Computer freezing and advice from HP

Hi, have posted a couple of times about a freezing laptop HP running vista, have exhausted all avenues that I can regarding this problem and computer is out of warranty but have emailed HP and they suggested running a hard-drive check which I have done and it passed, if passed they suggested re-installing the operating system. I don't have the vista disc, but my question is if I got somebody to do it for me would it be worth buying Windows 7 and installing that instead. Excuse my ignorance but just a thought, and wondered if a worthwhile one :)

geek_texasgal80, Aug 7, 8:12 pm

what model by the way!

geek_acura, Aug 7, 8:15 pm

dv5 1009ax it's about 2.5 years old :)

geek_texasgal80, Aug 7, 8:16 pm

Your laptop most likely has a recovery partition. Go through your programs menu and you should find a media recovery dvd creator. Or try tapping on F8 or F11 when booting, it may give you the option to reinstall from the petition.

geek_babcorp, Aug 7, 8:52 pm

if your laptop runs Vista nicely ( while its not acting up ) then you will most definitely love the windows 7 replacement, just be sure to download all the drivers and place them on a USB stick BEFORE you whipe your Hdd and install windows 7, this makes it alot faster to set up the pc once 7 is installed

geek_ginga4lyfe, Aug 7, 9:34 pm

Vista is MS's biggest mistake to date. Get windows 7 asap or even XP.

geek_gregs-gadgets, Aug 8, 9:19 am

Hi, have posted a couple of times about a freezing laptop HP running vista, have exhausted all avenues that I can regarding this problem and computer is out of warranty but have emailed HP and they suggested running a hard-drive check which I have done and it passed, if passed they suggested re-installing the operating system. I don't have the vista disc, but my question is if I got somebody to do it for me would it be worth buying Windows 7 and installing that instead. Excuse my ignorance but just a thought, and wondered if a worthwhile one :)

geek_texasgal80, Aug 8, 8:12 pm

dv5 1009ax it's about 2.5 years old :)

geek_texasgal80, Aug 8, 8:16 pm