Web Hosting

There are so many web hosting companies but I do not know which one to choose. Not concerned about finding the cheapest but definitely want something very reliable with fast loading times.
Have heard good things about hostgator but thought id ask the message boards opinion before moving ahead.
What about NZ hosts? Are there any advantages to using them over international hosts? The storage and traffic definitely are definitely better value from international hosts.
Which NZ hosts are the most reliable and best value for money?

geek_shane16, Mar 25, 12:48 pm

digiweb if you want local hosting.
hostgator is perfectly acceptable for overseas hosting.

Local hosting generally equals a faster experience for your customers.

geek_hdmovies, Mar 25, 1:27 pm

Agree with HD, a local host = faster page loading, so if you have media pics and videos definitely go local, its costs a little more than international hosts, but not much more

geek_stardesta, Mar 25, 7:13 pm

In the past I would have recommended kiwi web hosting who I've used for years but since they have been taken over by Orcon...pffft.

I have heard good things about Hosting Direct and their plans look good.Does any have any experience with them?

From person experience I think it's worth the small premium you pay for local hosting.

geek_orangepony, Mar 25, 7:16 pm

Overseas hosting can have it's disadvantages, such as some search engines can rank an overseas hosted NZ websites as an overseas website due to the IPS. Also loading speeds and response time can be an issue. Also you are bound by the laws of the country that the host is operating in, which will differ from NZs laws. If I was a business I would use NZ based hosting. For personal hosting where reliability wasn't too important, I would probably use US hosting.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 25, 7:46 pm

There are so many web hosting companies but I do not know which one to choose. Not concerned about finding the cheapest but definitely want something very reliable with fast loading times.
Have heard good things about hostgator but thought id ask the message boards opinion before moving ahead.
What about NZ hosts! Are there any advantages to using them over international hosts! The storage and traffic definitely are definitely better value from international hosts.
Which NZ hosts are the most reliable and best value for money!

geek_shane16, Mar 26, 12:48 pm

Overseas hosting can have it's disadvantages, such as some search engines can rank an overseas hosted NZ websites as an overseas website due to the IPS. Also loading speeds and response time can be an issue. Also you are bound by the laws of the country that the host is operating in, which will differ from NZs laws. If I was a business I would use NZ based hosting. For personal hosting where reliability wasn't too important, I would probably use US hosting.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 26, 7:46 pm