Can't access internet with MSE

I installed Microsoft Security Essentials yesterday and now this morning I haven't been able to load any web pages or download emails.

I tried turning off the MSE real-time protection and it worked.

What could be going on here and how should I resolve it?

geek_sam_myinbox, Jun 29, 9:37 am

never heard of that one before .......do you have any other antivirus etc programs installed ?

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 9:50 am

Well I wouldn't say it's MSE. Do you have Malwarebytes anti malware ?? if so run it. Are all your lights on, (on the modem) etc

geek_swivel, Jun 29, 9:50 am

from what site did you download mse ?

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 9:52 am

I did have Norton installed but I've since uninstalled that.
It can't be the router/modem as I have a laptop here working fine.

I use wireless and the connection is connected and strong.

I don't have Malwarebytes.

It is an odd problem isn't it. Also, if I load a site,such as Facebook and turn protection on, I can still load other pages on that domain, but not any new websites. It's like some sort of filtering problem...

geek_sam_myinbox, Jun 29, 9:55 am

Microsoft.com

geek_sam_myinbox, Jun 29, 9:55 am

did you use the norton removal tool to uninstall norton or just 'programs and features' (vista/win7) or 'add remove programs' (xp)

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 9:57 am

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/-
english_us_canada/removal_tool-
s/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 9:58 am

arrgghhh bloody tm screwing with links again...........take out the - things in that link for it to work.....(not the _)

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 9:59 am

I used the Norton unistall option and chose to remove all settings. Thanks drcspy I'll give that app a go...

geek_sam_myinbox, Jun 29, 10:02 am

Well well well, it worked. Thank you very much! :)

geek_sam_myinbox, Jun 29, 10:09 am

norton isbitch of a program and it'll leave crap all over your system if it's not uninstalled correctly.........you MAY have to INSTALL norton again in order to correctly run the uninstaller and remove ALL the rubbish....

geek_drcspy, Jun 29, 10:09 am