Just bought a pc but no os on it

Slightly older? Those are 7+ year old hardware... As said, Windows 7 in widely known to NOT support old hardware, that's how it was designed. You keep comparing Windows with Linux but not one distro and build version in specific. Of course XP won't have drivers because it wasn't designed to incorporate hardware drivers newer than 2001. How could they? The hardware didn't exist yet and furthermore, XP isn't updated yearly to incorporate new drivers like some of its linux counterparts.

Install XP on a machine with hardware older than 2001 and I'll guarantee that 99% of all the hardware will work right off the bat. The same goes with comparing XP to some flavour of Linux that you always fail to mention. If it's a newer version of Linux then you're just comparing apples to oranges. If they are of the same build year, then you may get some more similarities in pitfalls between the two.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 1:34 pm

The reason people give answers as a list of shell commands is because you can copy the whole list of commands off a web page, open a terminal and paste the whole lot in (as a block)

There's very little if anything the average user would want to do in Linux that can't be done in the GUI if that's how you'd rather do it.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:35 pm

Well some people just prefer point and click they struggle, but personally i use command line for most stuff as I find it faster.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 1:36 pm

I guarantee you that any hardware which doesn't work in Windows 7 will also NOT work in XP without having to find (by internet search or OEM CD) the correct drivers.

Find me one single example of a peripheral or onboard device that works out of the box in XP but doesn't work in Win7 .. I dare you.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 1:37 pm

& what will that prove? If there is some hardware that works off the bat on XP but doesn't work in 7, it'll be because that system CAN'T run 7 anyway...

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 1:41 pm

install ubuntu linux on it.

geek_selfdestructive, Mar 25, 2:00 pm

I agree. I think that the problem with these people using Linux, is with the johnf's handling of it, not the user. Point in case. I have three pensioners using Linux and have been doing so for going on a year now. One aged 74, another 73 and another 69. They took to Linux like a duck to water. It's all to do with how you approach Linux, and how you teach them to approach Linux.

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 2:00 pm

BTW for the sake of experimentation I just put a spare drive in the same machine and installed XP pro SP3.

All the same hardware still doesn't work. Generic VGA, no sound, no network and no SATA .. I had to put it in IDE compatibility mode just to get XP to install.

And unlike Win7, I can't do the USB-network trick and have it automatically find the drivers either.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:03 pm

OK, so just re-reading your thread. XP doesn't support anything newer than 2001 .. Win7 doesn't support anything older than what? 2010? So basically there's no version of Windows that will work on a second hand machine without a shitload of digging for drivers?

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:05 pm

No matter how many times I reread this thread. I still can't see where Lil'E "preached". Nowhere.

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 2:08 pm

everyone is different and those pensioner probably never used windows before either. Don't get me wrong I am a linux fan also but I just don't convert people I let them use what they choose has everyone has there own personal preference. SO no it is not my handling of it, linux does not suit everyones needs IMHO.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:12 pm

The poor Original Poster,they willnever ask againLOL

geek_swivel, Mar 25, 2:13 pm

I'm trying yo see what lostdude's point is. I can put an ubuntu 10.04 CD into any machine I have here or at the centre and most hardware will work right off the CD. Certainly in every case I get proper resolution video, sound and network support, SATA, keyboard and mouse. Enough to make the machine useful.

Is there a version of Windows I can install on any random machine from any random date where video, network, sound and keyboard+mouse will all work more than half the time? My experience says no.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:13 pm

Its always the case of linux user harping on how superior windows is and think they are better everyone. Windows users and osx don't harp on the boards here how better it is than linux. Just take it has it comes and just incase you missed it I am a linux user using the latest ubuntu 10 64bit edition in dual boot.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:13 pm

Yup once the linux brigade arrives.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:14 pm

Xubuntu is alright.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 25, 2:15 pm

Drivers are easy to find, the matter of the situation is you struggle with anything windows related and we get pages full of threads. Unlike me who manage both windows and linux environments without troublesome threads.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:15 pm

My point is, if you get some random second hand machine with no OS, no driver CDs and you want to get it to the point where you can do basic web surfing+email+office as easily and quickly as possible... chances are you can throw an ubuntu CD in it and be there in 20 minutes.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:16 pm

yea vs ubuntu, but once again depends what they use, if they use mostly windows software than yeah. Some apps just do not work in linux even under wine.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:16 pm

Ok fair enough in this application.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:19 pm

So, where did that occur, prior to the first mention of preaching?

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 2:20 pm

Yup pretty much. As I said, you can't compare the two. Their objectives differ far too greatly and doing so is just comparing apples to oranges.

Whilst Linux was focusing all their efforts into an OS that could support as much hardware as possible without problems, MS was hard at work trying to patch up their botched security. Manufacturers created drivers for Windows and since they were freely available to the public via the internet, why would MS waste time and money trying to incorporate them all into their service packs? It's illogical; but since Linux is the underdog, it makes perfect sense to incorporate as much drivers as a possible into their setup disks.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 2:21 pm

Lol, nothing has flaws quite like Windows!Some of them are even there deliberately.

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 2:25 pm

Yup nothing is perfect I have never said windows is perfect if you perhaps engaged those eyes to read. Nothing is perfect, its simply what you prefer to use, its much of a muchness incase you can't read

Cheers

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 2:26 pm

As a service to their users, rather than as a service to themselves by profiting through WHQL.

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 2:27 pm

If you have any other alternatives for someone to freely try, you should suggest them.

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 2:30 pm

My point is, you can't compare the two platforms on installation experience alone without using a fair playing field. Use a Linux distro released on or before 2002 to compare XP and the newest distros on hardware released after 2006 to compare to 7. Any hardware in between, then Linux will win anyway.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 2:30 pm

So basically you just agreed with me that Linux supports more hardware right off the live CD than Windows (XP or 7), without needing to go seek out drivers?

BTW as well as supporting more hardware directly from a fresh install, Ubuntu comes preinstalled with a lot more useful software than Windows too. Go search that recent "things to install on a new machine" thread, just about everything on most people's list there's already something in Ubuntu that does the same job, or it's antivitus/antimalware/firewall-
/defrag software that isn't required in linux.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:32 pm

You don't have to preach alternative linux solutions to me... I use Linux too. But most of them either don't look as good or don't do as much as their Windows counterparts. Remember, aesthetics appeal does matter because if it didn't then Apple will still be trying to get a foot in the door.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 2:42 pm

Haha are you for real?

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 2:46 pm

What are you trying to prove? lol windows update sort 99 percent of that out

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 2:51 pm

You kidding your always talking about linux, don't know if its preaching but the mojority of stuff that comes from you is about linux or a point your trying to prove IMO

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 2:53 pm

+1

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 2:54 pm

Whatever floats your boat;

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Win2-7+Pack?content=113264 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/myfirefox/

Just a reminder; right now the OP has a machine that can't connect to the net, and almost certainly (they just haven't noticed yet) has no sound and crap video. And they likely don't know much about computers so finding out exactly what they have and helping them find drivers is going to take quite a while. Have fun. Count me out.

BTW if anyone wants a free factory-pressed Ubuntu 10.04 CD just drop me your mailing address, I've still got a pretty good stack of them.

I think most people here know how to reach me already ;-)

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:54 pm

Oddly enough, they seem more interested in bashing a linux solution than helping with a Windows problem.

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 2:57 pm

On XP? I don't think so!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 2:58 pm

That's because until the OP comes back with exact hardware details there's nothing they can do to help. And I don't think OP knows what hardware they have or how to find out.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 3:00 pm

+1 same goes for little egypt. I use linux also repairs hlv, even typing this message on one.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 3:02 pm

Totally missing the point.

OP has a nwe machine. They want to do shit with it and right now they can't.

All I'm saying is chuck an ubuntu or mint CD in and see how far they get. Chances are most things will work and they'll be able to do whatever they wanted. And if not, linux costs nothing or very little (in dollars or time, $4 buy-now on trademe and they'll know if it's going to work from the live CD in the time it takes to boot)

They've already tried installing some unknown OS (guarantee it's winxp, possibly win7) and nobody else is providing any better answers yet.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 3:08 pm

Well the fact its already running it would be easier to just get the correct driver, provided you know what your doing it would take not long at all.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 3:09 pm

Sorry on Windows 7 I shoud have made that clear

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 3:18 pm

I do get what your saying mate.

For no frills setup yes, but after the installation its well...I won't go on but then again maybe I should take up ur ubuntu offer and put some serious time into it. mmmm

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 3:22 pm

Yup a lan driver is all what it is needed.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 3:25 pm

I'm not talking about OS here and you can't chuck FF in the mix because it already is cross-platform. I'm talking about most software written for linux. They either look good but do a crap job or do an excellent job but looks horrible. For the most part, even professionals that will benefit the most from a piece of software that ticks all the boxes for the work they do will dismiss it even before trying just by looking at it. It's just human nature, even though it goes without saying, nobody _really_ holds true to it until they are forced to learn otherwise.

("Don't judge a book by its cover" if you didn't get the reference.)

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 3:39 pm

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 3:45 pm

LOL and your point is? Go fire up a Linux distro from 2001 and post it here so we can have a laugh at its GUI as well.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 3:48 pm

Why would I fire up a distro from 2001 when I can just download a cutting edge release for nix?

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 3:53 pm

lucky drcspy is banned ;)

geek_flewy, Mar 25, 3:59 pm

So you can be fair in your prejudice. XP looks like crap now, granted but so would a 10yr old debian distro.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 4:02 pm

I think the problem repairs_hiv_420 and johnny tantrum have had with Linux is because they put the Install CD in upside down

geek_foxray2000, Mar 25, 4:06 pm