32bit to 64

currently 6gig installed, only showing 2.95 used- on a 32 bit, is there any advantage to change to a 64bit, and would this make use of the full 6gig of ram installed running win7 on a tosh i3cpu=2.27ghz.
I gather i would need to reformat and do a fresh install????

cheers
balooz

geek_baloooz, May 21, 8:03 am

your call if you have to pay for a 64bit system.........yep it'll enable your system to make use of all the ram available but .......check how much your'e using now.......you may be wasting time/money upgrading.....and yes a fresh install far as I'm aware.......

geek_drcspy, May 21, 8:08 am

thanks for that, just trying to make use of the full 6gb installed seems a waste that only using half

geek_baloooz, May 21, 8:11 am

it wont unless it needs it - I'm running 4gb and it only uses 35%.....check taskmanager for how much you're currently using

geek_drcspy, May 21, 8:59 am

Yes, you will need to format and reinstall. Did win7 come with to computer or did you buy it separately? If it came with to computer, it will be an OEM version, so you will ahve to buy the 64-bit version. If you bought it, it is probably a retail version, so you will have a 64-bit disk somewhere.

I hope you didn't buy it with 32-bit OEM and 6gig or RAM. Any computer retailer worth half their salt would have know that it could not use all of it, which, to me is flirting with the definition of false advertising. It's like buying a car with four wheels, only to find out one is the spare and it doesn't even fit.

geek_rgtrading, May 21, 9:01 am

my toshiba laptop came with both 32 and 64bit which when you first start it asks you to decide which you prefer.............had I installed 32bit I could later have saved docs/data etc and then changed to a fresh factory 64bit install......

geek_drcspy, May 21, 10:31 am

64bit all the way.

geek_johnf_456, May 21, 10:48 am

I don't understand why win7 was released in both 32 & 64b. It makes no sense to me to continue flogging old technology like that. 64b windows is backwards compatible with most 32b applications anyway.
16b was more or less dropped with the advent of windows 95. I don't recall windows 95 16b being marketed. Why wasnt 32b dropped when vista came along?

geek_oclaf, May 21, 11:15 am

Because there are still a few 32bit processors around like the single core Atoms

geek_vtecintegra, May 21, 11:22 am

The majority of computers out there are older and so most likely not to have 64bit drivers available.
So you are saying to a business to ignore that large 32bit only market?

geek_pheonix, May 21, 11:25 am

In reality very few people ever upgrade from the version of Windows the computer came with.

Most CPUs in new PCs were 64bit even by the time Vista was released

geek_vtecintegra, May 21, 11:29 am

Definitely 64bit. Maybe take the RAM out and put it in again, the BIOS may not be recognizing there is another few gigs of RAM there

geek_rugbyreff, May 21, 3:46 pm

????????????

geek_drcspy, May 21, 3:50 pm

I think you misread OP.

geek_rgtrading, May 21, 4:17 pm

You could try this work around but 64bit would be the recommendation
http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html?lang=EN

geek_david13, May 21, 8:38 pm

sadly when I bought this, sales rep asked if I wanted a free upgrade from 2 gig to 6gig, of course i said yes, free ram.and a bag, and a few dvd disks. ok so the candy wasn't the pre curser to me buying this machine, going from a very old A10 tosh to a new faster Norton /game/eye candy again/bloated machine(Norton deleted) just wanting to get the most out of the specs and as usual didn't do my research, but am happy that at least i have great speed (over 50 so the eye sight takes longer to catch up with the cpu)
and great video. no bsd and no formats,(yet)
oh and I haven't spilt any wine on this so can at least type without banging double hard on the KB

geek_baloooz, May 21, 11:10 pm

all sounds good and I can sympathise wiht the over 50 comment (i'm there as well) now, did you check task manager to see just how much ram ws being used ?

geek_drcspy, May 22, 7:19 am

currently 6gig installed, only showing 2.95 used- on a 32 bit, is there any advantage to change to a 64bit, and would this make use of the full 6gig of ram installed running win7 on a tosh i3cpu=2.27ghz.
I gather i would need to reformat and do a fresh install!

cheers
balooz

geek_baloooz, May 22, 8:03 am

your call if you have to pay for a 64bit system.yep it'll enable your system to make use of all the ram available but .check how much your'e using now.you may be wasting time/money upgrading.and yes a fresh install far as I'm aware.

geek_drcspy, May 22, 8:08 am

yes, checked task manager, currently using 37% physical memory

geek_baloooz, May 22, 8:34 am

so theres no issue then ?just unused ram .......?Sell some off

geek_drcspy, May 22, 8:45 am

it wont unless it needs it - I'm running 4gb and it only uses 35%.check taskmanager for how much you're currently using

geek_drcspy, May 22, 8:59 am

Yes, you will need to format and reinstall. Did win7 come with to computer or did you buy it separately! If it came with to computer, it will be an OEM version, so you will ahve to buy the 64-bit version. If you bought it, it is probably a retail version, so you will have a 64-bit disk somewhere.

I hope you didn't buy it with 32-bit OEM and 6gig or RAM. Any computer retailer worth half their salt would have know that it could not use all of it, which, to me is flirting with the definition of false advertising. It's like buying a car with four wheels, only to find out one is the spare and it doesn't even fit.

geek_rgtrading, May 22, 9:01 am

my toshiba laptop came with both 32 and 64bit which when you first start it asks you to decide which you prefer.had I installed 32bit I could later have saved docs/data etc and then changed to a fresh factory 64bit install.

geek_drcspy, May 22, 10:31 am

I don't understand why win7 was released in both 32 & 64b. It makes no sense to me to continue flogging old technology like that. 64b windows is backwards compatible with most 32b applications anyway.
16b was more or less dropped with the advent of windows 95. I don't recall windows 95 16b being marketed. Why wasnt 32b dropped when vista came along!

geek_oclaf, May 22, 11:15 am

The majority of computers out there are older and so most likely not to have 64bit drivers available.
So you are saying to a business to ignore that large 32bit only market!

geek_pheonix, May 22, 11:25 am

So you went to a computershop to buy a computer and they asked if you wanted to upgrade from 2 too 6GB of RAM. You say yes so they wack an extra few gigs in but neglect to install the correct version of the opperating system, leaving only half the ram available? How rediculous.
Take it back and make them fix it. Thats just gross ineptitude on the retailers part.

geek_oclaf, May 22, 6:37 pm

Does much software use that much ram? Would have thought only really heavy graphics software and video processing would justify it...

And then how much of an improvement does it make to rendering times etc over the 4gig you can have on 32..?

geek_bestgames, May 22, 7:38 pm

~3GB not 4GB. Google 64bit vs 32bit for figures but the general consensus is 64bit is faster.

geek_lostdude, May 22, 8:04 pm

I recall XP 64-bit reportedly being faster, but that was because it was based on server 2003 code.

geek_cybertao, May 22, 8:08 pm

You could try this work around but 64bit would be the recommendation
http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html!lang=EN

geek_david13, May 22, 8:38 pm

sadly when I bought this, sales rep asked if I wanted a free upgrade from 2 gig to 6gig, of course i said yes, free ram.and a bag, and a few dvd disks. ok so the candy wasn't the pre curser to me buying this machine, going from a very old A10 tosh to a new faster Norton /game/eye candy again/bloated machine(Norton deleted) just wanting to get the most out of the specs and as usual didn't do my research, but am happy that at least i have great speed (over 50 so the eye sight takes longer to catch up with the cpu)
and great video. no bsd and no formats,(yet)
oh and I haven't spilt any wine on this so can at least type without banging double hard on the KB

geek_baloooz, May 22, 11:10 pm

all sounds good and I can sympathise wiht the over 50 comment (i'm there as well) now, did you check task manager to see just how much ram ws being used !

geek_drcspy, May 23, 7:19 am

so theres no issue then !just unused ram .!Sell some off

geek_drcspy, May 23, 8:45 am

lulwut...

geek_ecotrader, May 23, 12:07 pm

Are you for real!

geek_johnf_456, May 23, 12:42 pm

So you went to a computershop to buy a computer and they asked if you wanted to upgrade from 2 too 6GB of RAM. You say yes so they wack an extra few gigs in but neglect to install the correct version of the opperating system, leaving only half the ram available! How rediculous.
Take it back and make them fix it. Thats just gross ineptitude on the retailers part.

geek_oclaf, May 23, 6:37 pm

~3GB not 4GB. Google 64bit vs 32bit for figures but the general consensus is 64bit is faster.

geek_lostdude, May 23, 8:04 pm

lulwut.

geek_ecotrader, May 24, 12:07 pm