Printer "ink absorber pad full" message

sue62, May 23, 12:02am
Brother MFC 260C printer, fax, scanner etc.
Has an "Unable 46" message coming up which means that the printer is not able to be used. This message code means that the ink absorber pad is full.

Is there anything that can be done to clean this pad??
The web site says take it to an authorised service agent..hardly worth it with the low cost of new printers
I hate throwing things out if it is fixable

2295, May 23, 12:16am

swivel, May 23, 12:17am
Contact your local Brother supplier / support person and ask

sue62, May 23, 12:29am
I have rung the local service agent. It would cost $30 just for them to look at it. They did not think it would be worth it.So much for recycling and avoiding filling the landfills! Hoped there might be something I could try myself.

hakatere1, May 23, 1:09am
#2 told you what to do. That error is so simple to overcome.

jokerboss, May 23, 1:20am
doesnt always work - avoid brother..... unless you want to get messy and try and replace the pad yourself, it essentially wastes ink each time you clean the heads... other brands may be the same, shame is its useless now, cant even scan on my old one, all it was good for was the multi card reader!

richms, May 23, 8:18am
If you have filled the pad up you must use it a hell of a lot.

My experience with epsons is that you can rinse the pads out (do it in a bathtub, and window cleaner is great for moving inks) and then reset it with software, but by that stage the mechanics are starting to go anyway - not lining up and getting skew as it goes the different directions. The service software can correct a fixed skew but if its from slop in the mechanics then it cant.

gdnshack, May 23, 9:08am
I used to have an old Canon MP110 printer and had the same message come up.Apparently if I remember correctly, there is some counter in the machine and it calculates that the soak pads for the excess ink must be full after a certain time like a couple of year's use.I found a link to a website that explained how to reset it and it worked.I was also able to get access to these pads just by lifting the top cover which makes the two cartridges move across to the left (I just had the black and the multi colour one).The 2 pads are on the right.Was not able to get them out and wash them so I just got some tissues and blotted the excess ink up and it worked.Printer lasted for ages until the printer head went out of alignment and I threw it out.Perhaps Epson has a similar set up?Just checked my Canon MX340 and it still has the same set up so I will be right for when the problem happens in the future.Lol.

rozendaal, May 23, 9:17am
x1
That link should help.. I cleaned my pad and reset the counter on a brother printer I owned.

hakatere1, May 23, 11:56am
Real bad flu, so sleep patterns very disturbed. The message doesn't happen when the tray is full, it happens at a predetermined number of uses. I have had the message on a brother and the tray was dry as. You can just reset it again for another use. Very handy site www.fixyourownprinter.com. All the information is there.

sue62, May 24, 12:02am
Brother MFC 260C printer, fax, scanner etc.
Has an "Unable 46" message coming up which means that the printer is not able to be used. This message code means that the ink absorber pad is full.

Is there anything that can be done to clean this pad!
The web site says take it to an authorised service agent.hardly worth it with the low cost of new printers
I hate throwing things out if it is fixable

jokerboss, May 24, 1:20am
doesnt always work - avoid brother. unless you want to get messy and try and replace the pad yourself, it essentially wastes ink each time you clean the heads. other brands may be the same, shame is its useless now, cant even scan on my old one, all it was good for was the multi card reader!

gdnshack, May 24, 9:08am
I used to have an old Canon MP110 printer and had the same message come up.Apparently if I remember correctly, there is some counter in the machine and it calculates that the soak pads for the excess ink must be full after a certain time like a couple of year's use.I found a link to a website that explained how to reset it and it worked.I was also able to get access to these pads just by lifting the top cover which makes the two cartridges move across to the left (I just had the black and the multi colour one).The 2 pads are on the right.Was not able to get them out and wash them so I just got some tissues and blotted the excess ink up and it worked.Printer lasted for ages until the printer head went out of alignment and I threw it out.Perhaps Epson has a similar set up!Just checked my Canon MX340 and it still has the same set up so I will be right for when the problem happens in the future.Lol.

rozendaal, May 24, 9:17am
That link should help. I cleaned my pad and reset the counter on a brother printer I owned.

hakatere1, May 24, 11:56am
Real bad flu, so sleep patterns very disturbed. The message doesn't happen when the tray is full, it happens at a predetermined number of uses. I have had the message on a brother and the tray was dry as. You can just reset it again for another use. Very handy site www.fixyourownprinter.com. All the information is there. Remember, all the data built into a printer or whatever is not there to benefit you, it's to benefit the manufacturer. Also, if the instructions on the dishwasher says use two caps of cleaner, you know they're lying, so just use one.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)