I have a Brother ink cartridge printer, can I just

kevlight, Jul 6, 11:21pm
for the canon pixma you can go into the printer properties/maintenance and change the printer settings so it prints with the black cart only,
save having to use up your colour ink,
i got tired of the small capacityink in the Canon and switched to a brother MFC printer ,larger carts separate ink carts and once you have drilled a hole in the top of the ink carts very easy to fill in place with a syringe ,we just buy the large 250 ml bottles of bulk refill ink

hakatere1, Jul 7, 12:42am
So, do you cover the hole again and if not, what stops the ink slopping around as it flies back and forth!

cantab1971, Jul 7, 1:12am
+1. another reason to get HP over brother. cut your losses and ditch the brother, its not worth buying anything else for it.

drcspy, Jul 7, 2:05am
HUH i have a brother dcp-165c it's cost me zero to run it for the last three years.I was given some ink from a CISS kit for an epson.I use that to refill the carts and it works perfectly. Very simple to do .If I'd had to buy the refills it'd have cost me $50 for 4x 100ml bottles.very cheap.

black-heart, Jul 7, 3:51am
I'd never buy an HP inkjet, the software is an enormous mountain 300mb + of errors, the carts are the most expensive of any brand, and most likely to die completely if refilled, and they make claims like wireless print scan all in one, while it can only perform wireless printing. Then they abandon models at a whim, ormake a lazy universal driver that misses almost every feature of real drivers for older OS's.

kevlight, Jul 31, 5:48am
hakatere1the ink carts on my Brother MFC210C

was a $1 reserve TM purchase

the carts do not move,they stay stationary,

the fine tubes attached to them go back and forth with the print head,which is in the back of the machine about 200 mm away from the carts

I have not covered the holes on my carts but some refill kits do come with little rubber bungs

I use cics bulk 250ml ink refills bottles, and i leave the carts in the machine and fill them with a syringe .

the only problem i have stuck was the red colour blockage a month ago which i was able to fix via .;google and making the machine go into maintenance mode, and cleaning the ink cleaning tank in the back and forcing meths though the tubes with the syringe

works for mefor the last year and cheap low cost ,win win win

hakatere1, Jul 31, 7:32pm
Sorry, I thought in post #10 you were talking about Canon Pixma. I have an ip4500 and the carts really motor along rail. Interestingly, I also have a brother 210c which I use for scanning only because one of the colour heads (forget which one) is blocked. It actually was a good printer.

luvthebikes, Oct 2, 2:10am
replace the black cartridge & not the other colours.
Will it work with just black!

drcspy, Oct 2, 2:21am
you need to replace whichever are low.the printer shoudl tell you

claracat, Oct 2, 8:15pm
Brother printers will not work unless all cartridges have sufficient ink, that is you cant just print in black if any of your colours are empty!

velenski, Oct 2, 9:09pm
stupid brother !

puddleduck00, Oct 2, 9:33pm
My Canon Pixma is the same. It uses all of the colours to print in black. Inkjet printers/ink is a corrupt industry, you'll find most inkjets report their cartriges are empty when they're not. I pull out my so called empty catridges when the printer has a waz and poke a hole in a reservoir and wow would you believe quite a bit of ink drains out. Transparent generic cartriges are the way to go.

vtecintegra, Oct 2, 9:37pm
Whats the model!

My HP will still print black if the colour carts are depleted

hakatere1, Oct 2, 9:47pm
My canon pixma ip4500 has 2 black carts.one for pics (I presume and bigger than others) and one for text. I get mine from inkvenus at a fraction of the cost.

puddleduck00, Oct 2, 10:03pm
That's what i assumed.Now that I have transparent carts, I can see that it uses colour ink to print black
(as well as black). I've had it set to greyscale since I've owned it and been through as much colour as black.

hakatere1, Oct 2, 10:37pm
Oh, ok. Very interesting.

puddleduck00, Oct 3, 9:33pm
My Canon Pixma is the same. It uses all of the colours to print in black. Inkjet printers/ink is a corrupt industry, you'll find most inkjets report their cartriges are empty when they're not. I pulled out my so called empty catridges when the printer had a waz and poked a hole in the reservoir and wow would you believe quite a bit of ink drains out. Transparent generic cartriges are the way to go. You have to ask yourself why a printer would need to use all of the colours to print in black. The old black inkjets did okay without colour cartidges.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)