Just bought a pc but no os on it

You're deflecting.You keep going on about style and linux being fugly.
But how many times have you seen, and still see, computers with that default theme?

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 4:11 pm

Yup, if your going to compare compare something from the same time.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 4:12 pm

Really is that the best you have got christ foxray I'll give you a few hours to think up something better than come have a stab at me.Thanks for the giggle though.

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 4:17 pm

I don't appreciate the personal attacks mate it is uncalled for, just because you do not like what I have to say you have to resort to saying I am having a tantrum. I'll repeat myself for what the 3rd or 4th time I am a linux user. I have 4 installs at home of ubuntu, debian, mint and puppy on a old shit box I loan out to people. 3 of which has not worked out of the box and needed a lot of messing about to get them working correctly.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 4:17 pm

I wonder if the OP found anything useful in any of this thread.

geek_psy-trading, Mar 25, 4:31 pm

LOL I was just thinking that bit of a hijack sorry OP

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 4:32 pm

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 4:48 pm

Every time I go sort out a computer at a small business.

In the real world people just do work on their computer, they don't sit at their desk all day choosing the perfect wallpaper and desktop theme.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 4:50 pm

Yea, I'd like a copy of it.!
02 7 three 67 two 8 six 1.
cheers

geek_adrian, Mar 25, 5:05 pm

No. Two of them had used Windows for years, including Win ME. One hadn't been near a PC before.

geek_badcam, Mar 25, 5:13 pm

I know i can download ubuntu free, well actually its not free, i get 2gb a month on telecom T-stik. & ubuntu is 687mb so it certainly eats into my monthly data rate which cost me $60 p/month.
so getting my hands on a copy of Linux ubuntu or Mint so i can try it out would be cool, well lets say better than the Vista i have at present. (no laughing allowed)
I dont have any computer problems at present other than i'm starting to learn about them & just dont know enough.
I want to learn lots so i can change my career into IT work, perhaps network eng or computer repairs.

geek_adrian, Mar 25, 5:23 pm

Looks do not care to most business as long has it does the job they are happy. They do not have time to be in lah lah land mucking about like a home user its a production pc.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 5:25 pm

You'll want mint then.. ubuntu's a bit limited for things like multimedia and flash until you install another 80 MB of codecs and plugins, which is easy enough if you have broadband but a bit of a pain if you don't... mint comes with them all preinstalled.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 5:27 pm

sorry, whens the cue for the applause?

geek_foxray2000, Mar 25, 5:28 pm

keeping it simple, just for you.

geek_foxray2000, Mar 25, 5:28 pm

Yea that sounds awesome, ive never tried Linux yet, was going to years ago when suse was the rave, just got too busy with family i guess.
Anyway, things have changed now & im changing with the times so.......
bring it on, LoL

geek_adrian, Mar 25, 5:46 pm

"I don't appreciate the personal attacks mate it is uncalled for"

I do a hell of a lot of work with Windows too. Occasionally I have a bit of a brainfart where I can't figure out the right way to do something, and rant about how broken Windows is. A lot more often I just quietly fix problems and TM never hears about it.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 5:47 pm

Ok sorry I just got a bit heated up then. But yip you do rant about windows often lol. Its not like a duck to water simply put.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 5:48 pm

To you NOW, but when & what distro did that ss come from? It's the same as Windows 2K default theme. Clean & functional definitely, but only appropriate for preschools, hardly. Back then, ppl marvelled at the XP interface because it was the first of its kind and there was NOTHING to compare it to. Yeah now you can say it looks horrible, but thats because we've seen how many different styles on how many different platforms come to light?... Can't count right.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 6:15 pm

So what's the excuse for people to still use it in 2011, based on your qualifier of taste and style?

geek_cybertao, Mar 25, 6:25 pm

The excuse for many, is that they either don't know about linux, too scared to try it or they prefer XP for whatever reason. You'd be surprised how many people don't even know linux exists but then you'd be more surprised by the amount of people that DO know about linux, but prefer Windows.

Most people that prefer XP, don't even keep the default theme. They either install Windowblinds or hack the themes manager.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 6:49 pm

Intel pentium 4 Dell 3.0 ghz cpu and xp pro is loaded.

geek_v8sronman, Mar 25, 7:44 pm

geek_johnf_456, Mar 25, 7:57 pm

Or perhaps your just simple and its the norm for you, If you want to be funny try a little harder like I said I'm ready when you are

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 25, 11:17 pm

so i got a cd but when loaded it on there is no local connection so i am able to get a website.Any suggestions on how to get it going please !

geek_v8sronman, Mar 26, 5:01 am

Install Linux Mint!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 6:56 am

Load the drivers!

geek_dougstringer, Mar 26, 7:30 am

You're asking someone who doesn't even know why their network isn't going to identify their motherboard, figure out where to get the drivers, figure out how to get them onto the machine when Network doesn't work (chances are USB won't either) . and after that they'll discover that the video sucks, sound also doesn't work.

Seriously, just stick Ubuntu or Mint on the machine!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 7:44 am

Loaded what! The Beach Boys!

geek_badcam, Mar 26, 7:49 am

That too. you're asking someone who doesn't even know exactly what they 'loaded' to.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 7:51 am

$Ka-ching$. unless you know a geek that will do it for a case of beer, you might as well just buy a new computer with the OS preloaded. Paying a tech at the usual rates to set up your no-OS, no-driver-cd second hand computer isn't economic for most people.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 11:09 am

Just installed Windows 7 on a perfectly good but slightly older computer this week. A7S8X-MX botherboard, FX5500 GPU.

After the install there's no network, no sound and the screen is in 800x600 resolution.

Booting Ubuntu 10.04 on the same hardware there IS network, there IS sound and the screen comes up in the LCD monitor's native resolution.

Windows fails.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 12:23 pm

It's a known fact that Windows 7 doesn't support older hardware.Or more to the point, the hardware manufacturers don't create Windows 7 drivers for older hardware. I have had plenty of lucky with Ubuntu and Mint on older hardware. It would be my first choice. A baby could install it. If you don't specifically need Windows (of any version) would you rather bum around opening up your PC to see what hardware is in there or installing hardware analysing software so you can download drivers, or just install an OS that has an abundance of drivers included. If it was an old PC, I know what I'd do.

geek_puddleduck00, Mar 26, 12:32 pm

Just means its failed for that pc, I could say the same on my numerous ubutnu installs here that I have had to muck about with hours on. The fact of the situation is linux is not better than windows and vice versa much of a muchness. But I guess because you prefer that makes it better.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 26, 12:38 pm

SRSLY. My main machine I tried to install XP on (for a demo) . right off the install I'm pretty sure USB didn't work. Absolutely certain that video support was minimal (nvidia GPU) and no network, no sound, no SATA. basically NOTHING.

If I was to install Win7 I have every expectation that I'll have minimal video, no sound and no network here too.

I've installed a fair few machines in the last year and even when it's a Win7 install, Ubuntu ALWAYS supports more hardware right off the live CD than Windows does on a fresh install. No exceptions.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 12:47 pm

Yup hes just a linux nut, I too use linux but I don't preach about it. Some people find it works for them and what they use others its not.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 26, 12:49 pm

This is why I'm posting the motherboard and video card numbers. Feel free to verify for yourself that this hardware does NOT work on a fresh windows install until you find a way to update the drivers using the network you don't have.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 12:53 pm

I don't go looking for unsupported hardware. I just get asked to reinstall / repair / upgrade machines fairly often. And just about every time I observe that not all the hardware works in Windows (usually XP, but often Win7 too) and that if I boot an Ubuntu CD most or all of the same hardware is supported just fine by Linux.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 12:57 pm

So if you have a second hand machine with NO OS and you want to install an OS on it, you have a few options;

1) Pay for XP. And then spend quite a long time finding the drivers.

2) Pay more for Win7, spend less time finding the drivers, but discover that Win7 doesn't run that great on older hardware

3) Put ubuntu on it (which is free) and find that probably 99% of things work right away.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 12:59 pm

Could someone please explain to me, just exactly where Lil'E has been preaching! Anyone!

geek_badcam, Mar 26, 1:07 pm

1) PC will already probably have a coa attached
2) With the right drivers 7 does run ok on older gear compared to its previous version vista.
3) It is not a 99% chance it will work, followed by the fact older stuff will not work on linux been a linux user also here not to mention some older specific apps some users rely on are not avaliable on linux. Then on top of that a lot of people find adapting to new versions of windows hard enough let alone going to a linux based operating system would freak a lot of people out.

But then what if the kids want to run a game or run a game they picked up at the school fairI don't think linux will do with what most home users know. Simple it is not right for everyone, just use what you are comfortable with.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 26, 1:07 pm

By telling people to put linux on the pc and harping on how good linux is, basically implying its fool proof. When it has flaws just like windows.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 26, 1:08 pm

My wife who's a complete and total computer N00B has managed to download, install and play quite a number of downloaded (windows) games from popcap on her computer.

. which runs debian.

I suspect most of the older games she might pick up a school fair would also work just fine.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 1:10 pm

BTW for the record, before I switched the whole family to Ubuntu (about 2005) the kids used to get windows games out of the library. More often than not they wouldn't run on Windows XP without some patch or update. I've had LESS trouble running Windows games in Linux than I used to have running them in Windows.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 1:12 pm

No,I just anticipated that she might and installed WINE. She figured the rest out for herself (basically the same as installing those programs in Windows.)

It's totally standard. Any normal ubuntu user can do the same by going to 'add/remove programs' and selecting the WINE package.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 1:13 pm

Well people just need to know linux is not the golden solution. Why don't you take a help pill so you can post something helpful. Its the same old crap, oh go linux. It is not the dam golden solution, no one knows what sort of hardware the OP has or software they will run on it. So saying linux is the solution is crap.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 26, 1:18 pm

Huh! No one's saying Linux is perfect. Neither is Windows. Mint or Ubuntu are ridiculously easy to try out and ideal for this situation.

geek_rua69, Mar 26, 1:23 pm

I'm saying Linux is more likely to support everything right from a fresh install than Windows. That's my experience with one hell of a lot of second hand hardware and backed up by solid evidence from the developers who make that hardware work. http://ostatic.com/blog/linux-supports-more-devices-than-any-other-os

More to the point though, there's nothing to loose. The machine has NO OS.
Linux costs NOTHING. Not even the time to install it.

Put a live CD in. See what works. If you're not happy put the CD aside and install Windows and see if more hardware works, or less.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 1:25 pm

Good reading & googling skills are all that is required.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 26, 1:29 pm

They're not asking in the right places.

#ubuntu on freenode.
nzlug or wlug mailing lists
Right here (I'm always happy to answer Linux support questions)

geek_little_egypt, Mar 26, 1:30 pm