Torrents. VPN

HI i just need your expert advise on VPN's just seeing if this is traceable (well yes, but no isp will go to the length of contacting overseas provider). and would you recommend it for downloading about 1-2 torrent movies per week!
Roughly US$18 for unlimited plan. my link is about 9mb downstream. just seeing how badly my VPN will affect my speed. my torrent current goes average at 1mb down with good seeds at the moment without vpn. does anyone use vpn please share your experience

geek_meng8742, Nov 5, 3:22 am

$18 US. IS THAT PER MONTH! that expensive.you want one that change IP at will and provider that keep the logging minimal

www.torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-mull-fraudster-database-in-wake-of-lulzec-fiasco-111006/

geek_rohb, Nov 5, 8:04 am

They wouldn't, the copyright owner would do that (or have the law etc do it) then contact theISP here with the details.

geek_swivel, Nov 5, 8:28 am

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

???It??s technically unfeasible for us to maintain log files with the amount of connections we route,??? BTguard explain. ???We estimate the capacity needed to store log files would be 4TB per day.???

???The jurisdiction is Canada. Since we do not have log files, we have no information to share. We do not communicate with any third parties. The only event we would even communicate with a third party is if we received a court order. We would then be forced to notify them we have no information. This has not happened yet.???

geek_little_egypt, Nov 5, 8:55 am

I read somewhere that they have contracted monitoring companies who will watch download sites for IP addresses that relate to NZ computers and report them back to the copyright holders.

geek_travis47, Nov 5, 10:04 pm

That wouldn't be the ISP's, as they just worry about you paying your bill

geek_swivel, Nov 5, 10:06 pm

No its the copyright owners who have contracted the monitoring companies to report back to them the IP addresses of down loaders.

geek_travis47, Nov 5, 10:28 pm

http://www.supervpn.net/prices.html
and also how will vpn affect my download speed. anyone tried it!

geek_meng8742, Nov 6, 4:25 am

I would be interested as well. Anyone recommend a good service!

geek_travis47, Nov 6, 8:35 am

You would rather pay $18 US per month to steal movies than buy them leagaly!

geek_cameragod, Nov 6, 9:41 am

This is the silly thing. OF COURSE NOT!

Everyone (even the most hardcore pirates) would much rather be paying $8 to $10 a month for netflix than >$15 a month for a VPS or seedbox . It's insane to say that it's not possible to provide it in New Zealand either, at the very worst all they have to do is switch off the IP checking that stops people from New Zealand from being able to use the US service and it'd be even better if they could have servers in New Zealand and do some deal with the ISP's to have it all zero-rated.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 6, 2:29 pm

Yes I know there are licencing agreements. Still the same deal; somebody, somewhere has the power to make netflix availble in New Zealand but they're rather bitch and moan about how they can't compete with free while we all spend twice as much to get around copyright law because the legal copyright holders don't seem to want to take our money.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 6, 2:33 pm

I've been using SwissVPN for years. about $7 a month.

geek_suicidemonkey, Nov 6, 2:33 pm

BTGuard are great at $8.97NZD a month and it works perfect with utorrent

geek_doudle101, Nov 6, 4:16 pm

I use Astrill. A really light, easy to use torrent client, lots of servers, secure, and fast as. Never had any problems. It's a bit more expensive at US$30 for 3 months but its cheaper for a year's subscription. But you do get good live tech support, and using the VPN on multiple devices at the same time is not a problem

geek_rugbyreff, Nov 6, 6:19 pm

I would just get a cheap seedbox.they download uber fast from torrent sources, then uber fast back to your PC using a secure encrypted sftp client. A 350 meg file back to me in about 6 minutes. Will cost you between $14-$20us for a good seedbox with a good amount of storage and no limitations. Here's a good comparison: http://cheapseedbox.net/

geek_sbw27, Nov 8, 10:28 am

It's amazing the effort people will go to in order to steal someone else's hard work.

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 10:37 am

Go back to the year 2000 cameragod, plenty of people want to pay for digital media, there's just no way to do it properly, and in a timely manner in this country because it is so backward. That $14-$20 should be going to the copyright holder, so who is at fault!

geek_sbw27, Nov 8, 10:41 am

Yeah they are pretty cheap these days.

EU$6 for 75GB Gigabit connected seedbox with VPN and proxy thrown in for free

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 10:42 am

The stupid thing is, i know guys now who are torrenting much more than they were before.

Now they are paying for a torrent service in a seedbox, they're more likely to be using it fully.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 10:43 am

Oh yes its the victims fault and girls in short skirts are just asking for it.

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 10:55 am

No it's not the victims fault, it's the media companies that release TV series in New Zealand 6 to 12 months after they do in the states, and don't offer users the opportunity to pay for what they want. Comparing copyright infringement to rape is sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=IeTybKL1pM4

geek_sbw27, Nov 8, 11:25 am

Comparing copyright infringement with rape! sensationalist much!

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 11:34 am

I just get sick of the blame the victim attitude. So you want something now and because you can??t have it legally its ok to steal it!
Maybe you should just wait 6 months! It took me 5 years of my life to make a movie and you should be allowed to have it for free because of its release schedule that I have no control over!
I have a family to feed and bills to pay. When you copy stuff without paying for it my industry is weakened and the chances of me getting more paying work drops. This is a reality all around me production companies are failing because nobody wants to pay for content.
And don??t give me the ???If we could pay for it we would??? BS. As Charlie Brooker said ???If the internet gave free back rubs, people would complain when it stopped because its thumbs were sore.??? In fact his whole article is worth reading .and it??s free

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/jun/06/spotify-problem-getting-people-to-pay

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 12:01 pm

The facts are this, The current media distribution model is broken. It worked when production houses could keep a hold on supply but now they cant its just stupidity trying to use the same outdated model and complain that its no longer working.

Technology change and peoples expectations change. Companies need to adapt their business models or die. Is that the fault of the pirates! partly, is that the fault of a production companies! partly, their inability to adapt has been the catalyst for their demise.

The other side of it is your argument (well his) has been somewhat debunked by the fact that some people are quite happy to pay their way around this new law to allow them access to the content they desire.

A seedbox for instance will cost you say EU$10 a month, Thats going to some shonky dude running a service in Europe somewhere instead of the people who created the content. Why! because the distribution model is broken and people don't have the patienceto wait for something to be made available here, when there is no technical reason why it cant be made available worldwide now. Other than the fact that the various middlemen wont get their cuts.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 12:06 pm

I don??t disagree that the current model is not working, the problem with that is nobody has come up with a "real world" working model to replace it yet.
So things are a mess and need to be fixed but untill they are is it ok to take the fruits of my labour for free just because you feel like it! That's not terribly moral is it!

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 12:18 pm

cameragod: I am paying for a seedbox.I would happily pay for netflix or any digital content distribution that provided TV series when they come out. I buy all my games via steam, I just paid $59 for COD WM3 which comes out in a few hours, I buy movies and music. I accept your argument, and I agree plenty of people will just steal, but comparing copyright infringement with rape is sick. There are bigger issues here, and until people like you and our government acknowledge it, downloading is always going to happen. This new copyright infringement enforcement law is a joke, and was put in place by politicians who don't even know what Netflix is! This is the forwarding thinking politicians that the National government has making policy, and policy about issues they don't even understand. Digital content distribution should be a way for independent film makers, artists, musicians to reach a wider audience, more cheaply, and easily.instead.we are having this argument.

geek_sbw27, Nov 8, 12:21 pm

Once again; in the US there's more internet traffic just from netflix than alltorrents put together (including copyleft documentaries and Linux downloads ;). Never mind hulu, itunes, etc.

But no, it's easier to complain about people 'stealing' than turn off the region restrictions and see how many would actually pay.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 8, 12:34 pm

Don't be a freetard, pay for your entertainment like an adult.

geek_doggitt, Nov 8, 12:37 pm

I don't think Netflix would fix everything. From the sound of it the selection is not very good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2011/02/02/netflixs-lousy-selection-of-movies/

How long before we hear "It's ok to Piratemovies becuse Netflixs sucks"

In fact it aready in the comments. :)

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 12:50 pm

Morality has nothing to do with it.

The only way the system will change is if the publishing and production companies need to change. That wont happen if people just sit around and go Ummmmm guys this is rubbish please change it.

The issue is simple to resolve, but the problem is they risk losing even more money in fixing it.

Currently the world is broken down into areas and sub areas below that. Content is license and released to specific areas. The issue is now that people can access content globally, the resolution is simple, release content globally. The problem the publishing/distribution layer has is its so use to being able to make copious amounts of money feeding content through these various layers.

The other side is, this law thats been introduced will do nothing to decrease piracy. All it will do is provide a mechanism to punish the people who are the least issue. Anyone pirating material on any level isn't going to be stupid enough to doit in a way thats going to allow them to be traced easily.

Proxies, seedboxes, VPN's and private trackers along with visa pressie cards go a long way to ensuring that there is very little way you can be tracked and even if they do suspect you, there is no evidence without cracking TLS encrypted data streams.

Meanwhile little Timmy who downloads the latest Lady Gaga track gets nailed.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 12:55 pm

Little Timmy might learn it's wrong to steal.

Friends don??t let friends download Gaga :)

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 1:08 pm

So what your effectively saying is it would be ok if they changed the laws to make the police focus on catching shop lifters at the expense of bank robbers.

The law will not stop anyone, and will only punish those who are the least problem

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 1:22 pm

Again the issue . from the comments section on the page you've posted

"Also, the reason that Netflix is not able to just offer all videos for stream is not their fault. You have the movie studios to thank for that. Instead of adapting to the ???opening up possibilities??? philosophy that the Internet allows, they try to maintain their dying business model. They are artificially crippling Netflix via their licensing agreements with them. Netflix can??t just offer what they want, they have to adhere to their contractual agreements."

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 1:40 pm

I disagree, the selection is very good. Hulu and Netflix are great.

geek_puddleduck00, Nov 8, 2:35 pm

Is little Timmy aware that this may happen!

geek_doggitt, Nov 8, 2:37 pm

Also cameragod, read little egypt's post above about the amount of internet traffic Netflix generates. Seems like a real-world working solution to me. Pay for a US based VPN for a month and have a look at Netflix and Hulu for yourself.

geek_puddleduck00, Nov 8, 2:38 pm

How did I know I'd find you in this thread doggit! haha.

geek_puddleduck00, Nov 8, 2:42 pm

Who knows. But gratz on missing the point completely

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 2:50 pm

Well little Timmy should know that ignorance of the law is no excuse anyway.

geek_doggitt, Nov 8, 3:17 pm

One reason, I have been told, that the big studios don't want to change is that even with the piracy they make more money using the old model than they can make with a download model. Fine for them but without them buying into a new model it means we smaller players get shafted.

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 3:26 pm

There are very good reasons for region restrictions. I used to work for Blockbuster video when it was still a Viacom subsidiary, one company, around the world.
When it came to the distribution of certain content, it was not unusual for actors in a production to have a clause in their contract preventing their work from showing outside the United States and selected terrirories. Mostly, this is for a set period of time, but from time to time an item was to never screen outside the designated areas (one of the reasons why not all movies / TV shows even big ones you might see overseas come here).

geek_sakofan, Nov 8, 3:27 pm

Since you seem unwilling or unable to work it out under your own steam, i'll try and clarify my point for your benefit.

I'm in no way excusing Timmy's actions nor trying to justify them.

I'm merely saying a law that is designed in a way that specifically targets the people who are doing the least is somewhat unfair.

You're only punishing those who in the grand scheme of things are doing the least damage. The people who truly are having an impact on the copyright holders bottom line are getting away with it still, in some cases on a larger scale than they were before.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 3:31 pm

welcome to the film industry.

Even without piracy you still get shafted, there is nothing to stop you as an indie film maker releasing your films under a different model though.

People can and do make money out of it.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 3:33 pm

Look since the 80's and the advent of the laser disc we have had consultants telling us the current pay models are dead. There have been workshops and all kinds of models suggested and trialed.Things like "The long tail" i.e. lots and lots of small sales over a longer period of time. didn't work.
"Hyperlocal" content locally marketed with local branding. didn't work.

Netflxs and Hulu only work because the content has already been paid for by the traditional models. They don't work as a sole delivery.

Before you tear the old system down don't you think you need a system that works to replace it or do you want to watch cooking shows for the rest of your life!

geek_cameragod, Nov 8, 3:38 pm

You still haven't mentioned why a non-zoned release model wouldn't work.

The current model breaks down when you try and contain release. So why do it at all if this is a valid problem!

Thinking outside the box also helps

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1950005,00.html

For instance

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 3:59 pm

Golly gosh, thanks for dragging yourself down to a thicko's level to explain to little old me.

geek_doggitt, Nov 8, 4:02 pm

You're welcome

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 4:07 pm

Perhaps one day I'll return the favour but reading your comments it makes me wonder if it's worth it.

In the meantime I'd just like to say to everyone, you don't get stuff all for free. Grow up and pay for your entertainment.

geek_doggitt, Nov 8, 4:09 pm

Awww passive aggressive and everything.

if you didn't have your head stuffed so far up your own arse perhaps you'd realise I agree with you.

geek_directorylist, Nov 8, 4:11 pm