Missing network adapter (driver?)

Hi again, had a thread the other day and was going to bump but thought id best start another as its a diff topic....
So ive done a clean install of xp on my mums laptop, everythings worked fine, but im missing some drivers, one of which i need to get online, so i cant get online to update them automatically :( ive gone to the device manager and the device is coming up as "unknown" when i click on properties so i cant find the excact model number....the computer is an Acer Extensa 5230...below is a screen shot of the missing drivers, any help is greatly appreciated :)

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/65/179867565_full.jpg

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 4:27 pm

Ive installed Sp3, to no avail....the model number of the laptop (not sure if its relevant) is MS2231

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 4:38 pm

You are going to need to get the drivers via another Laptop.First question is, how did you do the reinstall? - there would/should be a "Recovery" CD or special recovery Partition on the HDD for that model which would have reinstalled all the correct drivers as part of the reload. That model may have originally shipped with Vista Home so I suspect you will have trouble 'activating' Windows XP because the Certificate of Authenticity underneath will be for Vista and not XP.If you have a full retail version of XP with a Product Key then you should be ok.

You'll need to get the drivers from Acer at this link....

http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers

I would start with the full chipset drivers because that will update multiple devices automatically.Easiest way may be to use a Flash Drive to get at least the Network driver back on, you could use a friends Internet connection and PC to download the files but if you are going to do that, you might find it easiest to download and install all the drivers.Alternatively, if you can at least get the Network connection going then you can connect and have the rest of the drivers updated automatically.I strongly suggest you do NOT connect a 'raw' clean build PC direct to the internet before you install some Antivirus software - some of the malware on the loose will infect within seconds of connecting.Hope this helps.

geek_cookee_nz, Jul 17, 4:43 pm

??How are you posting on here without internet.You need to get online and get at least the network adapter for you model laptop.
If it a 5230 Aspire go here
http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=47

geek_shaneo2, Jul 17, 4:44 pm

Ah, ok SP3 will at least have the Firewall active from the start so not quite so risky but still, be careful.Generally I do the Network first (if you need Internet), then do the Video/Display driver before anything else because the default low resolution display may make viewing some sites quite difficult.

geek_cookee_nz, Jul 17, 4:48 pm

Heya, yep im on my fully functioning laptop, have the original xp disc and product code. Am downloading drivers now, but im just unsure as to the right ones, theres heaps on there for this laptop (having a blonde moment) have antivirus malware spyware set up on usb to will get that cranking if its looking like i can get the internet working....thanks heaps for your reply

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 4:48 pm

Ahhhh next stupid question, network adapter = lan driver on that acer link, and is there one in particular i need or will any of them do? Think im just confusing myself now lol

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 4:50 pm

Good point Shaneo2, OP must be using cellphone or borrowed PC but you are right - access to download the drivers appears resolved.I'd still be inclined personally to suggest the .com.au Acer site mainly because they tend only to list models actually shipped through them or sold in their region and the US sites can have a bewildering range of models that seem similar but not quite what you need.

geek_cookee_nz, Jul 17, 4:51 pm

No - you need the EXACT one - trying to install an incorrect one will just add problems.The "new hardware found" wizard may already be telling you what it's looking for, but not in the order you want.Cancel and keep cancelling until the Ethernet one comes up and note the exact description. It looks like "Broadcom" may be the Cabled LAN port so try downloading that
, but the Wireless could be one of 4 so leave that until you are live.

geek_cookee_nz, Jul 17, 4:56 pm

At risk of sounding completely needy, based on the info ive given and if you have a spare minute could you pretty please link me to the exact one i need :) id be forever gratefull....

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 5:50 pm

get the lan driver then goto windows updates that'll put a fair few of the other missing ones in

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 6:00 pm

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ex_5230.html

get the broadcom lan adaptor driver for xp

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 6:03 pm

cool thanks heaps, its saying 2hours to download? good old slingshot? or massive file?

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 6:50 pm

50mb I think ..........should take minutes unless you have a pretty damn slow connection.................two-
hours on dialup yep

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 6:51 pm

What, seriously? Well i wonder wtf is happening with my connection cos im certainly not on dial up? have found the file anyways, turns out somewhere along this path ive got it. So do i just find a setup file on it once i get it on "the" laptop?

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 6:58 pm

Right mr drcspy, i LOVE you!!! And others that have helped!!! ive now got internet so the rest should be reasonable straight forward to get right? God i dont no how you techs do this for a living, my brain hurts and my anger levels are at an all time high lol! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:04 pm

it's not difficult you have to be logical............now run windows update

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 7:04 pm

I would, if my ethernet cable would play the game! Do i need to download a wireless lan now, to connect? Dont think this cords any good ive just had it hooked to this laptop to try and speed up that download process...god so close....so far....(:

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:09 pm

what do you mean ? i'ts not conneting ?
what if any error message do you get ?

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 7:12 pm

Well down the bottom right in that tray there is the local area connection icon that appeared after i did that install, but when i plug my ethernet cable in, nada....

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:15 pm

And cant connect wirelessly as theres no option to do so in internet connections?

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:22 pm

you need to be more specific ..........what happens when you try to get a webpage ?

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 7:25 pm

Should i be hooked up to the ethernet for this process? When i go to webpage i get the "page cannot be diplayed" message

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:28 pm

what ? of course you need to plug in the ethernet cable otherwise theres no way you'll get a connection !

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 7:31 pm

Yea i figured that, up there i asked if i should download a wireless driver as i think my cable is shagged, sorry for not being clearer :( brain drain! Ill go have a search thru the wire drawer and see if i can find another one to try, stick with me here please lol im so close! Arent i?

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:33 pm

well if the cable is broken what are you currently using on the computer you're using now to communicate here ?

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 7:34 pm

There's some in Computing,Generic USB ethernet is a shot.I had the same problem according to Telecom 'Techs" who admitted they'd all run out of ideas.
Windows Network diagnosis was the network adaptor was stuffed.I downloaded
on another computer to a 'memory stick' & installed that into C Windows,what the hell Windows can sort out what to do with it.Then I went back for the Driver=All sorted.My best computer was in the lab for repairs!!Aghhhhh.

geek_deodar1, Jul 17, 7:35 pm

Wireless on my laptop

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:42 pm

Hi there, not sure what you mean here, are you talking bout my cable? Sorry if ive totally missed the point, been a big arvo with this $hit lol

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 17, 7:44 pm

10/4 so you're wireless then surprise surprise.Was just looking at a Telecom
Thomson Wireless Modem with Network,Key& Pin,DSL& Ethernet cable all
included in the box.Designed in Europe made in China.Free from Xxxxxxxxxxxx.
DSE Might also be giving away hardware adapters? A Linksys Gateway on the
other finger has an adapter built in.Bought one here!

geek_deodar1, Jul 17, 8:14 pm

deo talks in riddles

geek_drcspy, Jul 17, 9:34 pm

Riddle;You will need the "EXTRACT.EXE" which is part of the Windows XP Support
Tools.

Just locate and open the SUPPORT.CAB file (SUPPORT\TOOLS) on the CD and
save the EXTRACT.EXE to the SYSTEM32 folder.
Done this for NTFS

Now you can extract those drivers using --> C:\extract [name of file]

geek_deodar1, Jul 17, 10:33 pm

Not many know that lol any file is extractable from Install CD.Also my teeth were,
got dentures now.I remember using * to list all CD files,extracting the one to
new folder then installing that file in 32 folder,where Windows finds it on boot
and installs it where it goes.This was brought to you by an experimental drug
I'm testing.Pure alcohol doesn't work,just spoils the coffee.

geek_deodar1, Jul 17, 10:42 pm

My name is Craig & I'm from the Microsoft Setup Team
Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

geek_deodar1, Jul 17, 10:57 pm

Hi again.....well ive now got internet working via the ethernet cable, and updated everything BUT, i still have those missing drivers, and right clicking on them and updating, or uninstalling rebooting aint working either, anymore suggestions would be super duper appreciated!

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 18, 12:47 pm

you need to go back here;

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/ex_5230.html

and get the missing ones

geek_drcspy, Jul 18, 12:50 pm

QMI module does not exsist??Is the message i get when trying to install the wireless lan? Would it be a good idea to just install every driver thats available on that acer site (for my laptop of course) just seem to be hitting brick walls all over the show (can i tell you again how much i appreciate your help without sounding like a suck ass?) :)

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 18, 2:10 pm

theres

wireless foxconn broadcom
wireless atheros
wireless ralink

you need to make sure you have the right one

get this :

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

it'll tell you exactly what hardware you have

geek_drcspy, Jul 18, 2:14 pm

Got it sorted, had to manually find where it was stored with the hardware wizard and install it like that, hooray it worked, so am now doing the same with the rest....thanks heaps!! Hopefully this will be it done and dusted

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 18, 2:19 pm

Why in the hell am i getting download speeds of 3.3k/b a sec is my next question!! and thats on my laptop too, the plan i have just adds data blocks so cant be that, makes the process rather painfull to say the very least!

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 18, 2:21 pm

depends on the server at the other end

but go here

www.speedtest.net and run the speedtest (not while you're downloading other stuff tho) and report back with the result

geek_drcspy, Jul 18, 2:37 pm

i just tried downloading one of the wireless drivers and got 172Kb/s

geek_drcspy, Jul 18, 2:39 pm

All sorted now, thanks heaps for your patience drcspy!

geek_mummaslifeline, Jul 19, 7:15 am