How do you access WIFI in holtels and hotspots?

I have a laptop, and am on holiday for a month. How do I get my Laptop to search for an internet facility at say MacDonalds or hotel. I am in Europe, NZ and I live in Australia.

geek_market1, May 26, 8:40 pm

you make sure the wireless switch is on (usually on front or side of laptop), it depends on your operating system. For Windows 7 you click on network icon by the clock and it shows available networks

geek_ruderger, May 26, 10:21 pm

Then you may need to enter a security code/key you will get from the hotel or you may have to enter credit card details if the connection is not free.The place you are at will tell you if it is free.

geek_smine, May 27, 7:28 am

used the wireless connection at home ?................it's the same.....

geek_drcspy, May 27, 7:45 am

From experience, check the hotel charge.And mode of charging.I was in Vietnam three weeks ago.All hotels I stayed at or visited, but one, had free wifi.But the one in Hanoi I used, charged US$3.00 for 15 minutes - and the meter kept running, even if one logged off after five minutes intending to use the balance later. A trap.Not every wifi detected can be accessed - the Holiday Inn in Honkers wouldn't touch my Iphone but the Irish bar down the road, did.Same in Manila - some malls and hotels were fine.Others were not.
Non-access used to make me think my laptop and Iphone were faulty but, thanks to useful advice thought thismessage board, I am now relaxed.Sometimes irritated but knowing more about it.

geek_footplate1, May 27, 7:49 am

Yes I use the wireless at home, I have a router so it tunes into that. I had heard MacDonald restaurants have wireless and will try it there, I looked for a switch, nothing I have a new MSI laptop.

geek_market1, May 27, 9:57 am

I have the same problem with my phone...its ok on wireless at home but can't connect at the free hotspots at McDs etc...

geek_patch2112, May 27, 10:08 am

Is Mac Donalds hotspots available round the world?

geek_market1, May 27, 8:28 pm

Look for the WiFi logo on the door.

geek_gyrogearloose, May 27, 8:35 pm

I have the same problem I can get a wi fi connection ok but when clicking on a website it says you are not connected. There must be check boxes that need to be clicked on as well perhaps or there is a limit to the number of computers that will work in hotspots.

geek_cassina1, May 27, 8:48 pm

At Macd, when you first connected to their free wifi, any address you type into your browser will take you to their login page instead where you have to tick their t&c and click login/connect, after that you are free to surf and use the net within your free 50mb allowence allocated to you

geek_smoothjazz, May 28, 1:09 am

This often happens if you've defined your own DNS servers instead of accepting the ones given in DHCP. You won't be able to reach any external IP (including your DNS servers) until after you log in so all web requests will fail from no DNS instead of being redirected to the login page.

geek_little_egypt, May 28, 8:02 am

No you are all wrong.
Errors like this are definately linked to using the crappy McD's Wi-Fi.
Its more down than up. Normally saying that, i have always got the logonpage though but after excepting t&c's and hitting continue it does nothing. Great too when there is no support. come on, whats a service without some sort of support, even a email link on logonpage better than none. oh well, better systems out there.

geek_maiwifi, Dec 5, 9:16 am

McD's Wifi is awesome! My ipod begins to pick it up at the traffic lights across the road and the building 4 stores down where hubby was working. The few times ive been there ive noticed quiet afew college kids sitting at the tables with their laptops.

geek_shyly, Dec 5, 9:22 am

Yes agree good when working, no skype or outlook mail though.and slow at only 256kb's. 4 doors down, i struggle to get it outside the door of our local one. Must have router in better position

geek_maiwifi, Dec 5, 9:24 am

Time to get a life and go sell some hotspots!
This was fun though, but a timewaster!

geek_maiwifi, Dec 5, 9:26 am

Oh its great!I use my iPod for work but only turn the Wifi on when im using my Maps App in the car (too cheap for Navman lol). Tauranga Mc Donalds.cameron road.im lovin it :P

geek_shyly, Dec 5, 9:28 am

pebkac

geek_drcspy, Dec 5, 4:37 pm

From experience, check the hotel charge.And mode of charging.I was in Vietnam three weeks ago.All hotels I stayed at or visited, but one, had free wifi.But the one in Hanoi I used, charged US$3.00 for 15 minutes - and the meter kept running, even if one logged off after five minutes intending to use the balance later. A trap.Not every wifi detected can be accessed - the Holiday Inn in Honkers wouldn't touch my Iphone but the Irish bar down the road, did.Same in Manila - some malls and hotels were fine.Others were not.
Non-access used to make me think my laptop and Iphone were faulty but, thanks to useful advice thought thismessage board, I am now relaxed.Sometimes irritated but knowing more about it.

geek_footplate1, May 27, 7:49 am

I have the same problem with my phone.its ok on wireless at home but can't connect at the free hotspots at McDs etc.

geek_patch2112, May 27, 10:08 am

Is Mac Donalds hotspots available round the world!

geek_market1, May 27, 8:28 pm

This often happens if you've defined your own DNS servers instead of accepting the ones given in DHCP. You won't be able to reach any external IP (including your DNS servers) until after you log in so all web requests will fail from no DNS instead of being redirected to the login page.

geek_little_egypt, May 28, 8:02 am