Router2Modem Yes! - Modem2Comp No! Internet Access

Hi all, first of all, thanks for viewing.

I have a PC (win7 pro x64) connected to a Router at home, my IP address from the provider is static, and these settings have been set. With Modem>Router>PC the internet is fine.

When I take away the Router, and have Modem>Computer. The internet does not work.

I have entered in the IP addresses correctly multiple times. I even ctrl+c and ctrl+v them from router settings page to IPv4 settings just to make sure. Doesn't work.

I have reset, uninstalled, rolled back, updated the network card twice and nothing, restarted the pc & modem many times.

I have reset the WINS socket (like here: http://windows7themes.net/repair-reset-winsock-windows-7.html)

When I plug my router back into the modem, and then connect the PC to the router. Internet works.

I have tested this with my laptop (windows 7 pro 32bit) and entered the ip settings as I did for the desktop PC, and internet works. (laptop > modem)

What else can I say? I have been to the manufacturers website and updated the driver from there, no good.

If you have any questions or opinions on what I should do, please do say.

P.S. I did ring the telstra clear help desk and not surprisingly got nowhere.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 6:30 pm

Proxy?

geek_lostdude, Jun 5, 6:40 pm

and these mysterious modem and router have model names?

geek_gibler, Jun 5, 6:40 pm

No proxy has been set, I checked it anyway, and no proxy has been set.

I'm totally stumped on this one, very embarrassing for a networking major it student..

the modem is a standard telstra clear motorolla sb5101.

the router doesn't really matter, since the problem is when the router is taken out of the equation but it is d-link dir-615

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 6:43 pm

ipv6... dns server..

I assume you aren't using the usb on the modem..?

geek_gibler, Jun 5, 6:46 pm

Now lets rule the ethernet adapter out by booting from the latest ubuntu (et al) cd/dvd

geek_lostdude, Jun 5, 6:47 pm

I am using the ethernet connection from modem to pc.

I have just checked the ipv6 ip/dns settings and they are on automatic. I don't suspect DNS is the problem because I cannot even ping an address such as 8.8.8.8 (google dns) or my default gateway. Thanks for the help so far though.

I have hirens boot cd and will load mini linux and attempt to configure the ip settings. Thanks for the idea.. back in 5

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 6:49 pm

The most mind boggling question for me is, why the hell does my desktop work with the router, and not with only with the modem, with the ip/dns/gateway settings 101% identical.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 6:51 pm

well.. it doesn't appear to be working in mini linux or mini xp..

however once again I must say that this pc works when connected to the internet through the router.. (which I also setup, so I am highly doubting pebkac)

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 7:05 pm

lol, ok. So have you tried USB as gibler hinted at?

geek_lostdude, Jun 5, 7:08 pm

I wonder if the modem has any rules based on ethernet address...?

..reset modem to factory default.. see if there are firmware updates..

geek_gibler, Jun 5, 7:09 pm

There is no reset button anywhere on the modem. I pulled the plug for 5min earlier and that didn't help. I don't have the cable to use the USB connection from the modem.

Well gibler I was thinking that myself, so when I went into the router last time I cloned my PC's MAC address onto the router and rebooted.

Still in the same problem after that too..

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 7:12 pm

I should also add that about 3 weeks ago I had the connection running modem>pc before I bought the router.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 5, 7:13 pm

What are you trying to achieve?

You should be using a router anyway as it provides you with a certain degree of protection that you don't get with a direct internet connection.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 6, 11:54 am

there will be - look harder it's often inside a VERy small hole.......

geek_drcspy, Jun 6, 11:57 am

I want to take the router away because I need it for my laptop somewhere else, but I don't want to leave my partner with no internet on the desktop.

I can safely say that there is no RESET hole/button/switch/etc on the Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 12:19 pm

I still have this inexplicable question, Why will the *Desktop work behind NAT, not with a Direct Connection to the cable modem.

When my laptop will work in either scenario.. (IP/DG/DNS checked many times)

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 12:23 pm

I had the same problem which turned out to be a faulty eth cable.It was a crossover wrongly packaged as an Ethernet.

geek_kitkat66, Jun 6, 12:40 pm

thanks kitkat66, I have 2 cat5's and both are giving me the same result.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 12:49 pm

Hi all, first of all, thanks for viewing.

I have a PC (win7 pro x64) connected to a Router at home, my IP address from the provider is static, and these settings have been set. With Modem>Router>PC the internet is fine.

When I take away the Router, and have Modem>Computer. The internet does not work.

I have entered in the IP addresses correctly multiple times. I even ctrl+c and ctrl+v them from router settings page to IPv4 settings just to make sure. Doesn't work.

I have reset, uninstalled, rolled back, updated the network card twice and nothing, restarted the pc & modem many times.

I have reset the WINS socket (like here: http://windows7themes.net/repair-reset-winsock-windows-7.html)

When I plug my router back into the modem, and then connect the PC to the router. Internet works.

I have tested this with my laptop (windows 7 pro 32bit) and entered the ip settings as I did for the desktop PC, and internet works. (laptop > modem)

What else can I say! I have been to the manufacturers website and updated the driver from there, no good.

If you have any questions or opinions on what I should do, please do say.

P.S. I did ring the telstra clear help desk and not surprisingly got nowhere.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 6:30 pm

Proxy!

geek_lostdude, Jun 6, 6:40 pm

and these mysterious modem and router have model names!

geek_gibler, Jun 6, 6:40 pm

No proxy has been set, I checked it anyway, and no proxy has been set.

I'm totally stumped on this one, very embarrassing for a networking major it student.

the modem is a standard telstra clear motorolla sb5101.

the router doesn't really matter, since the problem is when the router is taken out of the equation but it is d-link dir-615

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 6:43 pm

ipv6. dns server.

I assume you aren't using the usb on the modem.!

geek_gibler, Jun 6, 6:46 pm

I am using the ethernet connection from modem to pc.

I have just checked the ipv6 ip/dns settings and they are on automatic. I don't suspect DNS is the problem because I cannot even ping an address such as 8.8.8.8 (google dns) or my default gateway. Thanks for the help so far though.

I have hirens boot cd and will load mini linux and attempt to configure the ip settings. Thanks for the idea. back in 5

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 6:49 pm

well. it doesn't appear to be working in mini linux or mini xp.

however once again I must say that this pc works when connected to the internet through the router. (which I also setup, so I am highly doubting pebkac)

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 7:05 pm

lol, ok. So have you tried USB as gibler hinted at!

geek_lostdude, Jun 6, 7:08 pm

I wonder if the modem has any rules based on ethernet address.!

.reset modem to factory default. see if there are firmware updates.

geek_gibler, Jun 6, 7:09 pm

There is no reset button anywhere on the modem. I pulled the plug for 5min earlier and that didn't help. I don't have the cable to use the USB connection from the modem.

Well gibler I was thinking that myself, so when I went into the router last time I cloned my PC's MAC address onto the router and rebooted.

Still in the same problem after that too.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 6, 7:12 pm

What are you trying to achieve!

You should be using a router anyway as it provides you with a certain degree of protection that you don't get with a direct internet connection.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 7, 11:54 am

there will be - look harder it's often inside a VERy small hole.

geek_drcspy, Jun 7, 11:57 am

I want to take the router away because I need it for my laptop somewhere else, but I don't want to leave my partner with no internet on the desktop.

I can safely say that there is no RESET hole/button/switch/etc on the Motorola Surfboard SB5101 Cable Modem. < Provided by TelstraClear

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 7, 12:19 pm

I still have this inexplicable question, Why will the *Desktop work behind NAT, not with a Direct Connection to the cable modem.

When my laptop will work in either scenario. (IP/DG/DNS checked many times)

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 7, 12:23 pm

thanks kitkat66, I have 2 cat5's and both are giving me the same result.

geek_dondonsplace, Jun 7, 12:49 pm