Portable computer advice please ...

Hi, I currently go traveling with a HP iPAQ handheld pocket computer with all my notes and info on it, but with failing eyesight the screen (70mm x 55mm) has become just too small to read text files, maps, PDF's etc. I don't want to take a laptop due to it's size and weight, could anyone familiar with the smaller range of portable computers advise me of something suitable, larger than a handheld and smaller than a laptop. It must be connectible by USB to other computers. Thanks.

geek_alli2, Apr 5, 3:18 pm

Toshiba netbook-or Asus

geek_lilyfield, Apr 5, 3:57 pm

Connectable via USB to other computers? What do you mean?

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 5, 4:01 pm

Some cheap units are "notetakers" only.

geek_alli2, Apr 5, 4:34 pm

A large magnifying glass could be cheaper?

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 5, 5:45 pm

An iPad would be worth considering.It would definitely do PDFs, maps, text files and so on (as well as internet browsing, email, movies, music, photos, etc etc).

A netbook (pick a good brand though, like Asus!don't get sucked into buying one of those $200 "netbooks" which run Windows CE) would also do the trick - but IMO an iPad would give you an experience more similar to what you currently have with your iPaq.

geek_dunedin_ree, Apr 5, 5:58 pm

PC technology based manufacturers, Toshiba is one I know of, will be bringing out slates to compete with the iPad. Unfortunately from what I heard yesterday Toshiba won't be introducing theirs til later this year. It would be worth doing some research into the slate technology being introduced if you are PC orientated rather than Mac.
Edited to add: I have no issue with Mac technology this is just an alternate avenue to the iPad option.

geek_zaowl, Apr 5, 7:28 pm

Wouldnt it be cool if you just put on a pair of classes, plug them into lappy, Ipod, phone,, and there is your computer screen and you can just dial the size in and out,,,,look out for traffic,,,LOL.

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 5, 7:48 pm

Hi, I currently go traveling with a HP iPAQ handheld pocket computer with all my notes and info on it, but with failing eyesight the screen (70mm x 55mm) has become just too small to read text files, maps, PDF's etc. I don't want to take a laptop due to it's size and weight, could anyone familiar with the smaller range of portable computers advise me of something suitable, larger than a handheld and smaller than a laptop. It must be connectible by USB to other computers. Thanks.

geek_alli2, Apr 6, 3:18 pm

Connectable via USB to other computers! What do you mean!

geek_suicidemonkey, Apr 6, 4:01 pm

A large magnifying glass could be cheaper!

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 6, 5:45 pm

An iPad would be worth considering.It would definitely do PDFs, maps, text files and so on (as well as internet browsing, email, movies, music, photos, etc etc).

A netbook (pick a good brand though, like Asus!don't get sucked into buying one of those $200 "netbooks" which run Windows CE) would also do the trick - but IMO an iPad would give you an experience more similar to what you currently have with your iPaq.

geek_dunedin_ree, Apr 6, 5:58 pm

Thanks folks, I'll check out some of your suggestions.

geek_alli2, Apr 6, 7:13 pm

PC technology based manufacturers, Toshiba is one I know of, will be bringing out slates to compete with the iPad. Unfortunately from what I heard yesterday Toshiba won't be introducing theirs til later this year. It would be worth doing some research into the slate technology being introduced if you are PC orientated rather than Mac.
Edited to add: I have no issue with Mac technology this is just an alternate avenue to the iPad option.

geek_zaowl, Apr 6, 7:28 pm

Thanks folks, I'll check out some of your suggestions.

geek_alli2, Apr 7, 7:13 pm