Advice on vodem/t-sticks

I just moved from a house with telecom wireless broadband which was fast and cheap. Got given a vodem which is extremely slow and expensive. Would a telecom tstick be any better in your opinion. I am in the coromandel which is last to get any new technology therefore I cant get naked broad band so I am left with chosing between the lesser of 2 evils. I need more than 2 gbs (4gbs preferably) but its sooo expensive on vodem account.

geek_blondini13, May 19, 10:00 pm

Data from a cell site is dependent on distance from the tower and construction of your house. Maybe locate the nearest Vodafone and XT towers.

geek_spyware, May 19, 10:06 pm

so this would be different to getting bb thruphone supply?

geek_blondini13, May 19, 10:28 pm

Yes.
I suggest you start by talking to your neighbours about their internet access.

geek_carkitter, May 19, 10:38 pm

Telecom is about the same price as Vodafone for 4GB per month. 2 Degrees is cheaper at $50 for 4GB if you buy a 12GB pack for $150. I think they cover the Coromandel. You can use a 2 Degrees prepay SIM in your Vodem to try it out, search this forum for guides on how to do this.

geek_drsr, May 19, 10:54 pm

Vodafone, have new faster sticks avalible now. and you get half price for the first six months. 2GB is $25. also a good deal add a home phone for $5, no shit home phone for $5 when you have a vodem stick.

geek_tp2chch, May 19, 11:10 pm

really? $5? I was speaking tothe vodafoone peeps yesterday and they said for 4gbs its $71.90 and they would give meit half price for 6months on a 12 month contract.and a free vodem which I have already. Thing is that I dont need a land line as I get 240 mins free anytime mins a month on my mobile which is more than ample. My town is far too small to need to call many numbers.

geek_blondini13, May 20, 12:06 am

So 4Gb would be $71.90 but half price for six months .. $35.95 and if you need a landline its extra $5. The new vodem is faster than the old one, so take the free one if you can... you dont have to get a landline, its just a super cheap deal if you need one. (by the way, its not technically a landline - its wireless - no landline invoved. thats why its so cheap, dont have to pay line rental fee)

geek_tp2chch, May 20, 12:22 am

As stated above, data throughput from a cellsite is mostly dependent on distance from tower and construction of building. In a country area cellsite performance may be worse than dialup. All the new faster hardware means absolutely nothing as the faster bit only works if you have the signal to noise ratio to support it.

geek_spyware, May 20, 6:09 pm

so this would be different to getting bb thruphone supply!

geek_blondini13, May 20, 10:28 pm

Yes.
I suggest you start by talking to your neighbours about their internet access.

geek_carkitter, May 20, 10:38 pm

really! $5! I was speaking tothe vodafoone peeps yesterday and they said for 4gbs its $71.90 and they would give meit half price for 6months on a 12 month contract.and a free vodem which I have already. Thing is that I dont need a land line as I get 240 mins free anytime mins a month on my mobile which is more than ample. My town is far too small to need to call many numbers.

geek_blondini13, May 21, 12:06 am

So 4Gb would be $71.90 but half price for six months . $35.95 and if you need a landline its extra $5. The new vodem is faster than the old one, so take the free one if you can. you dont have to get a landline, its just a super cheap deal if you need one. (by the way, its not technically a landline - its wireless - no landline invoved. thats why its so cheap, dont have to pay line rental fee)

geek_tp2chch, May 21, 12:22 am