I can use some advice about google

When i open google and chrome i keep getting 404 not found and nginx in small letters under the 404. Have run virus scan but no luck. Have tried google help forum but no luck.Have reinstalled chrome but no luck. Any advice on how to fix this will be appreciated thanks.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 5:40 pm

Try Firefox, Opera or IE. Then you'll know if it is a browser problem, or to look elsewhere.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 5, 5:43 pm

Cheers nixon. I install Firefox but still getting 404.Thought about installing a newer version of internet explorer but can`t search for windows site.Odd because all my bookmarks are still available to click on.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 5:55 pm

What websites (if any) will open!

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 5, 6:01 pm

All my bookmarks open but there is no google search box when i open chrome or google.tell me how to take a screen shot of the page so i can post it and you can see what i mean.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 6:09 pm

Do you mean you can't type www.google.com in Chrome and get it to work or that when you first run Chrome, Google isn't your homepage!

geek_smoshy16, Oct 5, 6:29 pm

I`m fairly new at computering so bear with me. When i double click on the chrome icon on my desktop the page opens with www.google.nz in the address bar! across the top but underneath it says :404 not found" and the rest of the page is blank.would be good if i could show a screen shot of what i mean.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 6:44 pm

No such site as www.google.nz Maybe you would like to correct the address.

geek_spyware, Oct 5, 7:00 pm

www.google.co.nz. (this is whats showing in the bar at the top of the page). I can click on the links on my bookmark bar and open the web pages. Again, If someone can tell me how to post a screenshot of my desktop you will see what i mean.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 7:11 pm

What antivirus and security - especially firewall - are installed!

geek_mark.52, Oct 5, 7:22 pm

I have Avast, Malwarebytes and i`m sure Windows firewall! Have scanned with malware and avast but to no avail.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 7:34 pm

check chrome optoins for connections type you might have it set to use a proxy which you DONT' want

geek_drcspy, Oct 5, 7:41 pm

This webpage is not available
The webpage at chrome://settings/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error. This is what came up when i clicked on options.Please tell me i`ve done something stupid and its sooo easy to fix.

geek_aegis888, Oct 5, 7:49 pm

geek_smoshy16, Oct 7, 12:17 am

To do a screen shot with a desktop pc, press the print screen key, open paint, go to paint menu and click paste. If you have a laptop, press the fn key at same time as print screen. Then upload to your trademe pics and give a link here.

geek_hakatere1, Oct 7, 6:34 am

Thanks people.Appreciate all the advice. Have the weekend of to try and sort it.Long live the eternal optimist.

geek_aegis888, Oct 7, 6:20 pm

Finally from the eternal optimist.After many process `s of elimination, extensive research and development and a quick chat with the wife of a computer genius based in Papua New Guinea i found the solution to "404 not found {nginx}" when opening google. If any one has a deep deep bug that your usual anti virus cant get to try this.
http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/
Its real quick and its FREE!

geek_aegis888, Oct 12, 9:48 am

Combofix will catch it too. Course, if google doesn't go, you're pretty well hamstrung. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix

geek_hakatere1, Oct 12, 9:23 pm

Unable to access Google ,Youtube.etc
Error message:
404 not found error nginx

Reason:HOST FILE has been hijacked
Solution
??? For XP:
o Click on Start > Run >Type cmd
??? For Vista and 7:
o Click in Start > Type cmd in the Search field> Right click > Run as Admnistrator.

Then enter these commands one by one (press enter after every command ):
??? Command 1:
o cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\et-
c
??? Command 2:
o cacls hosts /p everyone:f
??? Press Y and enter

There are cases when you may get an error 'The system cannot find the file specified'
Reason why you face this issue is your hosts file may have got deleted and your computer may use backup file called hosts.old or hosts.backup which may have been hijacked.In those cases I will recommend you to replace hosts with hosts.old in every command
??? Command 3:
o attrib hosts -s -h -r
??? Command 4:
o notepad hosts

This command pops up a notepad,now remove unwanted entries below this line
127.0.0.1localhost-XP
::1localhost-vista and windows 7
??? Take a look at here and see how a clean host file should be
o http://support.microsoft.com/k-
b/972034
??? Now Press Ctrl+s key to save the notepad
??? Command 5:
o attrib hosts +s +h +r
??? Close the command window. Check your browser now
Nah.Norton eraser was sooo much easier!

geek_aegis888, Oct 12, 9:50 pm

I was also emailed this but again,The Norton bug killer is easy as.

Note that
??? 1)I have seen people recommending COMBO FIX to remove this trojan.NEVER use combofix for this issue, if you lack experience.It should not be used without a supervision.
??? 2)Norton power eraser is an other tool which solves this issue

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx!lcid=1033
??? 3)Microsoft fixit is not going to help you.Do not try running it.
Again, thanks for the suggestions, Life`s not the same without google.

geek_aegis888, Oct 12, 9:58 pm