Laptop advice......

We have a desktop, my partners going to be working away and wants a laptop, so what do we look for, It will just be general usage facebook/emails/banking and Skype, maybe watching the odd dvd....Any advice would be great Ive never owned one and dont know alot about them...TIA

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 1:22 pm

Just decide what your priorities are and go from there.Speed, battery life, portability, cost - you can't have it all unfortunately.

You certainly don't need anything very fast for that usage, but there is still plenty of choice with regard to screen sizes etc

geek_vtecintegra, May 25, 1:35 pm

If you are going to Skype, ensure it has a built in web cam

geek_leigh66, May 25, 1:54 pm

Upgrade the processor upon ordering, or you may regret it for years to come.

geek_disappearerer, May 25, 4:35 pm

http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC7799/satellite-l640-05x-notebook

got one of these at easter (it was cheaper than that only $919 on special) very pleased with it.Personally I previously bought Asus and would have this time but didn't find one that I liked as much.........
14" screen
640Gb hdd (plenty storage)
4gb ram
Intel I5 cpu (plenty fast enough for what you want to do)
good deal.....

geek_drcspy, May 25, 4:52 pm

please excuse my ignorance but 2 questions...what do the GHZ mean? and is satellite just the brand?? thanks alot

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:25 pm

toshiba is the brand in this case and satellite is the model

GHZ is the speed of the processor (the brain).....and it's SOME indicator of performance.......

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:31 pm

oh ok so the more GHz the faster they are in theroy??

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:34 pm

um.........yep but that's not all there is to it and 'fast' wont mean anything with regard to the internet pages loading speed etc
that's a different issue and mroe related to the type of connection you have (broadband/dialup/whatever)...-

processors come in 'speeds' and 'types/makes'..........
and it's both factors which make a system fast or not.....

for what you've said your partner will need to do "general usage facebook/emails/banking and Skype, maybe watching the odd dvd" pretty much any modern laptop/netbook will do that (so long as it's got a built in camera for skype and many/most do)......

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:37 pm

ah watchin dvd's .......need an optical drive (dvd drive) and netbooks DON'T have these .............notebooks (laptops) DO ...............check when you buy

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:39 pm

http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC7835/toshiba-satellite-c660-01m-notebook

this is the one I found in the DSE catalogue I was just comparing it to the one you posted Is it any different really??

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:39 pm

yes mine has a 14" screen that one has a 15.6" screen there'll be a consequent weight difference and it'll be thus heavier to carry round......also

'your' one has an i3 processor and mine has and i5 (superior)

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:43 pm

oh and 'your ' one has a numerical keypad on the right hand side - personally I find this superfluous but maybe yr partner might find it useful........I dunno..........

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:44 pm

LOL im sorry but whats the processor do??

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:45 pm

he is very much a learner when it comes to computers..im bad but he's worse

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:46 pm

the processor is the BRAIN of the thing.....it does EVERYthing pretty much

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:47 pm

I note also in teh specifications yours does not mention HDMI out ...........mine has an HDMI port which means I can plug a HDMI cable into it and play the laptop screen/movies whatever on a bigscreen tv.......your one may have that but it didn't say.......

geek_drcspy, May 25, 9:48 pm

Ok thanks alot for all the info I was hoping to find one here....

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/toshiba/computers/notebook-computers/c10005-c4311-b100340-p1.html?sorter=topSeller-desc

the same but no luck, I wanted the flybuys!

geek_hunter7082, May 25, 9:53 pm

Hunter I just bought a Toshiba Satellite L750/O4K at Noel Leeming on Monday - it was $1279 down from $1599. I love it!!
My previous computer was a Packard Bell desktop I'd had for over 7 years so a "dinasour" now lol
We mostly use a computer for emails, FB, games, internet banking, etc.

geek_shelleigh, May 26, 12:11 pm