Linux Mint 11- compatible printer

gilco2, Aug 1, 5:13am
I really prefer Linux Mint over Windows but I keep going back to windows due to printer.I have the Canon Pixma MP640 multifunction and using the canon driver it just wont print. I tried out Turboprint 2 and it worked for a couple of days and then just gets stuck on processing and wont print.I tried Ubuntu Ultimate 2.6.1 and standard canon driver did work nicely but Linux kept locking up. Can someone recommend a good linux friendly multi function printer I could use with Linux Mint 11.

little_egypt, Aug 1, 5:34am
The HP photosmart works pretty well in ubuntu. Or just about anything else in the Pixma range; the printer you have doesn't show up in the driver list but lots of others in the Pixma MP range do.

rozendaal, Aug 1, 6:24am
I tried Turboprint as well and found it really buggy but myEpson NX220works well now once I figured out what to download and how to install it.

Some of the Brother lasers claim universal OS

badcam, Aug 1, 6:27am
Many of the Brother Printers are plug and play, but then there are some that aren't. For instance my MFC7340 Laser printer needs some command line work to get the printer to work, whereas many of the other Brother MFC's just work immediately. You could also try using a driver that's similar to your Canon Model number. I know my Brother MFC also works well with one of the other Brother drivers (7225N, I recall), so you just might be able to get your existing one to work.

The HP Photosmart C4100 just works. There's a newer version of that no doubt now. You might be best to just call the local printer agents direct and ask them for models that work with Linux.

gilco2, Aug 1, 6:39am
my epson tx 600 worked okay in Mint 9 until it spat the dummy.I saw an ad for HP on tv yesterday from warehouse stationary so may look into that.I dont know why but Linux Mint 11 just feels nicer than windows 7 and works really well.I am cutting the Itunes cord so can go fully to Linux.
I thought might as well look at new printer now as it would be not much more expensive than full set of ink for the canon. Thanks for the help. I will soon be free from Microsoft also

badcam, Aug 1, 6:42am
What did you do with iTunes? Music? Podcasts? Streaming?

gilco2, Aug 1, 6:50am
Itunes I used to put videos and ebooks onto the ipad. I just couldnt get itunes to work. It would load and start fine and I could load books in ready to transfer to ipad but it just wouldnt communicate with ipad.I used wine.

little_egypt, Aug 2, 5:34am
The HP photosmart works pretty well in ubuntu. Or just about anything else in the Pixma range; the printer you have doesn't show up in the driver list but lots of others in the Pixma MP range do.

badcam, Aug 2, 6:27am
Many of the Brother Printers are plug and play, but then there are some that aren't. For instance my MFC7340 Laser printer needs some command line work to get the printer to work, whereas many of the other Brother MFC's just work immediately. You could also try using a driver that's similar to your Canon Model number. I know my Brother MFC also works well with one of the other Brother drivers (7225N, I recall), so you just might be able to get your existing one to work.

The HP Photosmart C4100 just works. There's a newer version of that no doubt now. You might be best to just call the local printer agents direct and ask them for models that work with Linux.

badcam, Aug 2, 6:42am
What did you do with iTunes! Music! Podcasts! Streaming!

gilco2, Aug 5, 1:00am
okay an update. after reading many forums and different solutions for different printers I have the canon mp640 working with Linux Mint 11.download drivers from canon site. Download Turboprint2.Install turboprint 2 trial then in turboprint add your printer and get it printing. Then install the canon drivers downloaded from Canon site and then in Linux printers add the 640 and test. Then you can delete turboprint trial and still able to use the mp640.a round about way but does actually work

mark.p, Aug 6, 1:56am
Thanks for sharing. Bound to be a few who will find it usefull.

badcam, Aug 6, 5:01am
Calibre should be good for the ebooks:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Not sure about the vid's though. Miro or gPodder are worth trying.

gilco2, Aug 6, 5:55am
Dont need to worry. I sold the Ipad for 800 and got the toshiba tablet for same price and loving it. Just put ebooks and music and videos etc on just as easy as external hard drive.

badcam, Aug 7, 5:01am
Calibre should be good for the ebooks:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Not sure about the vid's though. Miro or gPodder are worth trying.

guest, Jan 20, 5:17am
Hi all NZ Geeks

I am from Cambridge NZ and I just love Linu11 but I am having trouble getting past just using. When it comes to downloading programmes eg Wine and using it I am loosing it and sometimes want to go back to sleep in Windows.Is there someone near Cambridge who would be willing to coach me on Mint contact me on biggoals4u@gmail.com

Hugh Williams

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)