How do i restore my computer to a week ago? Page 1 / 2

skelevengeance, Mar 26, 11:14pm
something i've downloaded in the last week is slowly killing my computer. i can't be bothered going into detail, i just want to be able to restore it to 7 days ago. way way back in the day i used to know how to do this, now i can't think of how to to save my life!
i'm on a pc with windows xp. i don't really know what other details you need, but some help would be a life saver! especially since it isn't really my computer.. my mac has already died on me :/

kew, Mar 26, 11:16pm
Start - Control Panel - Performance and maintenance and on the left you will find "System Restore"

dunedin_ree, Mar 26, 11:16pm
You should go into detail because going back to a restore point might not fix it.They're not time machines.

froggyb, Mar 26, 11:18pm
even if u do system restore , if the machine is infected , it will just roll back with it

painterman, Mar 26, 11:22pm
There is no hope then, time to buy another one

froggyb, Mar 26, 11:23pm
well worst case , if u have nothing to lose , format and reinstall windows see if it runs fine or just as poorly

skelevengeance, Mar 26, 11:32pm
other than just making the computer a bit slower than normal, it's mainly just screwing up anything i do online? eg: every time i got to my internet banking, i log in and everythings fine, but as soon as i click anything and go to leave the login page (eg the transfer page) it logs me out and tells me i've timed out. i would have thought this was just the site itself screwing up, if it wasn't for about 6 other sites i visit every day having problems the same. for example, on tumblr, i can view everything fine, but i can't post, repost etc. on trademe, every time i bid on something (even things i've already bid on and now been outbid on) it comes up with an error. i've contacted support on all of these sites, but now i'm just begining to realize it's not really the sites having faults.. it's this stupid computer.

dunedin_ree, Mar 26, 11:33pm
Sounds like your browser, not your entire computer.

And your browser is...?

froggyb, Mar 26, 11:35pm
try firefox or chrome if your using ie which is rubbish

skelevengeance, Mar 26, 11:39pm
i'm using firefox

dunedin_ree, Mar 26, 11:41pm
Clear cookies and cache from firefox and try again.

skelevengeance, Mar 26, 11:46pm
i've already done that. i'll try chrome and see if that works

dunedin_ree, Mar 26, 11:47pm
Next step - try Firefox in safe mode (firefox's own safe mode).

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 1:16am
google chrome is extremely slow, is this normal? i've been able to get on tumblr and it's working fine. unfortunately it's way to slow and still hasn't loaded trademe yet to see if i can bid or not!

froggyb, Mar 27, 1:24am
http://www.speedtest.net/ ..............test the speed of the net i think maybe theres nothing wrong other then u have been capped .......time to call isp and find out if speedtest shows slow speed.

carkitter, Mar 27, 2:30am
Spec of the PC? (CPU, RAM, Type and speed of HDD?)
Have you run an anti virus program? Are the urls in the address bar what you would expect to see or are you being redirected by malware?

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 2:36am
download speed: 0.12mbps, upload speed: 0.02mbps
i am very unintelligent when it comes to cpmputers, but that doesn't sound very good at all?

..pip.., Mar 27, 2:39am
Have you actually done any virus or malware scans to see what the problem is?As Ree said a computer isn't a time machine and the problem will just roll back with it.

froggyb, Mar 27, 9:32am
lol no ring isp if u have not already see if u have gone over your cap

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 11:14pm
something i've downloaded in the last week is slowly killing my computer. i can't be bothered going into detail, i just want to be able to restore it to 7 days ago. way way back in the day i used to know how to do this, now i can't think of how to to save my life!
i'm on a pc with windows xp. i don't really know what other details you need, but some help would be a life saver! especially since it isn't really my computer. my mac has already died on me :/

dunedin_ree, Mar 27, 11:16pm
You should go into detail because going back to a restore point might not fix it.They're not time machines.

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 11:32pm
other than just making the computer a bit slower than normal, it's mainly just screwing up anything i do online! eg: every time i got to my internet banking, i log in and everythings fine, but as soon as i click anything and go to leave the login page (eg the transfer page) it logs me out and tells me i've timed out. i would have thought this was just the site itself screwing up, if it wasn't for about 6 other sites i visit every day having problems the same. for example, on tumblr, i can view everything fine, but i can't post, repost etc. on trademe, every time i bid on something (even things i've already bid on and now been outbid on) it comes up with an error. i've contacted support on all of these sites, but now i'm just begining to realize it's not really the sites having faults. it's this stupid computer.

dunedin_ree, Mar 27, 11:33pm
Sounds like your browser, not your entire computer.

And your browser is.!

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 11:39pm
i'm using firefox

skelevengeance, Mar 27, 11:46pm
i've already done that. i'll try chrome and see if that works

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)