Cold Calling IT Scammers

Over the past year or so and more often in the past month, IT scams are doing the rounds. If anyone rings or claims to be Microsoft, or they say you have a problem with your computer then it is a scam.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/5007040/Phone-scam-plague-rampant-again

So if everyone could keep this thread bumped then hopefully everyone can see it, mention it to friends workmates etc and try keep it to this thread and bump it as often as you can daily. That way it is also contained in one thread.

geek_johnf_456, May 27, 8:01 pm

Won't work I'm afraid. I guarantee that half the people that post these repetitive repetitive repetitive threads have no idea what "cold calling" means. Maybe if it was labelled "Indian guy from Microsoft" or "Phone call says computer has a problem" we might be able to trim the number of threads posted about it to just 3 or 4 a day.

geek_waipawa, May 27, 9:44 pm

Its worth a shot

geek_johnf_456, May 27, 9:48 pm

Trying to be helpful. Bumping will only happen for a comparatively short time. You can bet that with all the best intentions, within a week, the post will have slipped to page 2 or beyond. Also causes the same clutter as if people were continually making the same inquiry, which is what seems to be getting people uptight. Also involves a lot of people remembering to bump.
Suggestion:- How about as many regulars who can be bothered copy & paste Johnf's message, or any suitable message & hold it handy. When inevitably another bewildered innocent wanders in with "Is this a torgan", first on the scene goes Ctrl>C.........Ctrl>V. Job done. Poster is happy & goes away, & all before anyone could say wtf.
Just an idea.

geek_richard112, May 28, 12:48 pm

John

geek__sms_, May 28, 1:58 pm

Good on you ...going to take quite a bit for you to kep this bumped, but all the best!

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:45 pm

Well here is a good opportunity to educate them.
It may surprise you but not everyone sits at the computer 24/7 reading the MB ..so it is quite easy to miss a thread.
So you guys keep this thread bumped, it may just help someone and relieve you of a bit of angst ...though I do wonder why you read a thread when it says clearly what it is about and it is something you get sick of reading..but each to their own...

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:50 pm

Well people need to be aware, pays to be safe than sorry

geek_johnf_456, May 28, 6:52 pm

Thats exactly what i say... ..so you keep it bumped...

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:58 pm

Up we go.

geek_dunedin_ree, May 28, 11:58 pm

Time for us to a put a sticky on the message board.

geek_mr-word, May 29, 12:16 am

I reckon

geek_johnf_456, May 29, 12:16 am

Does IT stand for Indian Telephony?
I don't know, just asking.

geek_peter148, May 29, 12:19 am

Windup ^

geek_johnf_456, May 29, 12:19 am

This is "Community Moderation" in action. Given that Trademe have abdicated their responsibility to moderate this board themselves, it is left to the community to do what moderation we can within what limited powers we have.
All well-run forums are moderated to keep out the spam and the trolls, and avoid the clutter of self-promotional threads and repetitive threads shoving the good stuff out. One of the ways to do this is via "sticky" threads addressing issues commonly raised on the forum, and which are always at the top of the list of thread titles.

It's not angst, dude, it's called working to keep the TM messageboard useable, doing our part as the de facto moderators of this forum.

geek_waipawa, May 29, 12:30 am

Whatever ...
So before anyone posts on here they have to check every thread that has ever been placed on here??
Just dont read the subject lines that bother you! :-)

geek_pip4, May 29, 8:36 am

Yes its called being polite, why have multiple topics on the same issue when it could be kept to one and be more enjoyable? If you don't like it go away.

geek_johnf_456, May 29, 10:13 am

unfortunately scammer's who are successful rely on their "marks" being people who don't use computer forums

geek_ctnz, May 29, 10:17 am

Hey
You were the one originally complaining about a post made about scammers...
And I dont *go away* LOL

geek_pip4, May 29, 10:37 am

Anyone know a trademe staff member that can make this a sticky.

geek_mattnzw, May 29, 3:06 pm

or bother to listen to the radio..............watch tv or read the papers ? (all this has been well covered in those media)

geek_drcspy, May 29, 3:18 pm

What we need is TRADEME Volunteer Moderators that can delete Thread BAN people and assiogn Sticky Thread........etc....

geek_rohb, May 29, 3:42 pm

Sounds a bit like Adolf's brown shirts. IF, and I'm really using my imagination here, TM decided to assign a sticky for this subject, should we then have another for "What's the best free antivirus" "My desktop is small, big, sideways. How do I get it back?" "My laptop is overheating" "My computer is slow" "Everything Linux is really really choice" & all the other repetitive threads that pop up. Can't see that this particular issue is such a big deal, except some have chosen to make it so, and 'My God, it's going to stay that way'.

geek_richard112, May 29, 4:01 pm

I forgot about "Which is the best ISP provider in New Zealand."

geek_richard112, May 29, 4:05 pm

i'll volunteer ROFLMFAO

geek_drcspy, May 29, 4:07 pm

Mee too First thing I do I will BAN Richard !!!ROLF

geek_rohb, May 29, 5:00 pm

sob

geek_richard112, May 29, 5:53 pm

Can any of you guys go to the nethui and bring up the indian scammers issue?

geek_mr-word, May 29, 6:28 pm

Theywould ring here 4 times a week, I give the phone to miss 3 for a natter now lol

geek_hunter7082, May 29, 6:40 pm

makes you wonder why they have a computer at all

geek_ctnz, May 29, 7:39 pm

Or trademe could even pay people to do it, since it is a commercial website and all.

geek_mattnzw, May 30, 5:02 pm

Same

geek_johnf_456, May 30, 5:10 pm

trouble is I'd have to ban myself on a regular basis...........

geek_drcspy, May 31, 10:48 am

LOL thats already been done for YOU ... ;-)

geek_mrfxit, May 31, 10:55 am

yeh ...........

geek_drcspy, May 31, 10:57 am

bumpity bump

geek_galex, Jun 1, 7:44 am

Have an unlisted number, NEVER get those calls.

geek_rod525, Jun 1, 7:50 am

you can use
ttt

geek_ezra2000, Jun 1, 7:52 am

That is no defence against autodiallers though unfortunately.

geek_waipawa, Jun 1, 8:29 am

Really, you do realize they use an automatic dialer some of them. So unlisted will not make one ota difference like some of them calling my friends cell phone.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 1, 10:16 am

Yup which is what most use, hence you will sometimes hear a "hello" followed by "goodbye", then they hang up. This is the automatic dialer testing the line.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 1, 10:17 am

Well we have lived at our current address for four years and have never had autodiallers/cold callers ever with our unlisted number.

geek_rod525, Jun 1, 12:25 pm

Yup and bump

geek_johnf_456, Jun 1, 7:08 pm

On Fair Go now, TV1

geek_neil51, Jun 1, 7:34 pm

Just watched nothing I didn't know but hopefully some in here did watch it.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 1, 7:58 pm

What about "silent calls" where the phone rings, you answer, and no-one is on the other end? You say hello a couple of times then hang up. I get a 2 or 3 of these every week. But I STILL haven't received a single "problem with your PC" scam call. I'm feeling left out!

geek_waipawa, Jun 2, 10:35 am

Be patient they will call

geek_johnf_456, Jun 2, 10:47 am

Nup, never had that either.

geek_rod525, Jun 2, 12:24 pm

so they can play solitaire, what else would they use it for?

geek_pcmaster, Jun 2, 12:28 pm

geek_galex, Jun 3, 8:01 am