How to internet tether a 3g iphone to a laptop??

Got told it can't be done on a 3g version iOS 4.2.1 for some reason, does anybody know any different? I don't have the tethering option on my phone to turn it on, is there an app i can download to get it?

geek_zahna, Jun 9, 9:21 pm

As far as I'm aware you can't do it via wifi.

You should be able to do USB tethering though, maybe you need the USB cable connected and iTunes open for the option to show?

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 9, 10:55 pm

Thanks, yes i have got the cable connected & have tried going through all the settings with iTunes, but the problems on my phone as i need to turn the tethering on 1st for it to work but i don't have that option on my phone

geek_zahna, Jun 10, 9:36 am

Reposting from your thread in General:

It can't tether cuz with 4.2.1 Apple made some sort of change that only affects the 3G - you can only tether with supported service providers, and Vodafone is the only supported service provider in New Zealand - they're the only ones who sell iPhones.

Options if you want to tether with Telecom include jailbreaking your phone or restoring it to an older version of iOS.

As you say your phone is already jailbroken I'd suggest getting a third party tethering app. Here's a promising looking result from Google (costs $10 though):

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/02/tethering-iphone-mywi-jailbreak-iphone-app.html

You should probably ring Telecom up and let them know the situation so they don't go giving other people bad information!

geek_kellswastaken, Jun 10, 9:56 am

geek_kellswastaken, Jun 10, 9:59 am

Pretty sure Apple has pulled all tethering apps from the App store

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 10:11 am

They are jailbreak apps, not App Store apps.

geek_kellswastaken, Jun 10, 10:12 am

Sorry didn't read your post properly.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 10:16 am

Thanks you kellswastaken! knew there would b a smart person out there that could help, & yes I have rung telecom several times & told them to sort there shit out! :)

geek_zahna, Jun 10, 10:51 am

That does not apply in NZ, you can teather an un-jailbroken phone onTelecom, I am running 4.3.3 on an iPhone 4
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/pyro_sniper2002/photo.png

My guess is you don't have the APN settings in for teathering. Go settings/general/network/cell data network and make sure internet teathering at the bottom says internet.telecom.co.nz in the apn, no username no password.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 10, 4:19 pm

Got told it can't be done on a 3g version iOS 4.2.1 for some reason, does anybody know any different! I don't have the tethering option on my phone to turn it on, is there an app i can download to get it!

geek_zahna, Jun 10, 9:21 pm

As far as I'm aware you can't do it via wifi.

You should be able to do USB tethering though, maybe you need the USB cable connected and iTunes open for the option to show!

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 10, 10:55 pm

Thanks, yes i have got the cable connected & have tried going through all the settings with iTunes, but the problems on my phone as i need to turn the tethering on 1st for it to work but i don't have that option on my phone

geek_zahna, Jun 11, 9:36 am

Reposting from your thread in General:

It can't tether cuz with 4.2.1 Apple made some sort of change that only affects the 3G - you can only tether with supported service providers, and Vodafone is the only supported service provider in New Zealand - they're the only ones who sell iPhones.

Options if you want to tether with Telecom include jailbreaking your phone or restoring it to an older version of iOS.

As you say your phone is already jailbroken I'd suggest getting a third party tethering app. Here's a promising looking result from Google (costs $10 though):

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/02/tethering-iphone-mywi-jailbreak-iphone-app.html

You should probably ring Telecom up and let them know the situation so they don't go giving other people bad information!

geek_kellswastaken, Jun 11, 9:56 am

Sorry didn't read your post properly.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 11, 10:16 am

That does not apply in NZ, you can teather an un-jailbroken phone onTelecom, I am running 4.3.3 on an iPhone 4
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/pyro_sniper2002/photo.png

My guess is you don't have the APN settings in for teathering. Go settings/general/network/cell data network and make sure internet teathering at the bottom says internet.telecom.co.nz in the apn, no username no password.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 11, 4:19 pm

4.2.1 breaks tethering on unsupported carriers on iPhone 3G only, I had to downgrade to 4.1 to tether on Telecom's XT network. 4.2.1 or later firmware on the 3GS or newer does not appear to suffer from the same limitation. A bit of a pain.

geek_guest, Jan 15, 4:56 pm