Advice on buying a 2nd hand laptop?

I want to buy a 2nd hand lap top for TM, Face book, and pictures off my camera and surfing the net, what things would i need to know about buying 2nd hand etc, i know nothing about buying except, the one hubby has for work and its a toshiba and we like it!!

geek_feebee10, Jun 9, 1:11 pm

Buy new, you get a warranty, working battery and generally a better machine.

Even a very entry level new laptop like the $599 Compaq Dick Smith is selling will be fine (although I'd tend to stretch to the $699 Toshiba model)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 1:14 pm

does it HAVE to be a laptop ? they're more expensive than a desktop to buy and MUCH more expensive to fix really their only advantage is portability..........

2nd hand.........watch for overheating/battery life/screen damage/missing keys etc (signs of not having been looked after)...........

personally I'd suggest that unless you really know wht your'e doing DON'T buy a 2nd hand laptop

geek_drcspy, Jun 9, 1:17 pm

get a netbook new they're as little as about $400...............DO NOT buy one of the 7" netbooks advertised here with 128Mb ram and a 300Mhz cpu - these are pretty much TOYS and you would be very dissapointed......

geek_drcspy, Jun 9, 1:18 pm

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 9, 1:31 pm

I want to buy a 2nd hand lap top for TM, Face book, and pictures off my camera and surfing the net, what things would i need to know about buying 2nd hand etc, i know nothing about buying except, the one hubby has for work and its a toshiba and we like it!

geek_feebee10, Jun 10, 1:11 pm

Buy new, you get a warranty, working battery and generally a better machine.

Even a very entry level new laptop like the $599 Compaq Dick Smith is selling will be fine (although I'd tend to stretch to the $699 Toshiba model)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 1:14 pm

does it HAVE to be a laptop ! they're more expensive than a desktop to buy and MUCH more expensive to fix really their only advantage is portability.

2nd hand.watch for overheating/battery life/screen damage/missing keys etc (signs of not having been looked after).

personally I'd suggest that unless you really know wht your'e doing DON'T buy a 2nd hand laptop

geek_drcspy, Jun 10, 1:17 pm

get a netbook new they're as little as about $400.DO NOT buy one of the 7" netbooks advertised here with 128Mb ram and a 300Mhz cpu - these are pretty much TOYS and you would be very dissapointed.

geek_drcspy, Jun 10, 1:18 pm