Just bought a pc but no os on it

I have never had an issue with drivers on any windows version since 98 which was a pig for drivers except for a USB wireless TPlink card on vista. Didn't find the drivers so I Simply put in a different stick and it worked no sweat, no hours of trawling the interwebs for drivers in a frustrated search.

geek_jcmp21, Mar 27, 12:34 am

Have you ever had a machine come up where all the hardware 'just worked' perfectly and you didn't need to find any drivers at all?

Under any version of Windows?

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 9:11 am

BTW I may just take my win7 dvd and XP pro SP3 down to the community center and try it on the seven donated machines there. For the record they all worked perfectly out of the box with Ubuntu (I had to change the xconfig on one because the monitor wasn't reporting correctly) so it'll be interesting to see if the same seven 'random' machines have anything like the same level of hardware support in Windows. I'll keep you posted.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 9:17 am

Yes many of times with generic PC's with custom buikt jobs you often search for hardware drivers, I have an app that sorts all that in a matter of minutes anyway.But the fact you asked the question shows how little you know about windows operating systems,. Get a bit of knowledge before yourun your mouth seriously

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 27, 9:18 am

Are you for real?The fact he asked shows he has experience with Windows.People who don't know any better would assume it all works out of the box.
Linux users didn't just fall out of the penguin tree yesterday.

geek_cybertao, Mar 27, 9:24 am

Uhhh, I have NEVER not once put any version of Windows on a machine and had all the hardware work. That includes switching to win7 on some fairly recent machines. That's my point. It's usually not hard to find the drivers but it's ALWAYS required.

Compare to the seven completely random donated machines at Te Whare O Te Ata. I didn't choose those machines because they ran linux. They're just old junk from eday or that people have dropped off.

And yet on every single one I get video at native resolution, sound, network, SATA if the motherboard has it, multimedia keys working on the ones that have multimedia keyboards. From just a standard ubuntu install right off the CD.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 9:29 am

So what's your prediction for Windows 7 and Windows XP on the same machines?

Will they have support for video at the screen's native resolution, network, and sound and SATA and multimedia keys right from a fresh windows install for either version of Windows? Or will I have to go find drivers to get that.

My bet at this point is that for both versions of windows I will need additional drivers for EVERY SINGLE MACHINE.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 9:33 am

And if you think that's an unfair test because XP is too old and Windows7 is too new, tell me (again) what version of Windows I should use? What version of Windows gives me, right from a fresh install with no extra work, the same functionality that I can get from Ubuntu right now for free?

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 9:37 am

None!

geek_ettenyl, Mar 27, 9:43 am

repairs_hlv_420

Why do you insist on putting the quote at the bottom of the post?

There is always someone who has to be different.

geek_..pip.., Mar 27, 9:46 am

A: Because it breaks the flow of the conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting bad?

geek_little_egypt, Mar 27, 11:55 am

Why do you insist putting it on the Top?

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 27, 12:06 pm

Nothing wrong with Vista if you have decent hardware to run it on.

geek_carkitter, Mar 28, 12:07 am

Time for a record change!

geek_jcmp21, Mar 28, 12:29 am

I have never had an issue with drivers on any windows version since 98 which was a pig for drivers except for a USB wireless TPlink card on vista. Didn't find the drivers so I Simply put in a different stick and it worked no sweat, no hours of trawling the interwebs for drivers in a frustrated search.

geek_jcmp21, Mar 28, 12:34 am

Have you ever had a machine come up where all the hardware 'just worked' perfectly and you didn't need to find any drivers at all!

Under any version of Windows!

I understand it happens with win7 and very new hardware. It's also the case on (some) machines before 2001 running XP where 'generic vga' is the best the hardware can do anyhow. but other than that, any random second hand machine!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 9:11 am

BTW I may just take my win7 dvd and XP pro SP3 down to the community center and try it on the seven donated machines there. For the record they all worked perfectly out of the box with Ubuntu (I had to change the xconfig on one because the monitor wasn't reporting correctly) so it'll be interesting to see if the same seven 'random' machines have anything like the same level of hardware support in Windows. I'll keep you posted.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 9:17 am

Are you for real!The fact he asked shows he has experience with Windows.People who don't know any better would assume it all works out of the box.
Linux users didn't just fall out of the penguin tree yesterday.

geek_cybertao, Mar 28, 9:24 am

Uhhh, I have NEVER not once put any version of Windows on a machine and had all the hardware work. That includes switching to win7 on some fairly recent machines. That's my point. It's usually not hard to find the drivers but it's ALWAYS required.

Compare to the seven completely random donated machines at Te Whare O Te Ata. I didn't choose those machines because they ran linux. They're just old junk from eday or that people have dropped off.

And yet on every single one I get video at native resolution, sound, network, SATA if the motherboard has it, multimedia keys working on the ones that have multimedia keyboards. From just a standard ubuntu install right off the CD.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 9:29 am

So what's your prediction for Windows 7 and Windows XP on the same machines!

Will they have support for video at the screen's native resolution, network, and sound and SATA and multimedia keys right from a fresh windows install for either version of Windows! Or will I have to go find drivers to get that.

My bet at this point is that for both versions of windows I will need additional drivers for EVERY SINGLE MACHINE.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 9:33 am

And if you think that's an unfair test because XP is too old and Windows7 is too new, tell me (again) what version of Windows I should use! What version of Windows gives me, right from a fresh install with no extra work, the same functionality that I can get from Ubuntu right now for free!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 9:37 am

repairs_hlv_420

Why do you insist on putting the quote at the bottom of the post!

There is always someone who has to be different.

geek_..pip.., Mar 28, 9:46 am

A: Because it breaks the flow of the conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting bad!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 28, 11:55 am