Help, mac os x 10. How to get rid of -

Icons on the desk top?

I draged an audio book from itunes to the desk top, it looks like there is only one icon but there are hundreds, one on top of the other (if there is 10 discs in the audio book, and 20 files on each disc, thats 200 icons (files) to get rid of), and I can only get rid of them one at a time, can't find a sellect all button. Can anyone please help? Thanks, Lee.

geek_lee5, Apr 25, 12:23 am

Hi there to get rid of your files.... right click mouse and drag over the files, there will be a boarder around your files and the name at the bottom of your files should go blue then drag to trash.

geek_jumpback, Apr 25, 12:52 am

Okay, thought I'd learn't something new there... but right clicking brings up the context menu...
But pretty much what jumpback said except it's just a normal every day left click. Just like on windows, if you drag a marquee over a bunch of icons - even if they are all on top of one another - they will all be selected. Then drag to trash.

But also, just like in windows, cmd+a (ctrl+a) is a universal shortcut for "select all" in just about every application.

geek_-mung-, Apr 25, 3:56 am

Alternatively, open a new Finder window and select Desktop.Put it in list view (so you see a list of filenames, not big icons at intervals), then sort by Date Modified.This will put all the newest files added to the Desktop at either the top or the bottom of the Finder window, depending which way you have the triangle pointing.Click on the first unwanted item in the list, scroll down to the last, hold shift, click the last item.The whole lot should now be selected.Drag 'em to the Trash or hit command-delete.If there's anything in the list that shouldn't be, command-click it and it should remove just that one item from the selection.

geek_thegilly, Apr 25, 10:55 am

Thanks so much guys, you are life savers! Lee.

geek_lee5, Apr 25, 12:01 pm

Icons on the desk top!

I draged an audio book from itunes to the desk top, it looks like there is only one icon but there are hundreds, one on top of the other (if there is 10 discs in the audio book, and 20 files on each disc, thats 200 icons (files) to get rid of), and I can only get rid of them one at a time, can't find a sellect all button. Can anyone please help! Thanks, Lee.

geek_lee5, Apr 26, 12:23 am

Hi there to get rid of your files. right click mouse and drag over the files, there will be a boarder around your files and the name at the bottom of your files should go blue then drag to trash.

geek_jumpback, Apr 26, 12:52 am

Okay, thought I'd learn't something new there. but right clicking brings up the context menu.
But pretty much what jumpback said except it's just a normal every day left click. Just like on windows, if you drag a marquee over a bunch of icons - even if they are all on top of one another - they will all be selected. Then drag to trash.

But also, just like in windows, cmd+a (ctrl+a) is a universal shortcut for "select all" in just about every application.

geek_-mung-, Apr 26, 3:56 am

Alternatively, open a new Finder window and select Desktop.Put it in list view (so you see a list of filenames, not big icons at intervals), then sort by Date Modified.This will put all the newest files added to the Desktop at either the top or the bottom of the Finder window, depending which way you have the triangle pointing.Click on the first unwanted item in the list, scroll down to the last, hold shift, click the last item.The whole lot should now be selected.Drag 'em to the Trash or hit command-delete.If there's anything in the list that shouldn't be, command-click it and it should remove just that one item from the selection.

geek_thegilly, Apr 26, 10:55 am