Your advice please, Windows task manager

Hi, I am very basic when it comes to my computer (old lady) I was told when my computer would not get out of a programe to hold ctrl, alt and delete... No probs there,when I go to applications in WTM I get a page of programes which are running from between 28 - 85000K memory use, is it normal when nothing but Firefox (Trademe ) is running to have so many programs there, we get 20?? from Telecom each month and seen to run out before the end of the month, don't seem to download very much though, we leave the computer running 24/7. Is there something wrong with my computer??? Thanks

geek_mackenzie2, Apr 12, 8:25 am

Yes it is normal. The memory numbers in TM have nothing to with your internet usage though. You might not think you are downloading much, but it mounts up with things like Skype, Facebook games, youtube videos.

geek_r.g.nixon, Apr 12, 8:40 am

Thank you. I won't delete them all now then....

geek_mackenzie2, Apr 12, 10:01 am

I would say that using 20G just browsing and "not downloading much" is excessive.Unless as RGNixon stated, you watch a lot of videos or do a lot of gaming or Skype etc.Just browsing should definitely not use that much.Try turning the computer off at nite, and see if it reduces (you will save yourself a little bit of power as well).If it does reduce then you very likely do have a problem.

geek_tel4, Apr 12, 4:29 pm

Disable start-up programs, just google it.

Update security and run a scan.

Install Ccleaner.

And check if you have wireless built in to your modem and that it is secure otherwise anyone can download from you.

Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware runs next to any Antivirus program both of these are free and very good. Just google it.

My guess is something like a torrent program or Limewire is loading at start-up when this happens they can auto download and upload.

I run a business on 10 gigs a months and don't run out.

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 12, 7:18 pm

Use "netstat " from the commandline to see what processes/executables have network connections in use if you want to look into possible probs with your usage. Do a "netstat /?" to see available options.

geek_ross1970, Apr 12, 7:20 pm

Hi, I am very basic when it comes to my computer (old lady) I was told when my computer would not get out of a programe to hold ctrl, alt and delete. No probs there,when I go to applications in WTM I get a page of programes which are running from between 28 - 85000K memory use, is it normal when nothing but Firefox (Trademe ) is running to have so many programs there, we get 20G from Telecom each month and seen to run out before the end of the month, don't seem to download very much though, we leave the computer running 24/7. Is there something wrong with my computer! Thanks

geek_mackenzie2, Apr 13, 8:25 am

Thank you. I won't delete them all now then.

geek_mackenzie2, Apr 13, 10:01 am

Disable start-up programs, just google it.

Update security and run a scan.

Install Ccleaner.

And check if you have wireless built in to your modem and that it is secure otherwise anyone can download from you.

Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware runs next to any Antivirus program both of these are free and very good. Just google it.

My guess is something like a torrent program or Limewire is loading at start-up when this happens they can auto download and upload.

I run a business on 10 gigs a months and don't run out.

geek_pcfix4u, Apr 13, 7:18 pm

Use "netstat " from the commandline to see what processes/executables have network connections in use if you want to look into possible probs with your usage. Do a "netstat /!" to see available options.

geek_ross1970, Apr 13, 7:20 pm