Hi, long time no problems-DVXXXX reflow, recommen

reeveopd, thanks for the link.

geek_olack, Feb 15, 8:39 pm

found someone who will do it for $60, motherboard removed from the laptop.

geek_olack, Feb 16, 8:56 pm

You can do it yourself for nothing. Just run a mini blow torch ($15 at mitre 10) around graphics chip for about 30-40 seconds and stop when you see solder change shape and sort of run. But it'll still only last a couple of weeks. Reball, or a new one. Always be troublebecause there's not enough copper to absorb all the heat.

geek_hakatere1, Feb 16, 11:25 pm

I had to get my desktop going the other day with a stuffed 8800GTS. Couldn't find another working PCIex graphics card. Got desperate and with nothing to lose, found a plumbing MAP gas bottle in the barn. Removed the sink and shielded the sensitive bits. Lightly blasted each RAM chip for a few seconds. The edge of the PCB caught fire and the corner of one chip glowed briefly but it all seems to go fine now.
Been running better than ever since. Even dusted off some games just for giggles. No issues. But its on bonus time though I think.

I wouldn't pay anyone to re-flow unless it was a professional outfit using the proper gear. What are you getting for $60! For that price I'd expect a teen whose going to try bake it without removing the bits that melt.

geek_oclaf, Feb 16, 11:52 pm

I had to get my desktop going the other day with a stuffed 8800GTS. Couldn't find another working PCIex graphics card. Got desperate and with nothing to lose, found a plumbing MAP gas bottle in the barn. Removed the sink and shielded the sensitive bits. Lightly blasted each RAM chip for a few seconds. The edge of the PCB caught fire and the corner of one chip glowed briefly but it all seems to go fine now.
Been running better than ever since. Even dusted off some games just for giggles. No issues. But its on bonus time though I think. The replacements arrived now though.

I wouldn't pay anyone to re-flow unless it was a professional outfit using the proper gear. What are you getting for $60! For that price I'd expect a teen whose going to try bake it without removing the bits that melt.

geek_oclaf, Feb 16, 11:52 pm

We do the re-flows for $99 but its a pain to do. there are few people in NZ that can do the reball's especially for the DV series. we can do it but id need to order the correct template for the chip. which would take about 3 weeks to come in and then in the process its very easy to have 1 of the 100's of solder balls not to melt and accidentally remove a line of circuitry. re-balling laptop's cost $189

geek_sunshine60, Feb 17, 12:06 am

and dont use an oven.

geek_sunshine60, Feb 17, 12:07 am

Even that's cheaper than I'd expect. I wonder what Olack's getting.

geek_oclaf, Feb 17, 12:18 am

. the upgrade from an oven. a toaster oven. lol

geek_sunshine60, Feb 17, 12:28 am

And now its dead. Booted into windows fine. Started doing some work. After 10 mins I got a pretty rainbow screen and then black.
In total I probably got a about 20 more hours out of it after my blowtorch re-flow. It got me going when I needed it most and tied me over to my replacement, but it was certainly was not a permanent fix. Not that I expected it to be though.

geek_oclaf, Feb 17, 3:09 pm

Lurker here. You are still going have tin based solder in the chipYou would need to improve the cooling considerably as the fault would occur again. The better solution would be to replace the chip with the latest version if possible. It strikes me what with labour charges as they are , just dismantling the laptop as shown in #2 and reassembling, just apart from the reflow work, would make thejobBER as we used to say. i.e.Beyond economical repair.

geek_biggal, Feb 18, 10:04 am

They're specifically lead-free solder so may contain more than just tin. Copper, silver, bismuth, indium, zinc, antimony are some other metals used in lead-free solder. The point is without lead, the solder becomes brittle after heating and cooling over a period of time & eventually breaks the contact between the BGA chip and the board. So cooling has minimal effect on whether the chip or specifically the contact between the chip & board will break in the future.

geek_lostdude, Feb 18, 12:46 pm

Yup. The whole thing sounds like a messy business to me. A large scale intervention as described in #2 could also lead to creating new faults as I can testify to. What sort of a bill would the owner end upwith!

geek_biggal, Feb 18, 5:23 pm

Can anyone recommend someone who can do this repair work in Auckland or New Zealand.

geek_olack, May 7, 10:23 pm

You could DIY, bake it in the oven, google it first for more info.

geek_reeveopd, May 7, 10:34 pm

When I get permission from the owners I will. AMazing what happens when you threaten yourself with action lol.

geek_olack, May 7, 11:24 pm

Thanks for the link, I will try this soon.

geek_olack, May 7, 11:54 pm

I fixed one by putting the board in teh oven for 7 mins @ 200 degrees.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, May 7, 11:57 pm

Yup that's one way to do it, just need to make sure you totally strip the board, stickers and all.

geek_reeveopd, May 8, 12:10 am

Reflowing will eventually just fail again. Best to reball. Get in contact with xbox 360 repairers, they'll probably have the right stencil for your laptop too.

geek_lostdude, May 8, 11:07 am

geek_reeveopd, May 8, 10:34 pm

Yup that's one way to do it, just need to make sure you totally strip the board, stickers and all.

geek_reeveopd, May 9, 12:10 am

Reflowing will eventually just fail again. Best to reball. Get in contact with xbox 360 repairers, they'll probably have the right stencil for your laptop too.

geek_lostdude, May 9, 11:07 am

hi,can some help me with my graphics card..its a 9800gtx,,had it reflowed and 6 months later same problem.such a lovely card,i dont use for gaming.please txt me with any suggestions,,just not the oven job.0212667542..lower hutt

geek_guest, Jun 6, 11:55 pm