Cold Calling IT Scammers

they said i had an infection... i said i have cream for it and hung up :)

geek_velenski, Jun 3, 12:08 pm

what a fun guy... ;-)

geek_little_egypt, Jun 3, 7:23 pm

Got an email supposedly from IRD today saying I had a $1487 refund owing to me. *sigh* If only it was true.

geek_babcorp, Jun 3, 7:45 pm

If only people out smarted them, if people didn't get sucked in there would be no scams.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:00 pm

my girlfriends number is very similar to mine, only about another 4000 numbers up from mine if you go in order.I had the scammers call last night so I can only assume she will get a call very shortly when they work their way up.

geek_chessman, Jun 3, 11:05 pm

geek_swivel, Jun 5, 12:02 am

I had an indian girl phone me about a week ago claiming to be with Microsoft. I talked to her for about 20 minutes pretending I knew nothing of computers and having her explain every step in details.

I got bored after a while so told her I was an IT technician.
Amazing how fast the phone went dead.

geek_bandbook, Jun 5, 2:16 am

Up you go bump

geek_johnf_456, Jun 5, 10:02 am

Got several 'goodbye' calls yesterday.. I'm expecting another IT scam call real soon. I'd better check that my VM and call recording setup is still ready for them.

geek_little_egypt, Jun 5, 10:07 am

Awesome they are close little egypt, make sure its ready!

geek_johnf_456, Jun 5, 10:11 am

My caller id said the number was something like +64501, so i thought yep they will call again and they did, he started the blurb and i said i have a 3 week old laptop, he said i must have the wrong info, i said yep you have and hung up. I wasnt fast enough to think of a better reply.

geek_sneps, Jun 5, 10:16 am

I just had one phone a few minutes ago - I just said you are wasting your time we have a mac - she hung up onme - what a bitch - how rude LOL LMAO!

geek_iamkat, Jun 6, 7:14 pm

They phoned again tonight and offered to repair for $165. (Holiday discount?).

Total time wasted: 18 minutes.

geek_martinhb, Jun 6, 9:11 pm

next time get their little theiving hearts beating a bit harder by saying "Well I'm not sure that what you are offering is goin to be good enough and I would like to purchase your premium package" bait thebastards rofl.......make em drool at the thought of charging you $300 for their non existant service........

geek_drcspy, Jun 7, 4:01 am

and then drop em hard.........tell them you are a police officer and that your telephone line has permanent call recording and tracing hardware installed on it and see how fast they hang up

geek_drcspy, Jun 7, 4:02 am

We had some fun , I used the old Win98 box, had not been turned on for some time, took ages to boot. He said my HDD was stuffed and I needed more RAM (it already has 512Mb) . When it had booted, he asked me to go to a website (PC not on network) I said, oh, I'm on dial up .. So the conversation turned to "get a cellphone" , I said "I can't my credit card is maxed out" .. that is when he said "not even $165 to fix your computer?" :)

The best call so far, and one I could have done at the Mac since he didn't do the "event check" first, just straight to the website.

geek_martinhb, Jun 7, 7:46 am

bumping for those that cannot scroll down

geek_plumbernick, Jun 7, 3:51 pm

Bee ump

geek_galex, Jun 8, 1:11 pm

nudge

geek_little_egypt, Jun 8, 1:20 pm

Had your call yet little_egypt?

geek_johnf_456, Jun 8, 4:16 pm

They've been calling constantly for the lastfew days I've hung up on them a few times as it was obvoudly them becasue of the lag. Caller ID says 501. Finally answered again this afternoon and told them to piss off!!!! Bastards!

geek_banty, Jun 8, 4:22 pm

I wish someone would transfer them to me, I want to play some more with them.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 8, 4:23 pm

Still waiting. I'm out a hell of a lot at the moment but I'm not even seeing that many missed calls on the caller id. They just don't call me any more.

geek_little_egypt, Jun 8, 5:19 pm

was on FairGo again tonite. Worth the watch, they have a few calls recorded :-)
http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/e-roads-lead-kolkata-3-37-video-4215101

geek_galex, Jun 9, 12:44 am

Budda bing-budda boom

geek_i-n-horz, Jun 9, 9:23 am

Thanks I missed it last night

geek_johnf_456, Jun 9, 10:31 am

geek_bjx2, Jun 9, 6:57 pm

Just had the computer maintenance person from microsoft ring me, he said he was based in Papakura Auckland, when asked for website he said he and then asked him to give it to me - he hung up -- OH SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this would make about 10th time we have had this call.

geek_marlin9, Jun 9, 7:05 pm

Beeeump

geek_galex, Jun 10, 2:44 pm

Had the call but unfortunately I couldn't understand a word. He waffled on for 5min with me not having a clue what he was on about. "hang on I'll try the other phone" "OK, what was that?" He started his spiel again so I laid the phone down. 20min later I checked the phone and he had hung up.

geek_gsimpson, Jun 10, 11:43 pm

Nice

geek_johnf_456, Jun 11, 7:47 pm

Bump.... have been called three times in one week! They called a business phone during business hours so I asked for a name and address to send an account to at an hourly rate of $250 per hour. I am a consultant after all. They did not like it much.

geek_electromic, Jun 12, 12:58 am

I got called 3 times in the last week.The first call caught me by surprise and I was lost for words for a second and when they asked for be by name I told them I was Mr Dickshit.The caller asked me repeat my name 3 times and I did so, but then I gave the show away by bursting out laughing, and the caller hung up on me.I only wasted about 20 seconds.

When they call you hear what sounds like a recoding of a phone ringing, then you hear a lot of call centre people in the background talking, but the caller does not talk to you straight away, because I guess they are bringing your name up on their monitor.I now know just to hang up before they get a chance to say anything.

geek_peter148, Jun 12, 2:40 am

Good one petere148, the reason for the lag from you saying hello is the automatic dialer finding a hit then transferring it to an available operator. Has they use a dialer to find and generate numbers that are active which is why it does not matter if your number is listed or non listed.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 12, 9:48 am

I hacve had two in three days.First one told me he was calling from Papakura, Auckland,would not give me his website so he hung up.Yesterday he told me his name was dennis foster (like heck - he was too indian sounding) and when i asked for the website he started to give it to me and then said turn your computer on - well i was sitting at it doing work - and then after saying to him " not till i have your website" he hung up - SO RUDE of him.Hahaha

geek_marlin9, Jun 12, 10:00 am

There seems to be getting more and more of them; Ihad three calls last week. I just let them chatter on and on then switch off when I am sick of them. Had one last week ringing from a "boiler room", the background noise of other operators ringing other phones was huge. The guy told me the background noise was traffic as he had his window open! Doh!!

geek_sapper1, Jun 12, 3:19 pm

Bumpppppppp.

geek_sapper1, Jun 13, 11:52 am

still waiting for my call :-(

geek_drcspy, Jun 13, 12:07 pm

Got one. Didn't last long though, they hung up after about three minutes of waiting for windows to boot. I was expecting them to have a little more patience!

geek_little_egypt, Jun 13, 2:50 pm

time is money !

geek_drcspy, Jun 13, 2:53 pm

Bummer they will call again 4 times here

geek_johnf_456, Jun 13, 3:09 pm

I just kept him on the phone for 20 minutes. I will have to try harder. I repeated after him www. P for Punjabi bastard, O for Overseas arsehole, M for Muslim arsehole, E for elephant fart, I can't remember the rest of the web address, but he said 'goodnight sir' and hung up.

geek_chito, Jun 13, 6:36 pm

Thumbs up good one mate! Give them hell I say!

geek_johnf_456, Jun 13, 6:53 pm

don't think it is auto dailer, had my first call this evening, and he started in by addressing me by christian and sirname, let him do his spiel and fianlly wandered into the computer room, pulled the modem plug out of the wall, sat down and went through the cold boot etc, had a smoke, finally got him to repeat about 3 times about how to open cmd and run - cos I just couldn't see any 'my computer' anywhere lol, and he gets me to type in www.ammyy.com and hit enter, asks me what is happening, so tell him nothing yet - it's verys low this computer, while I roll another fag, then tell him it is telling me it cannot find the address and it suggests I should be online to connect to the address, took him nearly 20 minutes to suss I wasn't actually connected - not bad for an IT expert I thought
he then wanted me to restart the computer - and it is very slow, well it is if you go and org a coffee and another fag,, finally he gets me to type in a run box that addy again and push enter
I ask him what is this going to do, he replies so he can look into my computer and tell me where all the errors are
I replied no way am I going to allow anyone remote access to my rig, or the other 5 rigs here, he gets all exited, then I tell him I've been fixing and building computers for the last 10 yrs
he replies ' you are just a f..kin. muthaf...ker and slams the phone down
thought that was quite rude of him, I never swore at him at anytime
37 minutes of my life gone and according to him earlier my computer is riddled with virus's and malaware ( got him to spell that twice and then explain what it was) so now I'll be losing sleep over it until I can find all these virus's and kill them
lol

geek_skin1235, Jun 15, 7:43 pm

geek_little_egypt, Jun 17, 4:02 pm

Good info there ^

geek_johnf_456, Jun 17, 4:22 pm

After the guy had done his spiel I told him I didn't have windows but that I had Mac. He said "oh dear" and hung up.

geek_leffman, Jun 17, 4:25 pm

Good one.

geek_pcfix4u, Jun 17, 4:56 pm

It is a automatic dialer, you do realise its not one group of scammers right?Everyone of them works differently to another. If you have fixed pc s for ten years then you should know this. Some want cc info, others claim to be from microsoft, some claim to be a legit company if you google them.

But good on ya for giving them crap.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 18, 3:51 pm

odd that they would have a christian name to go with such auto diallers, and my christian name does not appear in any phone listing, are you suggesting they can link to electoral rolls perhaps, or accessing govt records, (the only place my christian name appears) seems they must be very determined if they're going that far, and if so why don't they also research the occupations, and not bother calling anyone who works in IT
fail to see how fixing and building computers for 10 yrs can make me aware of how an auto dialler works

geek_skin1235, Jun 18, 4:01 pm