Advice re VPN plese.

VPNforhome computer.
any experiences, wisdom ?

regards,Bruce.

geek_brucie44, Jul 11, 11:09 pm

Use it if you must , BUT
have a backup of your data as well somewhere else

geek_max-e-mim, Jul 11, 11:48 pm

What do you mean max? a VPN is a great idea if you are at all worried about the new guilt on accusation law when it starts in september.

geek_richms, Jul 11, 11:50 pm

I am not worried, its just of late seen many blade servers fail and take out backup access

geek_max-e-mim, Jul 11, 11:54 pm

thanksMax and Rich
do any use it"for privacy reasons"

what doyou recommend?

geek_brucie44, Jul 11, 11:54 pm

I dont use VPN at all
My backup is kept off site, no worries about privacy , just need to know it is accessable at all times

geek_max-e-mim, Jul 11, 11:56 pm

my interestsdo not lay in back ups.

cheers

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 12:03 am

U R welcome
look into Encryption programs before you upload files :-)

geek_max-e-mim, Jul 12, 12:10 am

What are you wanting to do with VPN?

geek_jcmp21, Jul 12, 12:13 am

not be threatened by the new piracy laws if I happen to download something that is copyright.

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 12:19 am

a "VPN" is a link between two private networks typically over a public network such as the internet, it uses encryption to keep the data transferred over the link private.
I'm not sure how this would be useful for a pirate, normally a VPN tunnel is private with a pre-shared key between sites, if you connect to a "public" vpn it defeats the purpose, if it is public then there is no privacy, and if keys are publicly available then anyone can decrypt the traffic over the link, so you are basically taking the "P" out of VPN.

More importantly, if you are trying to avoid detection for downloading stuff, you should be using transport encryption, and IP Block-lists, how effective these are is debatable though.

geek_damon3, Jul 12, 2:30 am

The OP probably means a VPS (Virtual Private Server).

geek_badcam, Jul 12, 7:37 am

understand difference between VPS & VPN
what I want is advice on VPNand providers of.
Alsowhatbangyou got for your $$.Half speed ?

regardsand thanks to all, Bruce.

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 1:18 pm

Think of it in terms of a building.Normally deliveries arrives through your front door and this means anyone tracking these packages knows you receive them.

Now you decide you want to receive some dodgy packages but don't want people to know they were delivered to you.What you do is dig a tunnel from the basement, under the street and then half way round the world into the basement of another building.

Now you can get packages delivered to this other building, in a dodgy country that doesn't care as long as the money goes through their banks funding their illegal war on their neighbours, and you sneek them down the tunnel into your own building.

geek_d.laidlaw, Jul 12, 1:30 pm

thanksD Laidlaw,that is the way I understand it.
Along with some parcelsmay not be dodgybut want to be private.

so the conclusion is VPN is best solution.?
if soVPN providersandmileage,any wisdom.

regards,Bruce.

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 4:40 pm

You'll be better off with a seedbox. Google it.

geek_lostdude, Jul 12, 9:50 pm

I've heard vpn https and encryption down is the way to go, uncrackable on the fly. No idea how though.

geek_ilottl, Jul 12, 10:04 pm

Hi Lostdude,
understand re seedboxes.
think a bit dearer.
anywhere you would recommend.?

regards,Bruce

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 10:05 pm

VPS. Make your own seedbox/whatever you desire.

geek_badcam, Jul 12, 10:14 pm

sheeeshthat looks like jumping in the deep end

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 11:05 pm

It's not for the faint-hearted. ON second thoughts, perhaps a pre-configured seedbox would be best for yourself.

geek_badcam, Jul 12, 11:10 pm

Sorry, can't help you there as I haven't tried any yet. Try googling some reviews...

geek_lostdude, Jul 12, 11:33 pm

yepbeen looking at them.
any idea where togo,and bang for yourbuck.

regardsBruce.

geek_brucie44, Jul 12, 11:36 pm