Laptop Buying Advice

Hiya guys,

I'm going overseas to Europe to live for a year in August. Anyway, I need to buy a laptop to keep in touch with family and friends etc.. and everything else.
My budget would probably be around $1300NZD
Would it be best to buy here in NZ or Duty free in my stop over in Hong Kong?

I quite like the looks of the sony Vaio laptops, and reliability is a must.
The laptop must have a webcam built in, wireless, reliable, be able to do a fair amount of word documents etc.. and if The budge stretches faster the better (I'm young and if possible like to do the odd bit of gaming, nothing serious) and to watch movies etc..

What do you guys recommend and what would I be looking at at my price range? Cheers.

geek_superfreek, Jun 3, 2:50 pm

webcam/wireless ...........etc......they all do that.........gaming .......depends a LOT on what games......you'd need to check the specs of the games and compare that to whatever machine you were looking at.......

get one with dedicated video graphics card 1Gb at least if you're gaming.......
laptops are not really made for gaming ......well not cheap laptops anyway....'gaming laptops' are VERY expensive.......

whatever you get make sure it has a 'GLOBAL WARRANTY'......

geek_drcspy, Jun 3, 9:57 pm

Reliability.........Asus/Toshi-
ba/Sony.........

'be able to do a fair amount of word documents' ??

rofl ANY laptop will do that.........just make sure you have some sort of application installed such as open office (free) or whatever .......and DONT' get talked into paying for such as Norton antivirus it's CRAP

geek_drcspy, Jun 3, 9:59 pm

As above toshiba, asus, sony

geek_johnf_456, Jun 3, 10:02 pm

Sony Vaio have had a bad rap.I think it was about heat and cooling issues.Might want to do a bit of research there?Ive had a toshiba satellite for about 3 years now.Its good with no hassels but its also heavy and the battery dosnt last more than 10 minutes now.I do know Toshiba lappys have goten alot lighter and mine has a dedicated graphics as well.

geek_teroopu, Jun 3, 10:02 pm

Hiya guys,

I'm going overseas to Europe to live for a year in August. Anyway, I need to buy a laptop to keep in touch with family and friends etc. and everything else.
My budget would probably be around $1300NZD
Would it be best to buy here in NZ or Duty free in my stop over in Hong Kong!

I quite like the looks of the sony Vaio laptops, and reliability is a must.
The laptop must have a webcam built in, wireless, reliable, be able to do a fair amount of word documents etc. and if The budge stretches faster the better (I'm young and if possible like to do the odd bit of gaming, nothing serious) and to watch movies etc.

What do you guys recommend and what would I be looking at at my price range! Cheers.

geek_superfreek, Jun 4, 2:50 pm

webcam/wireless .etc.they all do that.gaming .depends a LOT on what games.you'd need to check the specs of the games and compare that to whatever machine you were looking at.

get one with dedicated video graphics card 1Gb at least if you're gaming.
laptops are not really made for gaming .well not cheap laptops anyway.'gaming laptops' are VERY expensive.

whatever you get make sure it has a 'GLOBAL WARRANTY'.

geek_drcspy, Jun 4, 9:57 pm

Reliability.Asus/Toshi-
ba/Sony.

'be able to do a fair amount of word documents' !

rofl ANY laptop will do that.just make sure you have some sort of application installed such as open office (free) or whatever .and DONT' get talked into paying for such as Norton antivirus it's CRAP

geek_drcspy, Jun 4, 9:59 pm

Sony Vaio have had a bad rap.I think it was about heat and cooling issues.Might want to do a bit of research there!Ive had a toshiba satellite for about 3 years now.Its good with no hassels but its also heavy and the battery dosnt last more than 10 minutes now.I do know Toshiba lappys have goten alot lighter and mine has a dedicated graphics as well.

geek_teroopu, Jun 4, 10:02 pm