Some advice to transfer computer connection

stoute_aap, Nov 18, 6:53am
Hi, I have a computer in our living room. Its a satellite broadband modem IPSTAR. We have a double garage and I am thinking to use it as an office so I would like to set up an additional computer in there with (and here it comes) an internet connection! How do I. divide the signal and let it go also to the garage! Any help appreciated :-)

kevin16, Nov 18, 7:41am
how far away is it!
you can use the usb port to one next to modem!,.
or get a router with wireless, (you might want to think about wireless instead of cables),
any help!

skull, Nov 18, 8:15am
I have internet in my garage, I have a wireless router in the house, the garage is tin so no reception inside the garage. I poked a hole in the side of the garage closest to the wireless router (about 10 meters and a pane of glass) and shoved an aerial out the hole and ran a cable from the aerial to the computer. Got the aerial and cable from Jaycar, had to purchase an additional adaptor for one end of the cable too so check it screws together before you skip out of the shop. It works perfectly fine and fast enough for almost anything you want to do with running a business. If you are looking for high definition porn in the garage you may struggle.

owene, Nov 18, 9:31am
You must have an existing router (the box that connects to your filter on the phone line). How many holes (ports) on it marked 'LAN' are un-used!

kevin16, Nov 18, 10:24am

owene, Nov 18, 10:44am
OK, seems your router has ONE ethernet port. Go out and buy a cheap switch eg!p=416825 and three ethernet cables. One short one plugs into the existing router and into the new switch (any port). The second plugs into the new switch and into number one PC. The third plugs into the new switch and into number two PC. Then come back here and we'll help you configure it all.

stoute_aap, Nov 18, 6:27pm
Hey awesome for the replies, am not that pc savy when it comes to this sort of thing, the garage is about 5 mtres away. I thought about wireless but I did not know how to go about that. I will have a look at the links everyone provided. Does the computer at the other end need anything done to it to receive the wireless signal!

stoute_aap, Nov 18, 6:34pm
Yep thats the one!

skin1235, Nov 18, 6:38pm
fear not, the signal does not need 'splitting', your system is well capable of 'sharing' the signal
nor sure what has been suggested above but I'd go with a 4 port switch or hub beside the modem, plug the existing computer into it and then another cable to the modem, plug the new computer into that switch as well
couple of cables various suitable lengths and all is done, hubs are cheap on here, cables same

drcspy, Nov 18, 6:47pm
didn't read the links but to receive a WIRELESS signal when the machine is NOT plugged into any cable the computer needs to have a wireless network card installed in it.if it's a laptop it'll already have one.desktops DO NOT have wireless cards in them.

it's easy and cheap to install one.the alternative is a 'wireless usb dongle' which look,s like a usb data key but is a wireless sender/receiver .also cheap.

spyware, Nov 18, 6:53pm
Maybe you should investigate whether the IPSTAR device is a router providing a private IP address or a bridge providing a public IP address before suggesting to connect a switch to it. Networking is a little more complicated than just connecting little boxes together with patch leads.

spyware, Nov 18, 6:56pm
Quoted from IPSTAR site. To me that last sentence would indicate that a routing device needs to be connected to the modem to add NAT, DHCP etc.

User Terminal Components Overview

A user terminal can be used as a stand-alone, dedicated single-user platform or can be adapted into a shared hub terminal for a local area network (LAN) system via an additional Ethernet port.

stoute_aap, Nov 18, 7:17pm
Ok, so a wireless router. and a wireless usb dongle from the other side! I really cant put cables down so wireless looks like the best option.

owene, Nov 18, 7:58pm
Haha! Now the OP is completely confused and about to give up as there is so much conflicting advice here.

little_egypt, Nov 18, 8:03pm
On the computer that's currently connected, windows-R cmd to get a terminal then type ipconfig.

If your computer's IP address currently starts with 10. or 192.168. (or 172) then you can just plug a switch in.If it starts with anything else then you almost certainly need a 'router' that provides 'nat'

skin1235, Nov 18, 8:16pm
easy, cheap, and will function ( with an aside - you may need to position the computer near a window with a better'line' to achieve connection, especially if the shed is predominantly steel)

the above suggestion of hub/switch and the listing here - not so many months ago 4 and more port switches were a dime a dozen on here, that listed one today was all I could find - and quoted it to differentiate from the numerous usb ports found when searching on '4 ports'
it has capabilities beyond what you need but would do the job - redundant now as you have replied re difficulty laying in cables

hakatere1, Nov 18, 8:20pm
We have an ipstar sat modem connected to a tp-link (cheap as on tm)router for any laptops in the house to share. Gives good wireless coverage up to 10 or so metres and beyond that I know of. Wireless is the way to go and even if you want to use a desktop, use a wireless usb receiver as has been suggested, even if you've got to drill a hole in your garage, up high under the eaves and hang the usb receiver in a plastic bag or whatever, outside. You wouldn't even see it there. Stay right away from cables.Ugly and inconvenient.

hakatere1, Nov 18, 8:27pm
423304934 is all we use.

little_egypt, Nov 18, 8:30pm
My brief search, the fact that it already has wireless, and hakatere1's comments would suggest pretty strongly that the ipstar does NAT and DHCP.

I think I'd probably just go for a USB wireless adapter too.

spyware, Nov 18, 8:42pm
TP Link would obviously work with public IP bridged to WAN interface so there is no evidence in my opinion that what you say is correct.

little_egypt, Nov 18, 8:47pm
Looking back, I think I misread. But I did find which says features of the device include ip forwarding, nat and dhcp although I'm not 100% this is the hardware the OP has.

However if OP is thinking of going wireless they'll need an AP, and most AP's (like the tp-link mentioned) do routing and nat.

spyware, Nov 18, 8:54pm
Access points by definition don't do any routing. TP Link device is a router with access point bridged to wired Ethernet on LAN interface. That said I'm exiting the thread.

little_egypt, Nov 18, 9:30pm
If you want to nitpick; "most devices being sold today as an Access Point are in fact a wireless router and often configured by default to provide NAT and DHCP. "

Does that make you feel better!

spyware, Nov 19, 6:53pm
Maybe you should investigate whether the IPSTAR device is a router providing private IP addresses or a bridge providing a single public IP address before suggesting to connect a switch to it. Networking is a little more complicated than just connecting little boxes together with patch leads.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)