Brand New Acer Aspire 5741 - Error message??

Hi I just bought a new laptop yesterday, and I can't seem to install anything on it as it keeps showing an Error 740 message - this applies to Internet security software, and a printer installation CD. Could this be something wrong with the laptop?

geek_meadais, Jul 14, 8:52 am

Are you the Admin or do you just have a std user account

geek_swivel, Jul 14, 9:24 am

well, it the laptop is brand new, then chances are the system image is damaged, so you have to do a system recovery see if that fix the issue. or you can just f8 into safemode and remove the applications thats giving you the error.goodluck.

geek_justlaptops, Jul 14, 10:04 am

Error 740- Requires elevated privilege. Right click apllication exe you are trying to install and "Run as Administrator"

geek_shaneo2, Jul 14, 10:11 am

yeah, I know wht the error problem is, But waiting for OP to answer. Oh and not an image problem JL

geek_swivel, Jul 14, 10:21 am

if you know what the problem is, then thats fine. just thought that a brand new machine shouldnt give you this... lol

geek_justlaptops, Jul 14, 10:25 am

if the user doesn't have admin rights, then installing programs doesn't happen. As you sell Laptops you should have heard about the "User Account Control"

geek_swivel, Jul 14, 10:34 am

Hi sorry for the late reply. I have admin rights and have been using admin account.

geek_meadais, Jul 14, 11:46 am

Using right mouse click on .exe and selecting "run as administrator" should allow you to install the software. If not you may try going into the "user accounts" & selecting "change user account contol settings" then move the slider to the bottom of the scale, click ok and exit. You may need to restart your pc then try re-installing software. After you have either succeeded or failed to install the software go back to the user settings and set back to the default position I.E where the slider was set to before the change. If all fails it may be that justlaptops is on the money.

geek_thegrumpclub, Jul 14, 12:49 pm

I haven't had damaged system image on new laptopsnot saying they don't happen) but I have fixed quite a few clients new latops that they bought with expired trialinstallations of Norton Security suites. I can tell you right now that the errors that caused the new owner to bring it in gave absolutely no clue that it was Norton. Errors messages varied but always were around privileges.Particularly registry access and internet connection,wanside.

geek_shaneo2, Jul 14, 1:24 pm

Hi I just bought a new laptop yesterday, and I can't seem to install anything on it as it keeps showing an Error 740 message - this applies to Internet security software, and a printer installation CD. Could this be something wrong with the laptop!

geek_meadais, Jul 15, 8:52 am

if you know what the problem is, then thats fine. just thought that a brand new machine shouldnt give you this. lol

geek_justlaptops, Jul 15, 10:25 am

I haven't had damaged system image on new laptops (not saying they don't happen btw) but I have fixed quite a few clients new latops that they just bought .Main culprit has been expired trial installations of Norton Security suites. I can tell you right now that the errors that caused the new owner to bring it in gave absolutely no clue that it was Norton. Errors messages varied but always were around privileges.Particularly registry access (installing programs) and/or internet connections

geek_shaneo2, Jul 15, 1:24 pm