Little_egypt, linux advice pls.

Rang a linux programer & was told to use google.

I have a older 400mhzpc, that I want to setup on linux,has 190megs ram (128+64=!) and I want to play with linux,what version do you think!

Can it run MKV and avi movies!Does it support VLC or have anything as good!

Thanks.
Yes I googled netbook linux not come back with any sysem specs & left it there.

geek_mr_lovebug, Aug 22, 11:18 am

I may not be little_egypt, but here is my 2 cents.

Try xubuntu, it's light but still a decent OS. Your Cpu may struggle with high quality videos though. It will support VLC as it's widely available for linux flavours

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download (Although it should be in the package manager)

geek_charles.j, Aug 22, 11:30 am

That machine is going to suck for anything but basic web browsing / email and WP. Put puppy on it and you can learn a bit about the structure of Linux. Don't expect it to play videos very well, but yes you can get VLC for puppy or any other linux distro.

I'd suggest finding a slightly more recent PC, nothing under 1.2GHz and 512M ram if you want something tolerably fast, and put Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on it. otherwise you're just going to have a poor first impression of linux.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 22, 11:30 am

comments to charles.j : Hadn't thought of xubuntu . I guess that would work (just) on that machine too.

With a package-based distro you should never install anything by any other method than through package management. Otherwise you'll end up with a confused package manager and things will be forever breaking.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 22, 11:33 am

Ah, I didn't think about the confusion

However, Puppy would be better as you said. Good post :)

geek_charles.j, Aug 22, 11:37 am

okay,cool.thanks for that info.

Will start to look into & play with linux now (next few days).
Was hoping that the box might be a small light weight media box.

Will have it as a basic internet pc for my little girl all the same.

geek_mr_lovebug, Aug 22, 11:44 am

As said, your system won't be able to play the latest video codecs as they require hardware decoding for smooth playback, which means a graphics card that's capable. Without one the system will default back onto the CPU but in your case, it won't be able to cope. There's a slim chance that you could use a PCI graphics card but then again, the MB may not even be able to recognise it because of age. All of this is of course if you're talking about a PC and not a laptop.

geek_lostdude, Aug 22, 12:35 pm

I agree, Puppy is a supurb distro and great to try out. Just be aware that many independent pc retails sell ex lease 2.4 Compaq Deskpro boxes for around $100 with a 3 month gaurantee which is a bargain.

Whatever you decide on I'd recommend you have a decent lLCD widescreen monitor as that is what makes web browsing, dvd playing and word processing visually enjoyable. CRT's are really past it now.

Good luck.

geek_otako, Aug 22, 1:58 pm

look at this nice puppy:
http://macpup.org/

geek_zak410, Aug 22, 5:48 pm