Pronlems with ADSL dropping

Hey, in the past few weeks, our ADSL keeps disconnecting. All it takes is a power reset to get it going again, but then it may only last for 5 minutes and i have to do it again! Its becoming a pain. I have tried another adsl modem, but the same thing happens.Its a nuisance for using remote desktop.Any ideas what it could be!Will ring the isp, just thought some one might know.

geek_thepuppydad, Oct 5, 6:18 pm

Tried another computer to eliminate issues on your end! Other than that, it could be your line quality or distance from the DSLAM.

geek_lugee, Oct 5, 6:25 pm

Yea we have 4 pcs + wifi ipad in the house.The "internet" LED on the modem goes out when it happens.I live 3 houses down from the local exchange. how can i test line quality!

geek_thepuppydad, Oct 5, 6:31 pm

Make a phone call, the line should be as clear as Bell telephony. Otherwise it's a noisy line, complain.

Also try disconnecting all of the phones, faxes and filters - just connect the adsl modem without a filter, to see how long the connection stands up. This helps identify a faulty filter, or faulty phone.

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 5, 8:17 pm

When I had this issue it was because they were in the process of upgrading the local gear to ADSL2. Had about a week of crap connections, then all good.

geek_smac, Oct 6, 8:17 am

It happen with me a while back. A corrosive phone jack in a room that did not get any sun was the problem. I removed jack and internet stopped dropping.

geek_babe3babes, Oct 6, 8:25 am

If the ADSL modem is older - then it may be failing and require replacement. Other then that - line problem or another change in the network that is upsetting the apple cart. (added a printer or any network device!)

geek_groovebox, Oct 6, 3:38 pm

Modem dropping can mean that you don't have a filter on all your phone lines - unplug all your phones and see if it drops. Another thing to check is your alarm system - have you had a system recently installed! Is there a filter installed on the alarm!

geek_nice175, Oct 6, 4:05 pm