ADSL LINE FILTER.. buggered?

Dlink g604t (wireless with 4 ethernet ports) stopped working today. ADSL light started flashing continuously and couldnt connect to net. After a lot of shagging around have figured out that when phone is plugged into line filter with the modem plugged in it makes the flashing light... take out the phone from the filter and the dlink connects back up and ADSL light goes solid again and have the internet again.

Is this time for a new line filter? Or is there another problem I dont know about?

Cheers

geek_skyline_guy_r34, Apr 1, 7:16 pm

Definitely sounds like the filter

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 1, 7:23 pm

Ill try another filter tomorrow and see how I go. No phoneline for now though.

geek_skyline_guy_r34, Apr 1, 7:30 pm

Just incase you don't know if its just modem off that jack point no filter is needed.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 1, 7:34 pm

I never use a filter on my adsl modems...

I only use them on phones...

geek_mr_lovebug, Apr 1, 7:36 pm

Yes you should only use filters on the phones (and faxes) but many filters have an unfiltered port to connect the modem to which allows a phone and modem to share the same port.

geek_vtecintegra, Apr 1, 7:38 pm

You can use both without the filter you know. Likely to cause a shitty phone line but it's workable until you get another filter.

geek_lythande1, Apr 1, 7:48 pm

Dont have the right adaptor though as wall has telephone jack but modem has the slightly more square connector. So more using the filter to plug the modem into the jack point anyway

geek_skyline_guy_r34, Apr 1, 7:50 pm

In the past I've found a few phones work pretty well with no filter, eg you can still call out without affecting the connection. The phone ringing with no filter usually kills it though.

geek_little_egypt, Apr 1, 7:51 pm

Hijacking the thread, but can line filters deteriorate or is a case of they either work properly or they don't?

TIA.

geek_..pip.., Apr 1, 8:00 pm

They deteriorate .. it's pretty common for a filter that was working fine when you bought it to just 'go bad' six months later.

geek_little_egypt, Apr 1, 8:03 pm

Dlink g604t (wireless with 4 ethernet ports) stopped working today. ADSL light started flashing continuously and couldnt connect to net. After a lot of shagging around have figured out that when phone is plugged into line filter with the modem plugged in it makes the flashing light. take out the phone from the filter and the dlink connects back up and ADSL light goes solid again and have the internet again.

Is this time for a new line filter! Or is there another problem I dont know about!

Cheers

geek_skyline_guy_r34, Apr 2, 8:16 pm

Just incase you don't know if its just modem off that jack point no filter is needed.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 2, 8:34 pm

I never use a filter on my adsl modems.

I only use them on phones.

geek_mr_lovebug, Apr 2, 8:36 pm

You can use both without the filter you know. Likely to cause a shitty phone line but it's workable until you get another filter.

geek_lythande1, Apr 2, 8:48 pm

In the past I've found a few phones work pretty well with no filter, eg you can still call out without affecting the connection. The phone ringing with no filter usually kills it though. (calling the line is my acid test for bad filters, it seems to be the first thing that fails)

geek_little_egypt, Apr 2, 8:51 pm

Hijacking the thread, but can line filters deteriorate or is a case of they either work properly or they don't!

TIA.

geek_..pip.., Apr 2, 9:00 pm

They deteriorate . it's pretty common for a filter that was working fine when you bought it to just 'go bad' six months later.

geek_little_egypt, Apr 2, 9:03 pm

Thanks.Mine are a few years old now and our line speed has certainly dropped in that time (not to mention phone line quality)So I might pick up a few new filters :)

geek_..pip.., Apr 3, 4:14 pm

Got an unused filter off my mate this arvo and away I go again. No more problems.

geek_skyline_guy_r34, Apr 3, 6:12 pm

Personally I'd wire up a splitter, more reliable and no more filters hanging out of your sockets and you can have more than 5 devices. Plus line filters actually decrease sync speed also, upgraded mine from filters to a splitter and the sync shot up. Its the way to go.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 3, 6:19 pm

2.4 GHZ phones suck with wireless.

I you have 2.4 GHZ phones, try this.

Turn off wireless in the modem, and connect by cable only and see if it works.

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 3, 6:21 pm

cordless phones do not affect the actual adsl side of the connection, perhaps read post 1.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 3, 6:21 pm

Duh...perhaps take a flying fig,,

Duh,, I know that.

Worth eliminating,,,????

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 3, 6:53 pm

ADSL light blinking means it's on the ADSL/PPPoA side of the connection, _NOTHING_ to do with the wireless.

Rare for me to agree with John, I know..

geek_little_egypt, Apr 3, 7:02 pm

you do agree with me often just not on the over the top linux threads and rants.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 3, 7:11 pm

I agree that you agree, with whats his face,,,LOL...

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 3, 7:21 pm

I had a dynalink filter that developed a fault.I still use it to plug my phone into, but I can't plug my network cable into it, because it degrades the adsl connection speed too much, and it causes disconnets.So sometimes only 1 jackpoint of the filter will fail.

geek_peter148, Apr 3, 9:08 pm

Personally I'd wire up a splitter, more reliable and no more filters hanging out of your sockets and you can have more than 5 devices. Plus line filters actually decrease sync speed also, upgraded mine from filters to a splitter and the sync shot up. Its the way to go.

geek_johnf_456, Apr 4, 6:19 pm

Duh.perhaps take a flying fig,,

Duh,, I know that.

Worth eliminating,,,!

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 4, 6:53 pm

ADSL light blinking means it's on the ADSL/PPPoA side of the connection, _NOTHING_ to do with the wireless.

Rare for me to agree with John, I know.

geek_little_egypt, Apr 4, 7:02 pm

I agree that you agree, with whats his face,,,LOL.

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 4, 7:21 pm

I had a dynalink filter that developed a fault.I still use it to plug my phone into, but I can't plug my network cable into it, because it degrades the adsl connection speed too much, and it causes disconnets.So sometimes only 1 jackpoint of the filter will fail.

geek_peter148, Apr 4, 9:08 pm