Apple Desktop or Store bought PC???

advice please. I want a really good computer but not from a place that you buy seperate parts. Iam thinking of either the Apple Mac Destop or a HP desktop.. Looking in the $2000 to $3500 price range. Please advise on what you guys think is better. I want something that is really awesome. cheers

geek_brooklyn011, Jul 21, 8:07 pm

Go to a real computer store and get them to build you something.Generic desktops (like HPs) sold through chain stores are just disasters.

If you want a Mac then buy directly from Apple.Just be aware you are going to be paying a premium for the nicer design.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 21, 8:09 pm

Apple Mac

geek_reeveopd, Jul 21, 8:12 pm

apple mac 27 inch

geek_lustee32, Jul 21, 8:14 pm

geek_missyone, Jul 21, 8:14 pm

Apple mac +1

geek_btoogood, Jul 21, 8:15 pm

ok. so iam getting the impression you guys like apple.. can i ask what you love about it?? I dont have much computer knowledge but would be keen to know why the apple is so good. (apart from the fact it looks awesome!!)

geek_brooklyn011, Jul 21, 8:17 pm

Sure Apple Macs look nice and OS X is all shiney and pretty and I own a Macbook myself, but you can buy a far more powerful PC for half the price. And Windows 7 is a fantastic OS.

geek_suicidemonkey, Jul 21, 8:26 pm

Thats enough for many people.

They do tend to have pretty good screens and nice build quality, plus you're less likely to run into viruses, trojans and other malware.On the flip side some software is not compatible and the operating system takes a bit of getting used to coming from Windows.

BTW why are you keen to spend $2-3.5k on a system?Thats kind of backwards, you should really figure out what it is you want to do then shop for an appropriate system.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 21, 8:26 pm

Actually, people that like Mac OS are probably in the minority in this forum...

I prefer Macs because I like the OS and design (and as I have iPods, iPads etc I'm also told that iTunes on Windows is a dog). I'm also way more familiar with it now so I just naturally gravitate towards buying Apple products as I need to replace things.There are also specific features/software that I really like, like Time Machine and iPhoto.

Other people prefer Windows.Buy what YOU prefer not what other people tell you to.Go and try one out in a shop before you buy.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jul 21, 8:29 pm

iTunes isn't any worse on Windows than it is on OSX these days.

Anyway you can run Windows on the Mac if need be, but its an extra expense on top of the Macs price

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 21, 8:31 pm

That's a big budget ... iMacs cost between $2000 and $3300* so that would easily fit, though.

*For the pre-configured models. If you max out the most expensive one with SSD and 16GB of RAM etc, it'd top $6k.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jul 21, 8:37 pm

The "you can get a more powerful machine for x cost" is a bit tired now considering that ALL computers you can buy (except ironically shitty cheap PCs) are grunty.

My advice is get a mac, but hey, I'm just some guy on the net. *shrug*

geek_-mung-, Jul 21, 9:48 pm

The point is you can buy something acceptably grunty for $1100 or so or spend close to double that on the cheapest iMac.Either way you'll end up with a system that does exactly the same thing.

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 21, 9:51 pm

Agree - it comes down to 2 things IMHO - if a user likes the look and feel of the Mac experience (and has a little more money to invest) and what programs they need to use.

If it is just for Web and Email and Word and Excel (or equivalents) then any mid level PC running Win7 or Linux will be fine.

There have been a few people on these MB's who WANT a Mac but can't due to specific programs not running natively on a Mac (without the added $ of a copy of Win anyhow).

As other people have stated - go to a shop and try a Mac. I agree with them also that you are better off (if going PC) to get one built for you. However the next problem is getting one built PROPERLY with a nice case and so on. (Hey - we all like nice looking things!) :)

geek_groovebox, Jul 21, 11:08 pm

Only one answer. Go into a store and try them out. Some people don't like the mac interface, some people don't like the windows interface.
The mac wins in terms of having less cables and being overall a tidier setup on your desk, as it is all in one. They are also pretty good value. Make sure it has thunderbolt.

geek_mattnzw, Jul 21, 11:33 pm

Personally I would get an iMac but before you go out and get a 27" one try one out because in reality they are damn massive. Do you have the space? Do you need the extra working space on the screen? If yes then go for it!!!

I feel that Apple computers have a longer useful life than what windows based computers do and that is backed up from my personal experiences. The household laptop is a macbook which is 4 years old now. It was close to a base model and only cost $2200 at the time. It still runs 2gb ram and a 160gb hard drive but desktop performance is great and my much newer core i5 desktop mac doesnt feel that much faster for general use like web browsing, itunes, MS Office etc but of course when number crunching comes into it then yea it will blow the macbook out of the water. The macbook still feels like a new laptop when you use it and it functions great. It will probably last another couple of years before it gets replaced by a new model.

Having a laptop last 4+ years is pretty good these days, most windows laptops of that age that I use feel knackered, the batteries dont work, fans are koozed and modern windows apps don't seem to like the lack of processing power in them. Yes I recommend getting a mac, especially if you aren't the type to go replace computers for the sake of having the latest and greatest.

geek_morrisman1, Jul 22, 12:08 am

That is your perception but I doubt you can back it up with any type of real objective data.Plenty of us are still using 4+ year old Windows machines too without any issues even if we have had to do the odd upgrade or battery replacement.

I actually have one of the very first XP laptops from 2002 and its still usable with modern software - I doubt you could say the same of a G3 iBook.

Also you got very lucky with that battery - most will be toast by now and in newer models they are not even user replaceable.I've seen this exact thing happen multiple times: http://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+swollen+battery&hl=en&safe=on&prmd=ivnsfd&source=lnms&tbm=isch&biw=1680&bih=926

geek_vtecintegra, Jul 22, 12:20 am

Meh I've seen many a macbook pro that are exactly the same. The white macbooks look has though they have been through a war. Batteries go from supposedly fully charged to flat in about 30 minutes. Keys all worn. Trackpads stuffed.

geek_gibler, Jul 22, 12:41 am

Personally I would never ever buy a mac. I use apple for my mp3 player. Nothing else.
I appreciate the freedom that comes with my own windows/ Linux based computers. I like that I can easily replace and change components with whatever I choose and run whatever software I please. And I can have a system that is compatible with pretty much everything.

Apple locks you into a little razor blade lined propitiatory box ,where there is only Apples way or no way. Even something simple like connecting too your TV will likely require some (damn expensive) propriety Apple adapter. They are fine for people who want too pay a premium for something silver and shiny too write emails. They are also unrivaled in the creative arts arena. When it comes too graphic design and audio engineering, Mac is king.
If your an audio engineer, photo retoucher or a receptionist with an interior design fetish I recommend a Mac. If your anyone else I recommend a PC.

What do you want your computer too do? $2500 is a huge budget for a basic computer. Even for a Mac, unless your gunning for a Mac Pro its a huge budget. For a decent general use PC there is no reason to spend over $1k. Maybe 1.5k for a Mac. You only need more than that if you really need power for gaming (not on a Mac) or something serious. Also avoid ACERs and HP like the plague. Go too a real computer shop, not Harvey Norman.

geek_oclaf, Jul 22, 1:19 am

Which includes Mac OS X, it is linux's brother and has the same blood running through its veins. iOS could be regarded as a 'walled garden' but OSX certainly is not.

geek_morrisman1, Jul 22, 8:44 am

I would go for Windows. I have 3gb Ram, 500gb hard disk dual core 2.5Ghz processor, full sized keyboard and 17" screen, running Windows Vista, and 7 (only installed 7 last year). I have more value for money it would appear because my lap top only cost $1600 compared to $2200. It's about four years old coming up in Sept.

But hey, if you've got money to throw around, why not get a Mac? I still don't see the difference at all now, aside from the OS, they're using the same chips etc, aren't they?

geek_jana.f.hayes, Jul 22, 9:17 am

Why spend so much ? you wold feta kick ass pc for $2000 .what do ypu want to use it for?

geek_drcspy, Jul 22, 9:39 am

You have stated before that you haven't used a Mac. How can you judge if you haven't used one?

I have computers running Windows XP & 7, Linux Mint 10 & Puppy, Chromium OS, OS X Snow Leopard & Lion. I can honestly say that without a doubt Mac is by far my favourite and the next computer I buy will be a nice big shiny iMac.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 10:10 am

The MS way, a race to the bottom, cheap and value for money are two different things.

geek_remmers, Jul 22, 10:11 am

best laptop for year 10 boy?

geek_kattagee, Jul 22, 10:50 am

oops sorry . wrong place

geek_kattagee, Jul 22, 10:51 am

I can judge because;
1) The comments / forums I've been on that complain how Apple don't give a crap about your broken machine after 2 years of having it
2) I have used a Mac in the stores. Hard to navigate around for me.
3) Because I'm on a budget
4) Because everyone else judges, so why can't I?

geek_jana.f.hayes, Jul 22, 12:07 pm

Heh. In regards to what I said? Or? I haven't had ANY issues with my lap top aside from the design of it. Which is not at all Windows fault, and it was easily solved. Other then that, I've run this thing for 4 years without any virus protection, and it hasn't slowed down very much compared to what other people usually complain about after 2+ years with whatever OS they are running.

I guess it really comes down to if you are a user who knows what they're doing, or if you click silly things and open silly attachments as to weather your system will work *for you*.

geek_jana.f.hayes, Jul 22, 12:10 pm

There is an old saying... "You can't judge a book by it's cover". Of course you "can" actually judge it. But your judgment will not be fair nor accurate.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 12:16 pm

Just get something from the skip. Cost nothing and last for years in my experiance.

geek_mark.p, Jul 22, 12:20 pm

They cost a bit more, but a worth it? Yes, they cost more, but why bother forking out as much as that when you can get BETTER specs for less? Considering the processors etc are all the same as the ones Windows use, why not just get a blank PC, and put Mac on it? It's doable, and then money can be put towards something like... Oh I don't know?
Those four new tires you need on your car?
The service / warrent / rego it's due for?
A family freaking holiday! Considering my holidays consist of about $400~, I could go on plenty of holidays, and still have a top notch PC (Or, Hackntosh).

That's all I'm saying. But hey, if you have SPEAR CASH to just THROW AROUND or you can SAVE MONEY (Unlike me, lets not lie) then SUUUURRRREEEEE. Get a shiny white Mac.

But when they don't serve you because you didn't buy their "Protection plus" or an extended warranty or when a virus DOES come out (Like that recent Mac Defence or something) and you Mac goes BUST because "Hey, I didn't have an anti-virus!" Then don't come crying and complaining and asking what PC is a good buy.

Also you can generally upgrade PC's. I've heard it's a little harder with all-in-ones. Because that's what Macs have, isn't it? One of their products anyway.

And no, I haven't experienced their customer service, but after what I've read, I don't really want to. You are the one out of 15~ who hasn't complained about replacements.

geek_jana.f.hayes, Jul 22, 12:53 pm

Lol, I build my own computers. I don't have a problem with PC's and I quite like Windows 7. But IMO OS X is superior. I wouldn't have a hackintosh, that's just asking for trouble.

You realise that most of what you will read online will be complaints, that's what people do in forums etc, complain. It's hardly a fair representation of the customer base.

Do you have an issue with people having enough money to afford nice things, you seem a little bitter. Perhaps jealousy is the issue here.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 1:01 pm

I'm a Linux person myself. However I do quite like windows 7.

It really depends how much you want to spend. Apple have a nice build quality, however you're paying a premium for their hardware. You could build a PC for quite a bit cheaper. Plus, with a PC you can build it exactly how you like.

I have a TV tuner in mine(I'm not sure if apple offer them yet) for example, with the case I want, the drives I want and so on...

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 1:15 pm

In terms of TV tuners for Mac, you can get USB ones that work very well.
I have different machines for different purposes some OS's are better suited for different tasks. E.g. My 4yo's computer runs XP as there are a boat load of great education games for the Windows platform.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 1:23 pm

Ah, I knew a while back they didn't support blu-ray and TV tuners which struck me as odd. I use an internal DVB-T/DVB-S tuner which is great with media center.

I never clicked with OS X, however I'd recommend it to a non power user. Someone who just needs internet and emails etc. It's perfect for that.

Airdrop is a good idea, I quite like that, I hope windows gets that soon(Although I can see a 3rd party version coming out). Mission Control seems like task manager or resource manager though.

That's my opinion anyway.

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 1:29 pm

Plus, Apple OS X isn't as popular, so it has less of those 3rd party apps which break. It's never really the OS that craps out. It's some program you've downloaded etc(well most of the time)

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 2:48 pm

I never clicked with OS X, however I'd recommend it to a non power user. Someone who just needs internet and emails etc. It's perfect for that. Little virus chance. The security is good & there is a lot of support for it

recommend to non power user.....lol

geek_remmers, Jul 22, 3:06 pm

heh I'm a "power user", you do know that OS X has Terminal to wet your CL appetite.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 3:08 pm

Yea I know, but I've never really seen OS X with all those extra packages to use.

Take ubuntu for example, I can sit myself in the terminal and build a terminal server straight from there. OS X to me.. was never really that OS. It sounds silly.. but I always saw it as that car you kept in your garage for weekends

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 3:10 pm

That's just me. I like Linux and Windows. I like to be able to do everything myself. Build the computer to exactly how I want it etc.

I can see why OS X appeals to people though. I will however give apple the thumbs up for their hardware, it is decent, right up there with Asus(IBM to me, will always be #1). Although their nano's aren't that great.. My first one burnt my leg

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 3:13 pm

I was always an avid Linux fan (still run it on some machines) then one day I went to some random friend of a friend's place and used his Mac... thought it was pretty neat so brought one myself. Now I own several and defiantly prefer OS X to any other OS for my every day stuff, my MacBook is always the first computer I jump on when I get home. It's certainly my pic for managing my Music collection (data on network), photos and editing videos. Then there is the Linux box that acts as my network storage, torrenting machine and test web server...also used for grunt work such as video re-encodes etc.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 3:25 pm

Out curiosity how does iTunes fare for you over the network?

I have all my media on a file server. iTunes is so terrible with it. Yet windows media players is fine.

I have a similar setup to you. Linux for grunt, webservers etc, But I have win7 for my desktop and laptop.

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 3:28 pm

Works perfectly fine for me but I haven't tried iTunes on Windows though...

Server is using a patch cable to router and Macs use wifi.

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 3:38 pm

Hmm.. it must be the windows build then. It even did this when I was running XP & Vista a while ago. It's also very heavy on the resources

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 3:40 pm

I can try it out with windows and see what happens... are you using gigabit ports / capable router or switch?

geek_reeveopd, Jul 22, 3:42 pm

Yea, everything is gigabit. All going back to a 16 port tplink switch. Everything else works great through gigabit.

I won't argue you trying, don't waste too much time though :)

geek_charles.j, Jul 22, 3:43 pm

You mean a real computer shop as opposed to appliance stores that think PCs are like washing machines?
Why?
Any decent computer shop build them to order, can advise you properly, give real warranties, none of this 1 yr crap and use quality parts.

Like Computer Lounge or Playtech.

geek_lythande1, Jul 22, 5:41 pm

Er, No? I am not bitter. I am pointing out why I wrote my "Flaws". If you have money to throw around on things, then fine, it's just a computer. Personally *I* like Windows.

If I had money to throw around, I'd buy a Holden Kingswood, when you argue that Fords are better, for price differences (OK This is a shit example...) I am not going to assume you are bitter, I am going to assume you like Fords, and they are generally cheaper. Each to their own.

geek_jana.f.hayes, Jul 22, 5:53 pm

Some people who buy computers (or anything for that matter) don't think that a considered choice based on experience and personal preference is "throwing money around".

geek_dunedin_ree, Jul 22, 6:21 pm