Cold Calling IT Scammers

i just had a call 2mins ago and when i said i dont care that i have computer problems they told me to shove it in my ass,lmfao classic

geek_mbikeman1, Oct 22, 7:45 pm

They are getting very abusive now days so I'm told, I think they are getting a bit sick of the abuse since more people are informed about what they are upto.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 22, 8:49 pm

geek_plumbernick, Nov 14, 7:19 pm

:-)

geek_galex, Nov 18, 6:50 pm

Won't work I'm afraid. I guarantee that half the people that post these repetitive repetitive repetitive threads have no idea what "cold calling" means. Maybe if it was labelled "Indian guy from Microsoft" or "Phone call says computer has a problem" we might be able to trim the number of threads posted about it to just 3 or 4 a day.

geek_waipawa, May 27, 9:44 pm

Trying to be helpful. Bumping will only happen for a comparatively short time. You can bet that with all the best intentions, within a week, the post will have slipped to page 2 or beyond. Also causes the same clutter as if people were continually making the same inquiry, which is what seems to be getting people uptight. Also involves a lot of people remembering to bump.
Suggestion:- How about as many regulars who can be bothered copy & paste Johnf's message, or any suitable message & hold it handy. When inevitably another bewildered innocent wanders in with "Is this a torgan", first on the scene goes Ctrl>C.Ctrl>V. Job done. Poster is happy & goes away, & all before anyone could say wtf.
Just an idea.

geek_richard112, May 28, 12:48 pm

Good on you .going to take quite a bit for you to kep this bumped, but all the best!

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:45 pm

Well here is a good opportunity to educate them.
It may surprise you but not everyone sits at the computer 24/7 reading the MB .so it is quite easy to miss a thread.
So you guys keep this thread bumped, it may just help someone and relieve you of a bit of angst .though I do wonder why you read a thread when it says clearly what it is about and it is something you get sick of reading.but each to their own.

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:50 pm

Thats exactly what i say. .so you keep it bumped.

geek_pip4, May 28, 6:58 pm

Does IT stand for Indian Telephony!
I don't know, just asking.

geek_peter148, May 29, 12:19 am

This is "Community Moderation" in action. Given that Trademe have abdicated their responsibility to moderate this board themselves, it is left to the community to do what moderation we can within what limited powers we have.
All well-run forums are moderated to keep out the spam and the trolls, and avoid the clutter of self-promotional threads and repetitive threads shoving the good stuff out. One of the ways to do this is via "sticky" threads addressing issues commonly raised on the forum, and which are always at the top of the list of thread titles.

It's not angst, dude, it's called working to keep the TM messageboard useable, doing our part as the de facto moderators of this forum.

geek_waipawa, May 29, 12:30 am

Whatever .
So before anyone posts on here they have to check every thread that has ever been placed on here!
Just dont read the subject lines that bother you! :-)

geek_pip4, May 29, 8:36 am

Yes its called being polite, why have multiple topics on the same issue when it could be kept to one and be more enjoyable! If you don't like it go away.

geek_johnf_456, May 29, 10:13 am

unfortunately scammer's who are successful rely on their "marks" being people who don't use computer forums, or even google.

geek_ctnz, May 29, 10:17 am

Hey
You were the one originally complaining about a post made about scammers.
And I dont *go away* LOL

geek_pip4, May 29, 10:37 am

What we need is TRADEME Volunteer Moderators that can delete Thread BAN people and assiogn Sticky Thread.etc.

geek_rohb, May 29, 3:42 pm

Sounds a bit like Adolf's brown shirts. IF, and I'm really using my imagination here, TM decided to assign a sticky for this subject, should we then have another for "What's the best free antivirus" "My desktop is small, big, sideways. How do I get it back!" "My laptop is overheating" "My computer is slow" "Everything Linux is really really choice" & all the other repetitive threads that pop up. Can't see that this particular issue is such a big deal, except some have chosen to make it so, and 'My God, it's going to stay that way'.

geek_richard112, May 29, 4:01 pm

Mee too First thing I do I will BAN Richard !ROLF

geek_rohb, May 29, 5:00 pm

Can any of you guys go to the nethui and bring up the indian scammers issue!

geek_mr-word, May 29, 6:28 pm

makes you wonder why they have a computer at all

geek_ctnz, May 29, 7:39 pm

LOL thats already been done for YOU . ;-)

geek_mrfxit, May 31, 10:55 am

Just watched nothing I didn't know but hopefully some in here did watch it.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 1, 7:58 pm

What about "silent calls" where the phone rings, you answer, and no-one is on the other end! You say hello a couple of times then hang up. I get a 2 or 3 of these every week. But I STILL haven't received a single "problem with your PC" scam call. I'm feeling left out!

geek_waipawa, Jun 2, 10:35 am

so they can play solitaire, what else would they use it for!

geek_pcmaster, Jun 2, 12:28 pm

they said i had an infection. i said i have cream for it and hung up :)

geek_velenski, Jun 3, 12:08 pm

what a fun guy. ;-)

geek_little_egypt, Jun 3, 7:23 pm

If only people out smarted them, if people didn't get sucked in there would be no scams.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 3, 8:00 pm

Got several 'goodbye' calls yesterday. I'm expecting another IT scam call real soon. I'd better check that my VM and call recording setup is still ready for them.

geek_little_egypt, Jun 5, 10:07 am

I just had one phone a few minutes ago - I just said you are wasting your time we have a mac - she hung up onme - what a bitch - how rude LOL LMAO!

Edited to ask - Since I told lies will my nose grow!

geek_iamkat, Jun 6, 7:14 pm

They phoned again tonight and offered to repair for $165. (Holiday discount!).

Total time wasted: 18 minutes.

geek_martinhb, Jun 6, 9:11 pm

We had some fun , I used the old Win98 box, had not been turned on for some time, took ages to boot. He said my HDD was stuffed and I needed more RAM (it already has 512Mb) . When it had booted, he asked me to go to a website (PC not on network) I said, oh, I'm on dial up . So the conversation turned to "get a cellphone" , I said "I can't my credit card is maxed out" . that is when he said "not even $165 to fix your computer!" :)

The best call so far, and one I could have done at the Mac since he didn't do the "event check" first, just straight to the website.

geek_martinhb, Jun 7, 7:46 am

Had your call yet little_egypt!

geek_johnf_456, Jun 8, 4:16 pm

They've been calling constantly for the lastfew days I've hung up on them a few times as it was obvoudly them becasue of the lag. Caller ID says 501. Finally answered again this afternoon and told them to piss off! Bastards!

geek_banty, Jun 8, 4:22 pm

Still waiting. I'm out a hell of a lot at the moment but I'm not even seeing that many missed calls on the caller id. They just don't call me any more.

geek_little_egypt, Jun 8, 5:19 pm

Just had the computer maintenance person from microsoft ring me, he said he was based in Papakura Auckland, when asked for website he said he and then asked him to give it to me - he hung up -- OH SHAME! this would make about 10th time we have had this call.

geek_marlin9, Jun 9, 7:05 pm

Had the call but unfortunately I couldn't understand a word. He waffled on for 5min with me not having a clue what he was on about. "hang on I'll try the other phone" "OK, what was that!" He started his spiel again so I laid the phone down. 20min later I checked the phone and he had hung up.

geek_gsimpson, Jun 10, 11:43 pm

Bump. have been called three times in one week! They called a business phone during business hours so I asked for a name and address to send an account to at an hourly rate of $250 per hour. I am a consultant after all. They did not like it much.

geek_electromic, Jun 12, 12:58 am

There seems to be getting more and more of them; Ihad three calls last week. I just let them chatter on and on then switch off when I am sick of them. Had one last week ringing from a "boiler room", the background noise of other operators ringing other phones was huge. The guy told me the background noise was traffic as he had his window open! Doh!

geek_sapper1, Jun 12, 3:19 pm

Got one. Didn't last long though, they hung up after about three minutes of waiting for windows to boot. I was expecting them to have a little more patience!

geek_little_egypt, Jun 13, 2:50 pm

I just kept him on the phone for 20 minutes. I will have to try harder. I repeated after him www. P for Punjabi bastard, O for Overseas arsehole, M for Muslim arsehole, E for elephant fart, I can't remember the rest of the web address, but he said 'goodnight sir' and hung up.

geek_chito, Jun 13, 6:36 pm

don't think it is auto dailer, had my first call this evening, and he started in by addressing me by christian and sirname, let him do his spiel and fianlly wandered into the computer room, pulled the modem plug out of the wall, sat down and went through the cold boot etc, had a smoke, finally got him to repeat about 3 times about how to open cmd and run - cos I just couldn't see any 'my computer' anywhere lol, and he gets me to type in (edit- don't want anyone accidentally clicking on the link so changed it - the ammyy is correct)w.w.w.ammyy.com and hit enter, asks me what is happening, so tell him nothing yet - it's very slow this computer, while I roll another fag, then tell him it is telling me it cannot find the address and it suggests I should be online to connect to the address, took him nearly 20 minutes to suss I wasn't actually connected - not bad for an IT expert I thought
he then wanted me to restart the computer - and it is very slow, well it is if you go and org a coffee and another fag,, finally he gets me to type in a run box that addy again and push enter
I ask him what is this going to do, he replies so he can look into my computer and tell me where all the errors are
I replied no way am I going to allow anyone remote access to my rig, or the other 5 rigs here, he gets all exited, then I tell him I've been fixing and building computers for the last 10 yrs
he replies ' you are just a f.kin. muthaf.ker and slams the phone down
thought that was quite rude of him, I never swore at him at anytime
37 minutes of my life gone and according to him earlier my computer is riddled with virus's and malaware ( got him to spell that twice and then explain what it was) so now I'll be losing sleep over it until I can find all these virus's and kill them
lol

geek_skin1235, Jun 15, 7:43 pm

geek_little_egypt, Jun 17, 4:02 pm

After the guy had done his spiel I told him I didn't have windows but that I had Mac. He said "oh dear" and hung up.

geek_leffman, Jun 17, 4:25 pm

It is a automatic dialer, you do realise its not one group of scammers right!Everyone of them works differently to another. If you have fixed pc s for ten years then you should know this. Some want cc info, others claim to be from microsoft, some claim to be a legit company if you google them.

But good on ya for giving them crap.

geek_johnf_456, Jun 18, 3:51 pm

odd that they would have a christian name to go with such auto diallers, and my christian name does not appear in any phone listing, are you suggesting they can link to electoral rolls perhaps, or accessing govt records, (the only place my christian name appears) seems they must be very determined if they're going that far, and if so why don't they also research the occupations, and not bother calling anyone who works in IT
fail to see how fixing and building computers for 10 yrs can make me aware of how an auto dialler works

geek_skin1235, Jun 18, 4:01 pm

this is not a go at you john, my limited understanding of auto diallers is that they will generate a number, call it, and if answered transfer to a person at their end, or note the live number for callback
to take that to individual investigations to get names would be assuming a bit much - the scam would have to be extremely lucrative to warrant it and would involve a lot more outgoing 'share' on their end - not something their known for - fast buck in and out

geek_skin1235, Jun 18, 4:05 pm

There's more than one group. Some will be dialling numbers in sequence with no information about the people they call, but many have obviously obtained lists of names and numbers from various sources and will already know your name when you answer. Most of them will be using autodiallers though; even the ones with a list of names will call all those numbers automatically and only transfer the call to a 'technician' after a real person answers the phone.

geek_little_egypt, Jun 18, 4:12 pm

goodness gracious me.

geek_galex, Jun 19, 3:44 pm

I think they're working off phone directories rather than autodialling, I am unlisted and have never had one of these calls. Also, bump.

geek_drsr, Jun 19, 4:52 pm

Vindows Varning, i am to be telling you.

geek_galex, Jun 20, 7:33 pm