Help decide HTC or Samsung Android

Samsung Galaxy S2 - $1000
HTC Desire HD - $600

Could someone help me make up my mind please? Googled it and s2 is the best phone but is it worth almost twice as an htc?
I mainly use it for wifi, internet 3g, checking mails on the go, flash games, videos, lots of music.
cheers guys!!!

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 12:54 pm

HTC desire HD is a bit old now isn't it?

geek_kane199, Jun 14, 12:59 pm

Definitely the samsung, had a chance to review it and OMG... I am lost for words. I wont bother getting the next iPhone as an upgrade, im going with the samsung =D

geek_g-tech, Jun 14, 1:05 pm

Yes definitely old compared to S2 and I was thinking same thing. But does the dual core and additional ghz noticeable in everyday smart phone use?

I reckon aesthetically htc wins over samsung, I like massive viewable screen area on htc. But I heard its battery life is very bad. But specswise Samsungs is miles ahead than desire hd imo.

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 1:11 pm

Don't get the Desire HD for these reasons:
Poor quality screen
Small capacity battery
Build quality issues

The newer Desire S and Incredible S solve all those issues but have smaller screens.

If you want a real SGSII competitor from HTC look at the Sensation, its as powerful as the SGSII but has a larger QHD screen (an SLCD so its decent quality)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 1:41 pm

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 1:46 pm

Sweet, isn't s2 a bit old as well? Would you say galaxy s2 will be as good as it is now for next 6months? S2 looks like the best phone in market but any phones coming out in near future which might be a better buy?

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 7:42 pm

I don't think so, currently the SGSII is king of the Android phones.

The HTC Sensation is a very good choice too, it even has some advantages like a higher resolution screen and slightly longer battery life but the software lets it down a bit

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 8:01 pm

How does the software let it down? Sense is pretty well proven to be a very decent UI. I haven't really read the review.. probably should.

Anyway.. Dunno if i'd go for the Samsung over the Sensation. The Galaxy S feels so plasticy and cheap whereas HTCs phones always feel extremely solid.

Can't deny that the Galaxy S II is an amazing phone though. The benchmark scores are ridiculous.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 14, 8:11 pm

Why not opt for the LG p990? Far superior to the Desire HD but just a fraction slower than the galaxy SII (well the new 1200Mhz version) and in the same price bracket as the Desire HD.

Here's a comparison between the (original) SII and the Optimus 2X:
http://www.inspiredgeek.com/2011/03/13/samsung-galaxy-sii-s2-exynos-4210-vs-tegra-2-which-version-will-be-better/

geek_lostdude, Jun 14, 8:52 pm

Be careful what version you get here, the LG skinning (if present) can pretty much ruin the experience: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/lg-optimus-2x-review/

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 10:34 pm

I heard the Desire HD hasvery poor battery life

geek_ctnz, Jun 14, 10:41 pm

Ah yeah I read that Sense slowed it down a bit. I had the same problem with my Desire.
I hoped the Sensation would be better with the extra processing power, but I guess not. You pay the price for features I suppose.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 14, 10:45 pm

Well it is supposed to be very very snappy its just that the Samsung is better again and if you use both you'd notice the difference.If you only used the Sensation I doubt you'd ever be disappointed.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 10:49 pm

Meh, I love my HTC Desire Z. Had a chance to play around with Iphone (Hated it), Samsung Galaxy S2 (cool, but not for me), HTC Desire Z (fell in love with it straight away). Next one I i'll be going for HTC EVO 3D.It's not really up to people what is best etc... it's up to you. Depends what you use your phone for, and so on.My Desire Z fulfills all my wishes and desires - LOL. It's rooted with the MexDroidMod MeXperia and as fast as it could be, being overclocked as well.As i said, have a play around with all the phones that you are having hard time to choose between, and see which one is for you.IT'S A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE, NOT SOMEBODY ELSE'S.

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 10:57 pm

Root the Desire, install a custom sensless rom on it, flash it with the kernel for overclocking it, and you're sweet. :)))After that it becomes a mini computer with all the functions you want on it :D

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 10:58 pm

Just went to club thing and had a quick play around with sensation and galaxy s2. Imo galaxy s2 UI is a bit too 'edgy' and 'sharp' in places compared to htc smooth ones. But also unbelievably light weight!

Only if htc had samsung specs or galaxy s2 had htc's aesthetics. Looking at shops I"m kindof sold on either galaxy s2 or htc sensation. Do you think its possible to fully convert to htc Sense UI?

But then thinking again desire hd is very very nice and fits all my boxes for the price!

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:00 pm

The Z is actually a really good choice if you like a physical keyboard.I think its a much better phone than the HD.

Be aware newer HTCs like the Desire S, Incredible S and Sensation have locked bootloaders so you won't be able to flash a custom ROM.HTC has said they will unlock the bootloader on the Sensation (and presumably the other devices) but haven't one so yet.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 11:02 pm

Yep, done all that with my Desire :)

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 14, 11:03 pm

As above I wouldn't go for the Desire HD, there are much better HTC choices available.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 11:04 pm

I would be very tempted to buy the phone I'm craving for which is desire hd, and root it, but doesn't rooting a phone void warranty?

I use the phone for basic calling, text, music, playing videos, games(flash ones such as angry birds etc), internet 3G and wifi a lot, GPS is a must, and decent camera.

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:05 pm

Bought my Z in Germany a month ago. It had a locked bootloader. 6 mins of googling, 10 mins later my bootloader is unlocked, 15 mins later found my ROM of choise, and no regrets so far :D I also hate paying for apps, and prefer the cracked ones, but not this time. My phone is loaded with paid apps, and no regrets at all, it's my mini computer now that does everything i need it to.I'd recommend Z , but as i mentioned above, it's a personal preferance. :))

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:05 pm

Well, yes it does. But you can always unroot the phone if you want to take it back to the shop for some reason :DI almost bricked my phone yesterday by flashing clockworkmod a little too old for it, and Z didn't like it ... took me around 5 hours to get it running again :))) but, it's worth it :) awesome phone, with awesome features :D and the hell with Sense, my VTL launcher has much more options for customizing the phone ... :)

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:08 pm

Gotta love the Desire lol :D i reckong it has got its name for a reason :D LMAOI am now a mod freak, customizing everything i bloody can on it :D lol

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:09 pm

Seriously can't see what so good in sense, anyway.Customization is limited, comparing to some other launchers on other roms, etc..Stock OS has too much bloatware preinstalled, meh. ROOT all the way!! :)

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:11 pm

and i think somebody mentioned the poor battery life? Root the phone, Install custom ROM (will be best for ya anyaway), calibrate the battery, and you're away.Getting around 30 hours on my Z with Med to Heavy Usage (games, inet, sms, calls)

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:15 pm

Ah ok if you strongly insist then maybe shouldn't go for hd, what other ones are there in the same price bracket, 4.3" screen without any physical buttons? I just like the look of dhd. I'm sold on s2 or desire hd. Not the sensation because in my opinion sensation is bit of a letdown from htc, they released sensation to be a contender for S2 but it has same ram as desire hd and the still didn't include internal storage..

Also what puzzles me is galaxy s2 is smaller in height, they both have same 4.3" viewable screen but for some reason it looks like sensation's viewable area fills the whole screen unlike s2 which has a bar at top and bottom and a rectangular viewing area...

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:19 pm

What's wrong the HTC EVO? )) another awesome phone.

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:21 pm

that sounds good, just say if I brick it, does it mean its totally screwed and irreversible? just wanted to know how much of a risk is it to root the phone!!

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:22 pm

Evo is not for sale in nz?

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:23 pm

plus Samsung Galaxy S2 has that plasticky cheap feeling to it. Too light, too plastic. :)))but up to ya man, check the HTC EVO .. and if you find HTC EVO 3D somewhere, i'd go for that instead .. not too sure whether it's in NZ or not yet though ...

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:24 pm

There isn't another alternative with the 4.3" screen.If the large screen is what you value above battery life, screen quality and build quality then go for it just be aware of the tradeoffs

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 11:26 pm

Nah, you can recover :)) Google is your help (especially XDA FORUM).Rooting the phone is "risky" but not that much of a risk at all, unless you decide to experiment with older versions of CWM to install SOME custom ROMS, etc... :))) you'll get used to it :)I was in love with stock OS and SENSE, until i tried the MeXdroidMod MeXperia - much better choice, much more customization to be done, etc... :)))

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:26 pm

not quiet sure, haven't looked into it at all, i am just enjoying the current phone and waiting for evo 3d :D

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:27 pm

Evo is a CDMA phone for Sprint USA.Its very similar to the Desire HD anyway and shares all its flaws.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 11:27 pm

one more thing about HTC.My Z has been droped SO MANY times, you'd be surprised it's still working. But there is not a SINGLE SCRATCH on the screen (and yep, it's been droped screen down on the gravel, road, floor, etc.. ) LOL .... Quality is awesome.

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:28 pm

My bad, looked different on the video :D lol )) N/M :)))

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:29 pm

Sounds like HTC G2 (which is Desire Z) :D T2 mobile :D

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:30 pm

Yea I think I'm getting the picture now. I do not value just a large screen over all that you mentioned! I was of the impression that htc's build quality is rather very good and better than samsung? Not sure but galaxy definitely handsdown better phone on paper, would be nice to hear opinion from someone with firsthand experience owning galaxy s2.

Also noticed quite a few people are selling the Galaxy S2 on trademe after having just for a week or less.

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:35 pm

Play around with the phones in the shop, maybe?See which one YOU like better.Have a feel of both of them. I like the "heavy" feeling of HTC , and absolutely hate the pastic, cheapish feeling of some of the phones on the market. But each to their own.If you have mates with either of the those phones, ask them to have a look, fiddle around a bit, and you'll see quiet soon which one is for you. That's your best bet.

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:38 pm

Already had a quick play around with s2 and sensation but it was way too quick, didn't want to give mates a big head so gave it back after quick look. I don't mind the light weight, but the way sensation's screen occupies the whole screen and how the samsung's viewable area is restricted by a big rectangualar bar on top looks a little like iphone4 or bit non-smooth. Nevertheless loading angry birds and switching between internet on both phones took same time as well.

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:42 pm

In general build is still good on the DHD, just not as good as the new three (that being the Desire S, Incredible S and Sensation)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 14, 11:42 pm

Give your mates big head, just because you looked at their phone? LOL .. some mates you have ))) hmm.Either way, i wouldn't pay too much to the whole screen thing, as i said you can root the hell out of either of those phones and fully customize everything (yes, screen (or 7 screens with HTC) as well). YOU can make them look like what ever you want them to look like :)Once you get the phone , got to XDA FORUM and see the rooting guide ))) it will be easier for you, as it is a little more complicated for Desire Z, no idea why, but that's the way it is :D lol

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:47 pm

Sweet thanks for your help mate, if you were in my shoes, you reckon its worth it to pay almost twice for galaxy s2 over a desire hd? (provided i can live with build quality but not a huge margin on battery and screen quality)

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:48 pm

cne_merchant - yea that 7 screen thing was very cool, does samsung not have that feature?

geek_roryton, Jun 14, 11:51 pm

Not quiet sure. I didn't play long enough with samsung - realized pretty quick it wasn't for me. Yet played around with Z for less than a min, and still IS my fav. phone :D lol .... Also, pinch thingy is good (zoom in, zoom out) etc...

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 14, 11:54 pm

Sweet after reading reviews, in almost all of them Galaxy comes out on top mainly due to techy stuff, but I think I might be getting Sensation due to:

1. Looks more stylish than a rectangular bar
2. Sense UI
3. Read that resolution of S2 is much lower

But if I can get similar UI in a galaxy s2 I'll go for that. Googled a bit and cannot find anywhere a straight replacement for touchwiz. Could anyone confirm that atleast with a custom rom on S2 I could get similar UI experience to that of a sense?

geek_roryton, Jun 15, 12:12 am

Google it, there will be plenty of reviews and screenshots.I for one thought touchwiz wasn't up to Sense standards. But as i said, there are other launchers for custom roms that much more options to customize your phone than sense.. :)

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 15, 12:15 am

Does that mean if I get a galaxy, I could get the UI to be better than Sense? If yes then galaxy here I come!
Also the icons, fonts, screen, looked much nicer and smoother on sensation than the S2.

geek_roryton, Jun 15, 12:20 am

Possibly, but browse online, see what ROMs are available for galaxy, what owners say, etc... research a bit :)) than you'll be able to make a decision that you shouldn't regret any time soon :)

geek_cne_merchant, Jun 15, 12:48 am