Cold Calling IT Scammers

......pmub

geek_galex, Jul 14, 10:15 pm

bump de bump

geek_plumbernick, Jul 15, 9:05 pm

1. Vain is used as an adjective to mean: without much value or significance; excessively proud or concerned about one's own appearance, personal qualities or achievements. The expression "in vain" as in "I argued in vain" means without achieving one's purpose.

2. Vane, a noun, most frequently refers to a device used to determine the direction of wind.

3. Vein as a noun refers to blood vessels that carry blood from various body parts to the heart. Similarly, veins also are tissues that form the principal framework of a leaf or line-markings in marble or rocks. Also, vein means a condition or manner (as in "in a serious vein.") As a verb vein means to supply with veins.

geek_gsimpson, Jul 15, 9:14 pm

I just had one Mick Salvador ( www.swappccare.com ) he gave me 09 8899166. said he was Microsoft Support - :(

geek_maylea, Jul 15, 9:17 pm

up ya go .....

geek_galex, Jul 17, 8:53 am

Why can't we have a sticky thread in the computing section like OP has said.

geek_plumbernick, Jul 21, 8:19 pm

Good point

geek_johnf_456, Jul 21, 10:34 pm

Amazingly there are still many people out there who haven't heard of the scam.
NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10739951

A cold-calling scam which tricks people into paying to fix a non-existent computer virus has reached nearly a third of New Zealanders, costing the country as much as $10 million. Ministry of Consumer Affairs' Scamwatch service said one in 20 people were falling for the scam, losing an average of around $200. The scammers usually claim to be from a Microsoft-related repair company, and persuade people that their computer has a virus. They then request remote access to the computer and charge the victim for ???computer repair software??. Scamwatch spokesman Jarrod Rendle said it had grown to be the largest phone scam reported in New Zealand, with 30 percent of adult New Zealanders phoned. "The message is simple: If someone calls you to say your computer has a virus or problem, it is a scam and you should hang up straight away." He said that while $500 was the most anyone had lost, there was potential for greater losses. Scammers who secured remote access could also record details like bank passwords, or use the computer to send spam emails. Scamwatch is teaming up with Microsoft, Trademe, and advertising firm Y&R in a weeklong campaign to inform New Zealanders about the scam.

geek_gsimpson, Jul 21, 11:09 pm

geek_galex, Jul 22, 1:11 pm

.. would have been nice if they'd done that about a year ago, they might have stopped so many people getting ripped off. Perhaps they should just wait another year and then they won't need to run a campaign at all.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 22, 1:22 pm

anyone seen the you tube link anout the guy who answered "yes" to everything they asked.. so funny. sorry don't have a link

geek_julmar, Jul 22, 9:37 pm

I've found a very satisfactory response to cold callers with an accent is to just keep saying "hello?"
After a few repeats they think the connection is faulty and hang up. And they seem to have stopped ringing back.

geek_mark.52, Jul 22, 10:46 pm

if there was a security standard for systems that are sold, then there wouldn't be any market for the vultures.
just saying.

geek_guest, Jul 25, 10:47 pm

my elderly friend got this scam call yesterday and as she had been having some problems with her computer she let them have remote control.She got so upset when they pressured her for payment, luckily she put them off.But now she is fearful of turning on her computer as she has no idea what they have done to it or if they still have access to it.They are scum to have upset her so much, to the point she has become ill.What does anyone think she should do now?

geek_coralr, Jul 27, 11:27 am

pay a tech to check it out

geek_drcspy, Jul 27, 11:28 am

yes just rang her and she has taken it to her tech.

geek_coralr, Jul 27, 11:47 am

shouldn't cost her much - a quick scan for malware and a look to see if any remote control apps are installed.......

geek_drcspy, Jul 27, 11:49 am

pmub

geek_galex, Jul 28, 1:46 pm

geek_johnf_456, Jul 29, 10:16 am

bumpy

geek_galex, Jul 31, 3:49 pm

Had such fun on the 4th such call in the same evening - they even kept phoning over the following week before giving up. Pretended to be very thick and kept saying 'but I really like to look OUT my WINDOWS, I can see lots of interesting things IN my WINDOWS and I can see naughty people coming to hurt my computer THROUGH my WINDOWS', and they kept trying to slow down their speech and 'saying tings very glearly.'
Hell, if you don't p____ them off, they'll wear you down.

geek_flutterbuys, Jul 31, 5:13 pm

had the same phone call about 6 times now, a whistle works really well

geek_suzy59nz, Jul 31, 9:27 pm

Had a few ring over the last 5 - 6 weeks. Usually tell them I don't have a computer. Last night told him and his bloo.y cousins that it was the Police Station here .Who did he want to speak to?Hung up !!

geek_hymac, Aug 1, 11:00 am

^-^
> ** <
""

geek_galex, Aug 3, 1:27 pm

Got my call last nite, absolutely entertainement plus, they arent very patient people especially if you are coming across as a total computer idiot and the politeness soon disappears once they realise you are onto it, after a few "choice words" of which I had to repeat 3 times, I had this lady screeming at me lol, she must have been having a seriously bad day.

Same thing tho trying to lead you off to a website ammy.com I think it was to download the software.

geek_marea31nz, Aug 8, 9:54 am

Thumbs up, good on ya. Give them hell.

geek_johnf_456, Aug 9, 7:37 pm

Good point!

geek__sms_, Aug 9, 7:47 pm

"Rasta narp" - [ phonetic spelling ] is an invitation for them to go elsewhere ;-) in Hindi. Worked for me.

geek_galex, Aug 11, 5:36 pm

i had one yesterday, but the thing that gets me, is how they can think that their very bad english would fool anybody! They were near impossible to understand. The only word i understood was windows.

geek_haybales, Aug 11, 7:40 pm

Just say the person that's being called is in jail for murdering a cold-call sales person. No more calls.

geek_owene, Aug 11, 8:52 pm

pump

geek_galex, Aug 16, 7:28 pm

Are many people still getting these calls!Mine seem to have stopped. thank gawd.

geek_galex, Aug 20, 8:06 am

We had 2 this week, one while at a friends and one at home.

geek_johnf_456, Aug 20, 12:25 pm

I got one the other day, unfortunately the only phone working around here at the moment doesn't do speakerphone and my VM hasn't been started for weeks, so I just strung him along for a while. He told me to 'open my computer' so I said I was getting a screwdriver. Eventually got to the part about pressing the windows key and I said I didn't have one, just an apple key and a cloverleaf thing. Finally he figured out I was describing a Mac and started about how my Mac had terrible viruses, and I asked why their company 'windows operating system' would be calling me, and how he didn't already know it was a mac if it had been sending them error reports.

He hung up. Almost 7 minutes.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 20, 4:55 pm

Why don't you "bump" off! This has been flogged to death in the press, on radio and TV. Jeez, some people.

geek_mlh19658, Aug 23, 1:39 pm

As per the thread title I will keep bumping it, some people have not heard of it. I fix a few a week from it.

geek_johnf_456, Aug 23, 1:48 pm

Well said john.You keep bumping, it gives you a purpose in life.

geek__sms_, Aug 23, 2:03 pm

Well, that's subtle.

geek_mlh19658, Aug 23, 2:29 pm

Whats the problem!

geek_johnf_456, Aug 23, 8:52 pm

geek_little_egypt, Aug 24, 1:43 pm

I had these guys ring up like 5-10 times over the past few months her at my fathers place. I believe my father originally didn't understand and normally hangs up. Once I answered and told them to f'off, you think that be the last of em, the guy even told me to go f myself in response, it was funny as he could barely speak english.The last time they rang I just pretended I was my father and pretended I was doing what they were asking etc. 20minutes down the line I said I will just get a local it guy to do it for free and they were VERY sure that they were the only ones on the planet to help. was very funny.The website they wanted you to goto is www.ammyy.com and download their backdoor trojan application etc. This is after getting you to run eventtvwr. that event viewer always has red circles and crosses etc. doesn't mean any fatal error is occuring.

geek_prime6, Aug 24, 4:52 pm

well so far ive had five calls so far this year on this scam.takes a while for call to get through. then i ask who is calling one was nancy the othersomething else and all calls sounded of asian accent.last one i had this week i told them their call was being recorded at police staion and they asked why i was recording it and hung up

geek_pearlypearl, Aug 24, 7:53 pm

it's NOT a 'backdoor trojan application' it IS ammyadmin which is a very good simple to use remote control app.legit also

geek_drcspy, Aug 24, 8:28 pm

never realised johnny was a she!

geek_zak410, Aug 24, 8:39 pm

I guess the thing is drcspy is they wanted me to download this exe file without telling me a thing and run it and give them full access to my pc. That is pretty back door if you ask me, get client to enable remote access without even letting them know what there doing. I still think the app has a virus in it, looked ultra dodgy.

geek_prime6, Aug 27, 4:06 pm

That's like claiming that your telephone is a 'malicious social engineering tool' -- it's not, it's just a telephone and normally it's a very useful thing. But sometimes people will use it for malicious purposes.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 27, 4:10 pm

I had another call this week, I knew who it was as soon as I heard the music playing instead of a voice.After a several seconds an Indian man asked if I was Mr D. and I hung up.They did not ring back again.

geek_peter148, Aug 27, 4:14 pm

Get calls from these people every few months. They always say you have a problem with your windows computers. I always say to them:

First of all, anyone who has a windows computer has a problem, secondly you have no way of monitoring my internet connection, and thirdly i am a macintosh user.

Generally they hang up straight away.

geek_nzsoftware, Aug 27, 10:28 pm

Yeah Jeez some people aye mlh19658, so you are wanting John to stop trying to help the ones who haven't yet heard of this from being sucked in! Muppet.

geek_galex, Aug 28, 12:06 am

It is dodgy but I don't understand why so many people are that guillable that they will follow instructions from someone who has rung them!
There is no way I would do anything on my computer unless I was talking to someone I had rung - ie Telecom, IT consultant.

geek_shelleigh, Aug 29, 12:19 pm