Android GPS question pls help?

hey guys got a phone htc desire hd running 2.2.1 android and got iGo GPS installed.
It takes very very long to find a gps signal lock or sometimes it never does. I know its working because sometimes once in a blue moon I get gps signal after maybe 5minutes but most times it just keep saying looking for signal.

Any of you guys get similar problem? My old nokia n95, n95 8gb and n86 were much much faster when comes to gps :(

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:10 pm

I get GPS lock on my Desire in less than 10 seconds usually. Download an app called GPS test (or something similar) and see how long it takes.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 8, 9:16 pm

I'm doing it now will let you know soon thanks :) :)

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:23 pm

Nothng is happening yet :( says GPS on with a yellow circle beside it, and accuracy 0.0 feet and In view 0, In Use: 0.

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:26 pm

Does your phone have a clear view of the sky? GPS won't work inside.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 8, 9:26 pm

oops yes true I was just trying it by standing beside window coz its freezing otuside lol
worked rightaway when I got outside, found around 8Inview and 8InUse.

I closed gps test and opened iGo but it didn't find any gps :(
If you don't mind me asking what app do you use?

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:34 pm

Probably Google Maps/Nav like the rest of us.

To get quick location data you want to have a data connection and have wifi on (doesn't need to be connected to an AP if you have a working data connection over the mobile network)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 8, 9:42 pm

I have found by leaving the GPS on all the time it locks faster and doesn't seem to drain the battery. Bluetooth is the killer.

geek_chito, Jun 8, 9:47 pm

Tried with google maps, it just says "waiting for location" ...then says "your location is temporary unavailable"

But isn't it better to use an app which doesn't rely on internet? Like for example you go on a roadtrip, where there is no internet, what wouldyou do with google maps?

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:51 pm

really? I thought gps is more of a killer battery drainer..

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:51 pm

The GPS radio is only active when an app is using it (you'll see a symbol in the notification bar, on Sense its cross-hair like design).Its safe to leave it switched on all the time unless you have an app running that constantly requests location data

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 8, 9:55 pm

thanks any idea why maps is not getting a gps lock?

geek_73040, Jun 8, 9:58 pm

No I prefer to use Google maps the whole time unless I know I'll be somewhere without network access.

Anyway summary is to make sure you have a data connection, switch on wifi and make sure you have a clear view of the sky-that'll give the quickest lock.

Applies to all smart phones, not just Android powered models

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 8, 10:01 pm

I just went outside, wifi was on, made sure clear view of sky but maps just kept saying "waiting for location". But at same time gps test referred by suicidemonkey, found gps signals rightaway.

geek_73040, Jun 8, 10:04 pm

Really? I leave bluetooth on all the time and I use it for music in my car, and It never uses more than 2% of my total battery each day.. but if I leave GPS on, I get significantly less battery life.

I guess i'm using a custom ROM though.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 8, 10:05 pm

Depends on how efficient the radios are on your particular phone.On my aging handset wifi is the biggest killer due to a poor wifi radio implementation.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 8, 10:07 pm

Yeah, good point.. I sometimes forget that my Desire isn't the only Android phone :P

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 8, 10:08 pm

Yes and yes, Google maps shows my street etc if I zoom in I can see everything very clear. I updated it recently.
This is very frustrating, anyways can't go out tonight anymore, I'll try again tomorrow. Bedtime now. Hopefully you guys will be here tomorrow as well.
thansk :)

geek_73040, Jun 8, 10:09 pm

well i have a desire hd which is kindof new phone so that shouldn't be a problem I hope.

geek_73040, Jun 8, 10:09 pm

Theres a update to 2.3.3 available now. Settings > About phone > Software updates

geek_cessna3, Jun 8, 10:45 pm

Tried it and said software up to date :(
Are you sure OTA update for desire hd is out? Or only for people with custom rom? thanks.

geek_73040, Jun 9, 2:30 pm

My desire HD updated last week OTA. I bought it online from the UK last year & doesn't have a custom rom.

geek_cessna3, Jun 9, 8:42 pm

Does your phone have a clear view of the sky! GPS won't work inside.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 9, 9:26 pm

Probably Google Maps/Nav like the rest of us.

To get quick location data you want to have a data connection and have wifi on (doesn't need to be connected to an AP if you have a working data connection over the mobile network)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 9:42 pm

I have found by leaving the GPS on all the time it locks faster and doesn't seem to drain the battery. Bluetooth is the killer.

geek_chito, Jun 9, 9:47 pm

The GPS radio is only active when an app is using it (you'll see a symbol in the notification bar, on Sense its cross-hair like design).Its safe to leave it switched on all the time unless you have an app running that constantly requests location data

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 9:55 pm

No I prefer to use Google maps the whole time unless I know I'll be somewhere without network access.

Anyway summary is to make sure you have a data connection, switch on wifi and make sure you have a clear view of the sky-that'll give the quickest lock.

Applies to all smart phones, not just Android powered models

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 10:01 pm

That points to a software issue rather than hardware which is good I guess.

Rebooted phone! Google maps up to date!

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 9, 10:05 pm

Yeah, good point. I sometimes forget that my Desire isn't the only Android phone :P

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 9, 10:08 pm

Theres a update to 2.3.3 available now. Settings > About phone > Software updates

geek_cessna3, Jun 9, 10:45 pm

My desire HD updated last week OTA. I bought it online from the UK last year & doesn't have a custom rom.

geek_cessna3, Jun 10, 8:42 pm

seems a connection between the software IGO a and the hardware,since the Gps receiver work well in test mod...

geek_guest, Jul 17, 10:54 am

Hey i need help deciding a coulpe of spots on my rosterI have a open WR spot and a flex spot open,my choices areMiles Austin vs. seattleAnotnio Brown vs. jetsKevin Smith vs. san franciscoMalcom floyd vs. titansDexter McCluster vs. Bills

geek_guest, Aug 4, 4:42 am