Acer laptop (1.5 years old) running very slow!!!

Acer 5536 2.1ghz, 4g ram. Can anyone tell me what I can check to find out why it is running so slow? It really struggles with Facebook. Trademe is fine but Gmail is also slow. Connection is fine as girl friends lap top is running fine.

geek_brodie64, May 9, 4:07 pm

So it's not a laptop that is running slow, but your internet...

geek_enigma, May 9, 4:10 pm

Well update your virus protection, your Malware protection and also get/run Ccleaner and run them all. Then see how it goes.

geek_swivel, May 9, 4:24 pm

Did you read all of the OP message

geek_swivel, May 9, 4:24 pm

Its NOT the internet as the girl friends is running fine ie on the same connection. I am only using AVG and have done a scan and it says everything is fine. Im not even sure what malware is. Any help would be good thanks

geek_brodie64, May 9, 5:14 pm

www.filehippo.com and get malwarebytes anti-malware and also ccleaner. Then run them (both free and good)

geek_swivel, May 9, 5:32 pm

If you don't know what Malware is, it's very likely your laptop is loaded with it. As you said, your laptop is slow when browsing but your girlfriend's isn't. Do as Swivel said and get those programs and run them. You'll probably be surprised how much they find.

geek_speedwayfan1, May 9, 5:36 pm

Do as swivel has advised above.

geek_pheonix, May 9, 5:40 pm

Do as above.

Then google how to disable start-up items.

check for dust build up.

geek_pcfix4u, May 9, 5:42 pm

Stop mucking around and just do as you're told...dammit.

geek_hakatere1, May 9, 7:35 pm

also try running it plugged in without the battery. Sometimes when the battery is dying it can make the computer slow

geek_ferita, May 9, 8:27 pm

Acer 5536 2.1ghz, 4g ram. Can anyone tell me what I can check to find out why it is running so slow! It really struggles with Facebook. Trademe is fine but Gmail is also slow. Connection is fine as girl friends lap top is running fine.

geek_brodie64, May 10, 4:07 pm

So it's not a laptop that is running slow, but your internet.

geek_enigma, May 10, 4:10 pm

If you don't know what Malware is, it's very likely your laptop is loaded with it. As you said, your laptop is slow when browsing but your girlfriend's isn't. Do as Swivel said and get those programs and run them. You'll probably be surprised how much they find.

geek_speedwayfan1, May 10, 5:36 pm

Stop mucking around and just do as you're told.dammit.

geek_hakatere1, May 10, 7:35 pm

I think its a defect from acer... it runs slow overtime even without running the internet or using other programs.
I have cleaned every malware, registries,, defrag etcetera.. it still runs slow damn!
i have reformatted my laptop, it runs fast then runs slow again overtime dammit!!!

geek_tgardo, Sep 12, 10:23 am