Cold Calling IT Scammers

Had the call today, Indian Lady. she advised I had a virus on my Windows operating system. I kept her talking for a bit while I finished an email, then told her I had an Apple and didn't use Microsoft. she hung up

geek_r-mvz, Jun 22, 11:00 pm

I must be their favourite phone number. Got two calls yesterday within 5 minutes of each other; one male one female, both Asian. Took out my hearing aid for the female and kept on telling her I had trouble hearing her, went on for a fair while, in the end she was screaming - no sense of humour, she hung up. The guy I asked where he was ringing from and the phone went silent, then he said 'Washington', I burst out laughing and he hung up as well. Funny people these consultants!

geek_sapper1, Jun 22, 11:03 pm

An elderly neighbour who doesn't have a computer got called twice by these scammers a couple of months ago and she told them she didn't have a computer, but in the last couple of days she has had 3 calls and when she picks up the phone there is a long silence and then she hears an automated woman's voice with an American accent saying "goodbye" and then it clicks off.Would this be the scammers as well!

geek_gdnshack, Jun 24, 11:41 pm

I have a friend who seems to have fallen for this, fortunately she doesnt use internet banking.
Even after i told her it was a scam she claimed it was legit and told me of the website 'greybytes.com' which presents as a legit computer tech company.

They claim to have an NZ phone number to call. Iwonder if they can be traced by that.

geek_budgel, Jun 29, 8:20 pm

Not only computers -- now, they are targetting cellphones.

I got the " YOU HAVE WON 1.2 MILLION EUROS FROM THE NOKIA PROMO" scam.

A (female) friend got one similar---BUT, she sent them her email addy.

When I informed her of the realities of the scam, she then sent them about twenty abusive emails -- thereby confirming her addy!

There are people out there who shouldn't be allowed in front of a keyboard/steering wheel/tuner.

geek_pge, Jun 30, 10:21 am

Bump.

2nd phone call ,1st we were eating tea about a month ago & i went along for a while yes the PC is in front of me go here here here etc which i did off by heart then she passed me on to their supervisor.
Had a stand up augment with their Leader with a few more chosen choice words added & then he hung up ,
This time i wasn'tfast enough another member of the family answered Just as i picked up & heardthe M$ bit & i Just said FeeK Off .
The rude person on the other end hung up on us PMSL.

geek_icioufa, Jun 30, 8:42 pm

IRD Scam is raging now. Hmmmm

Please return for tax refund,,, LO loudly, never asked for a credit details - but neverless be watchful.

geek_valentino, Jul 1, 2:32 pm

Wow 3rd call this time they told me i was using a M$ O/S .
I said how can that be we all areusing Linux .
Another Hangup geez give a man a break .lol

geek_icioufa, Jul 1, 5:55 pm

geek_little_egypt, Jul 5, 8:45 pm

What's even more interesting though, is that apparently victims of the scam are paying an average of well over a thousand dollars a time to have their machines cleared of potential trojans afterwards. It seems the Indians aren't the only ones making a bit of profit from this scam.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 5, 8:57 pm

Indian guy called second day in a row saying he was from Computer Soultions IT department asking if I had a computer and was it switched on!Grrr, just hung up.Scammers!

geek_smileyface2, Jul 6, 4:02 pm

Scams have been around for years and the scammers know who to target and they buy and sell info such as email addresses and phone numbers. There is an IRS email scam going around at present it has an infected attachment they want you to open so that they can then track where you go online and then hack your accounts. The best place to let people know is facebook most people are on it and it's the fastest way to get the message out there. As soon as I get wind of a scam I tell people. Some foolish nigerian emailed me asking for my help to invest 24 million dollars told him to f off and haven't heard from him since. Scammers will use gods name in vane, have poor grammar and spelling and tell you to keep it a secret. They must think people are idiots. A good place to learn about scams is 419eater.com

geek_angeldust33, Jul 9, 12:56 am

what the hell is going on just had caller saying microsoft servicecentre,,,he didnt get a chance to say anythingtold him he was a scam and hung upbeen getting these on and off for a couple weeks,,,,nowgetting a bit pissed off

geek_muzzaandmich, Jul 9, 8:40 pm

Yes I also suspect it will only get worse, as voip is free, so it doesn't cost them anything, and they will eventually be automated.It is basically the next form of spam.

geek_mattnzw, Jul 9, 9:56 pm

Sadly yes it is getting worse and they have been doing it for a few years now and only targeting NZ in recent times. I believe the fair go website has a good low down on them. The key is if it sounds too good to be true or if it doesn't sound right then it is most likely not real. They are very pushy and I have had about 3 of them myself.

geek_johnf_456, Jul 9, 9:58 pm

what about silent calls, is anyone getting those. I had 5 yesterday. someone else had that happen to them. they stayed on the phone and after 20 seconds the computer voice said 'goodbye'then ended the call.

geek_chooken1, Jul 10, 12:54 pm

. --- .

geek_galex, Jul 11, 6:36 pm

I had about 5 of these calls in about 3 weeks.The first four times I was very rude and basically told the caller to get f****d and that I was calling the police, but they kept calling back. ***sigh***The last time one called I asked him how he got the name "Richard" with an accent like that. He hung up straight away and I havn't had a call from them in over a month.The next time they called, I was gonna ask if his parents were proud of him for stealing from innocent people, and then the next time, time allowing, I was just going to pretend to play along for a 1/2 hour or so, and waste THEIR time.See how long it took for them to get mad and hang up.

geek_bswit, Jul 11, 11:15 pm

got another one tonight.this time they were on about my internet connection.I let them do their spiel.and just sald that I did not have a computer.they soon hung up.

geek_flashpak, Jul 12, 11:54 pm

There's an insidious Lotto scam now too.A rotorua family got told they'd won
$10 million last week at countdown.Yeah right! My advice would be to rip up
the ticket &scatter it to the winds.

geek_deodar1, Jul 13, 12:38 am

Whatever don't fill in a claim form& provide your bank a/c #

geek_deodar1, Jul 13, 12:44 am

.pmub

geek_galex, Jul 14, 10:15 pm

1. Vain is used as an adjective to mean: without much value or significance; excessively proud or concerned about one's own appearance, personal qualities or achievements. The expression "in vain" as in "I argued in vain" means without achieving one's purpose.

2. Vane, a noun, most frequently refers to a device used to determine the direction of wind.

3. Vein as a noun refers to blood vessels that carry blood from various body parts to the heart. Similarly, veins also are tissues that form the principal framework of a leaf or line-markings in marble or rocks. Also, vein means a condition or manner (as in "in a serious vein.") As a verb vein means to supply with veins.

geek_gsimpson, Jul 15, 9:14 pm

I just had one Mick Salvador ( www.swappccare.com ) he gave me 09 8899166. said he was Microsoft Support - wanted me to pay $300 US.( AND no I didnt ) !

geek_maylea, Jul 15, 9:17 pm

up ya go .

geek_galex, Jul 17, 8:53 am

Why can't we have a sticky thread in the computing section like OP has said.

geek_plumbernick, Jul 21, 8:19 pm

Amazingly there are still many people out there who haven't heard of the scam.
NZ Herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm!c_id=1&objectid=10739951

A cold-calling scam which tricks people into paying to fix a non-existent computer virus has reached nearly a third of New Zealanders, costing the country as much as $10 million. Ministry of Consumer Affairs' Scamwatch service said one in 20 people were falling for the scam, losing an average of around $200. The scammers usually claim to be from a Microsoft-related repair company, and persuade people that their computer has a virus. They then request remote access to the computer and charge the victim for ???computer repair software??. Scamwatch spokesman Jarrod Rendle said it had grown to be the largest phone scam reported in New Zealand, with 30 percent of adult New Zealanders phoned. "The message is simple: If someone calls you to say your computer has a virus or problem, it is a scam and you should hang up straight away." He said that while $500 was the most anyone had lost, there was potential for greater losses. Scammers who secured remote access could also record details like bank passwords, or use the computer to send spam emails. Scamwatch is teaming up with Microsoft, Trademe, and advertising firm Y&R in a weeklong campaign to inform New Zealanders about the scam.

geek_gsimpson, Jul 21, 11:09 pm

geek_galex, Jul 22, 1:11 pm

. would have been nice if they'd done that about a year ago, they might have stopped so many people getting ripped off. Perhaps they should just wait another year and then they won't need to run a campaign at all.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 22, 1:22 pm

anyone seen the you tube link anout the guy who answered "yes" to everything they asked. so funny. sorry don't have a link

geek_julmar, Jul 22, 9:37 pm

I've found a very satisfactory response to cold callers with an accent is to just keep saying "hello!"
After a few repeats they think the connection is faulty and hang up. And they seem to have stopped ringing back.

geek_mark.52, Jul 22, 10:46 pm

my elderly friend got this scam call yesterday and as she had been having some problems with her computer she let them have remote control.She got so upset when they pressured her for payment, luckily she put them off.But now she is fearful of turning on her computer as she has no idea what they have done to it or if they still have access to it.They are scum to have upset her so much, to the point she has become ill.What does anyone think she should do now!

geek_coralr, Jul 27, 11:27 am

Had such fun on the 4th such call in the same evening - they even kept phoning over the following week before giving up. Pretended to be very thick and kept saying 'but I really like to look OUT my WINDOWS, I can see lots of interesting things IN my WINDOWS and I can see naughty people coming to hurt my computer THROUGH my WINDOWS', and they kept trying to slow down their speech and 'saying tings very glearly.'
Hell, if you don't p____ them off, they'll wear you down.

geek_flutterbuys, Jul 31, 5:13 pm

Had a few ring over the last 5 - 6 weeks. Usually tell them I don't have a computer. Last night told him and his bloo.y cousins that it was the Police Station here .Who did he want to speak to!Hung up !

geek_hymac, Aug 1, 11:00 am

Just say the person that's being called is in jail for murdering a cold-call sales person. No more calls.

geek_owene, Aug 11, 8:52 pm

I got one the other day, unfortunately the only phone working around here at the moment doesn't do speakerphone and my VM hasn't been started for weeks, so I just strung him along for a while. He told me to 'open my computer' so I said I was getting a screwdriver. Eventually got to the part about pressing the windows key and I said I didn't have one, just an apple key and a cloverleaf thing. Finally he figured out I was describing a Mac and started about how my Mac had terrible viruses, and I asked why their company 'windows operating system' would be calling me, and how he didn't already know it was a mac if it had been sending them error reports.

He hung up. Almost 7 minutes.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 20, 4:55 pm

Why don't you "bump" off! This has been flogged to death in the press, on radio and TV. Jeez, some people.

geek_mlh19658, Aug 23, 1:39 pm

Well, that's subtle.

geek_mlh19658, Aug 23, 2:29 pm

I had these guys ring up like 5-10 times over the past few months here, at my fathers place. I believe my father originally didn't understand and normally hangs up. Once I answered and told them to f'off, you think that be the last of em, the guy even told me to go f myself in response, it was funny as he could barely speak english.The last time they rang I just pretended I was my father and pretended I was doing what they were asking etc. 20minutes down the line I said I will just get a local it guy to do it for free and they were VERY sure that they were the only ones on the planet to help. was very funny.The website they wanted you to goto is www.ammyy.com and download their backdoor trojan application etc. This is after getting you to run eventtvwr. that event viewer always has red circles and crosses etc. doesn't mean any fatal error is occuring. (sorry for no paraspacing, blame ps3 browser)

geek_prime6, Aug 24, 4:52 pm

That's like claiming that your telephone is a 'malicious social engineering tool' -- it's not, it's just a telephone and normally it's a very useful thing. But sometimes people will use it for malicious purposes.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 27, 4:10 pm

Get calls from these people every few months. They always say you have a problem with your windows computers. I always say to them:

First of all, anyone who has a windows computer has a problem, secondly you have no way of monitoring my internet connection, and thirdly i am a macintosh user.

Generally they hang up straight away.

I might actually go through with it and stop before I download anything.

geek_nzsoftware, Aug 27, 10:28 pm

Yeah Jeez some people aye mlh19658, so you are wanting John to stop trying to help the ones who haven't yet heard of this from being sucked in! Muppet.

geek_galex, Aug 28, 12:06 am

It is dodgy but I don't understand why so many people are that guillable that they will follow instructions from someone who has rung them!
There is no way I would do anything on my computer unless I was talking to someone I had rung - ie Telecom, IT consultant.

geek_shelleigh, Aug 29, 12:19 pm

Because people do think that they were the ones that called first. They clicked 'send' on the error report, then someone 'from microsoft' is calling them back to help with the error.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 29, 12:45 pm

I always ring Telecom if something like that comes up because I'm not that computer savvy. Is just common sense to me.

geek_shelleigh, Aug 29, 2:07 pm

Hardly. I meant I would never click send on an error report because I don't know where that report would go to so I play it safe and just exit from it.

geek_shelleigh, Aug 29, 6:46 pm

Had one the other day - managed to string it out for 25 minutes - was quite entertaining. Very thick indian accent, could barely understand them. The script was badly written and when questioned they would just repeat it and try and get through it asap. When they thought they 'had' me an IT 'expert' was called in and he tried to take me through to a remote managing website.
Figured every minute of theirs wasted is less victims to prey on.

geek_audi_s_ate, Aug 29, 7:06 pm

"audi_s_ate wrote:
Rung again, recorded it will edit this message again with details in a few minutes with youtube link. Sorry I was being pretty random at the end of a long days work. Felt like I could have strung them along for hours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=zKH6c-JFHZM"

Oh this is beautiful to listen to.I'm 1/2 way through, the supervisor just came on :D

"Oh durka"

"You call Scotland!"

I tell you I was cracking up and cringing all at the same time :DAwesome work.BTW nice voice ;)

geek_..pip.., Sep 8, 6:36 pm

Classic clip. Whenever I try to string them along I can't keep a straight face and just crack up.

geek_peter148, Sep 8, 6:49 pm

Haha, at the time I thought this is going to be extremely lame - but listening back to it makes for some good entertainment. I apologise for the language at the end - I should have ended it more tactfully.
Thanks for the compliments guys, appreciate it.
They have called back everyday since - wasn't home though, so maybe it was not such a good idea!

geek_audi_s_ate, Sep 9, 7:21 am