Thunderbird, IMAP and Gmail...

Thunderbird, IMAP and GmailI'm using thunderbird to access gmail (IMAP) and every now and then it prompts me with the password screen (even though I have ticked remember) Only when receiving, not sending...My password is still in the password prompt box, so I only have to click okay, but it's fricken annoying. Anyone had this issue?

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 4, 11:50 am

Why not try POP GMail? Works for me, 100%. Incoming Server name: pop.gmail.com Port: 995 Username: your full email address Security Settings: tick SSL. Outgoing: use your ISP - you may have to put your reply-to address as your Gmail one - I use my own mail server so have not had to overcome this problem.

geek_sighkick, Jun 4, 11:58 am

Cos I use Ubuntu and XP and check my email on both, so want them syncronised. I used to use POP3 before I dual booted and it was great. But need IMAP.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 4, 1:18 pm

Have you tried deleting it from the passwordmanager in Tbird and redoing it from scratch?

geek_mcceltic, Jun 4, 1:24 pm

Will try that cheers mceltic, didn't even think of that...Will be a while before i know before i know if it has worked cos it only asks every few hours.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 4, 1:26 pm

Handy I supposeBut even with POP mail, a copy of all my received mail remains on the server until I delete it. Anyway - so long as it works for you :)

geek_sighkick, Jun 4, 1:27 pm

No worries it may or may not work. I used to use Tbird for email with IMAP through Gmail, but now just use it online again with the Better Gmail 2 FFox extension.

geek_mcceltic, Jun 4, 1:28 pm

Damn it no luck..Don't think there's much else I can do, I have had a good google. Might try uninstalling, using ccleaner and reinstalling..However I suspect it's more to do with gmail rather than thunderbird.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 6, 12:26 am

Similar issueI use the Google Notifier (app for Mac) to let me know when my gmail account has new mail. With the "remember password" box ticked, it still asks me for my password every couple of days. Sounds like a similar issue to you.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jun 6, 12:43 am

Puddleduck00 Now that Hardy can read/right NTFS just set up your gmail for pop and in the Account Settings Local Directory browse to your TB Local Settings folder on your Windows partition. Restart TB and all your folders and email will appear.

geek_wakari06, Jun 6, 9:37 am

Bump for the duck

geek_wakari06, Jun 6, 4:22 pm

Woops sorry wakari didn't see your post That's a fantastic idea. I'll give that a shot for sure. I'll let you know how I get on.

geek_puddleduck00, Jun 7, 12:09 am

No worries

geek_wakari06, Jun 7, 12:10 am