Whats the best VPN provider! Page 1 / 4

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 2:12am
I'm in the VPN market because of this stupid new law. Whats your recommendations for a provider that wont take action if you download the occasional torrent, I'm not a big torrent user, it's more just to be safe, and to access country restricted content
I know there are thousands out there and I've read heaps of reviews and forums, I just wanna know what you guys think is the best from your experiences
Thanks in advance

charles.j, Sep 14, 2:15am
http://www.leaseweb.com/

Seems to be what everyone is talking about

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 2:19am
So you would rent one of the servers, install a torrent client on it and then download the file to your home machine!

charles.j, Sep 14, 2:22am
I haven't done it personally. But I know people who do. A friend of mine has one in canada too(apparently it's legal there!).

All they do, is download whatever they want on their VPS and bring it back to NZ at the end of the month(on their last day of the month) as they don't have much bandwidth/have very slow speeds due to where they are.

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 2:28am
Oh right, bandwidth isn't a problem for me because my data and speed are completely unlimited. I don't want to be paying too much either but having an additional server to hide behind wouldn't hurt all the same

suicidemonkey, Sep 14, 2:37am
I've used Swiss VPN for years without any issues :)

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 2:50am
Thanks, I'll check them out. Any others anyone would like to recommend!

swivel, Sep 14, 3:57am
But as posted a while ago, If the police go and ask who owns/uses them, the Providers will openly give the details of the users. So legal but with loopholes the law can use if you don't live in Canada

suicidemonkey, Sep 14, 4:21am
But all data sent via the VPN is encrypted (well for the one I use anyway) so even if they look closer they wouldn't be able to see what you've been downloading.

that's my understanding anyway. could be wrong.

brucie44, Sep 14, 4:48am
hidemyass.com
has some of the best ratings in VPN reviews

teroopu, Sep 14, 6:35am
I use HMA, only problem I have is a dramatic drop in speeds.Although our area is up for UFB so I guess that will make a positive difference, but then again the drop in speed maybe at the international tunnel so maybe it wont make a difference !The actual program runs well, easy to use and setup.Have tried a few and speed seems to be a universal issue.

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 7:03am
I've been looking at HMA as well and thought someone would mention it but I had heard the same thing about speeds dropping a bit. What is the percentage it dropped for you!

brucie44, Sep 14, 9:06am
my understanding is that VPN approx halves your speed.

suicidemonkey, Sep 14, 9:13am
Totally depends on the VPN. I can get 8-9mbit down on SwissVPN on my 12-13mbit connection.

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 9:43am
Swiss VPN only go through Switzerland, not other countries dont they!

suicidemonkey, Sep 14, 9:57am
correct

profink, Sep 14, 10:43am
The closer the server you are connecting to, the better.

With HMA VPN I get on average 8+mbit to LA from my 19mbit connection. Australia I don't really notice a change.

rugbyreff, Sep 14, 2:42pm
Thats good to know. The USA is the country I will probably be connectiong through the most

charles.j, Sep 15, 2:22am
I haven't done it personally. But I know people who do. A friend of mine has one in canada too(apparently it's legal there!).

All they do, is download whatever they want on their VPS and bring it back to NZ at the end of the month as they don't have much bandwidth/have very slow speeds due to where they are.

puddleduck00, Sep 15, 6:11am
I just tried HMA and I about 30KB/s to Australia. I wonder why so shit when yours is so good.

systemdc, Sep 15, 6:37am
http://www.hidemyass.com - You could also buy a seedbox which is more secure but having said that your bandwidth is unlimited, a VPN is the best solution for you.

teroopu, Sep 15, 7:15am
Thats about the same as me :( , Interesting what was said about using a Switzerland site, might try that.I also thought going closer to Oz would result in higher speeds but there was no difference using Oz or Singapore.Will give the Swiss a crack.

teroopu, Sep 15, 7:17am
Great speeds congrats. Did you do any port forwarding!

bussani, Sep 15, 7:18am
The data is encrypted between the download and the VPN and then between the VPN and you, so your ISP and anyone else can't snoop and see what data is being transferred. However, the place you're downloading from (so if it's a torrent, anyone in the swarm) will still see the VPN's IP address. That's unavoidable, and it means right-holders or the police of whoever could easily find out someone downloaded the file using the VPN and potentially ask the VPN for details on that customer.

poco131, Sep 15, 7:56am

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)