anyone?

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 1:07 pm

1) PC will already probably have a coa attached
2) With the right drivers 7 does run ok on older gear compared to its previous version vista.
3) It is not a 99% chance it will work, followed by the fact older stuff will not work on linux been a linux user also here not to mention some older specific apps some users rely on are not avaliable on linux. Then on top of that a lot of people find adapting to new versions of windows hard enough let alone going to a linux based operating system would freak a lot of people out.

But then what if the kids want to run a game or run a game they picked up at the school fairI don't think linux will do with what most home users know. Simple it is not right for everyone, just use what you are comfortable with.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:07 pm

By telling people to put linux on the pc and harping on how good linux is, basically implying its fool proof.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:08 pm

My wife who's a complete and total computer N00B has managed to download, install and play quite a number of downloaded (windows) games from popcap on her computer.

... which runs debian.

I suspect most of the older games she might pick up a school fair would also work just fine.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:10 pm

Thats probably because you teach her, other people do not have the on hand linux support in the same household.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:11 pm

BTW for the record, before I switched the whole family to Ubuntu (about 2005) the kids used to get windows games out of the library. More often than not they wouldn't run on Windows XP without some patch or update. I've had LESS trouble running Windows games in Linux than I used to have running them in Windows.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:12 pm

No,I just anticipated that she might and installed WINE.

It's totally standard. Any normal ubuntu user can do the same by going to 'add/remove programs' and selecting the WINE package.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:13 pm

Well, I suppose one persons preaching is ministering to another.

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 1:15 pm

Looks like a troll thread to me. But I recommend Mint anyway. And a chill pill for johnf.

geek_rua69, Mar 25, 1:16 pm

Well people just need to know linux is not the golden solution. Why don't you take a help pill so you can post something helpful. Its the same old crap, oh go linux. It is not the dam golden solution, no one knows what sort of hardware the OP has or software they will run on it. So saying linux is the solution is crap.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:18 pm

Huh? No one's saying Linux is perfect. Neither is Windows. Mint or Ubuntu are ridiculously easy to try out and ideal for this situation.

geek_rua69, Mar 25, 1:23 pm

I'm saying Linux is more likely to support everything right from a fresh install than Windows. That's my experience with one hell of a lot of second hand hardware and backed up by solid evidence from the developers who make that hardware work. http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-supports-more-devices-than-any-other-os

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:25 pm

Well it seems its always the golden solution what os choice is involved. I have tired showing people linux myself but they just kick up a fuss moan has they cannot get the support like they do with windows.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:26 pm

Good reading & googling skills are all that is required.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 25, 1:29 pm

They're not asking in the right places.

#ubuntu on freenode.
nzlug or wlug mailing lists
Right here (I'm always happy to answer Linux support questions)

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:30 pm

Yeah but sometimes no matter how much you google you cannot get some stuff to work in linux and some people struggle to turn a pc on let alone configure it.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:30 pm

That's not Linux's problem, it's theirs. Or yours. Don't you tell them that all the Linux support they could ever need is available online, for free?

geek_rua69, Mar 25, 1:31 pm

The average joe bloggs does not want to go all that hassle, alot get help from friends family which provide free support all of which mostly use windows. So asking the average mum dad user to go on some geek support site is not the solution, not everyone likes writting out command after command.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:31 pm

Then they're going to struggle with any OS, aren't they?

geek_rua69, Mar 25, 1:32 pm

Bull shit its not mine if you learnt to read above a few posts up I use linux also myself but I just don't harp on trying to convert people. So I ain't no god, I just let them choose, plain and simple it is not always the best solution to a problem.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:32 pm

Yes which makes it harder again been linux when they cannot ask gran children or even friends etc to get basic help. Its not like the local community classes at high schools teach you linux, well around here anyway.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:33 pm