Remote access

how do you stop people accessing your computer via remote! we are having an ongoing problem with this. firstly the techinicon computer helpdesk tried to fix a problem remotely, goodness knows what he did but we then we lost our c drive, and all our files. now having got it up and running again eventually, we find that someone is accessing it remotely. our emails are hacked into, files interfered with, Is there a police department that can deal with these things!

geek_happysmile4, Nov 20, 8:00 am

How do you know that they are accessing,

Did you get a phone call from the tech and give your credit card number!

geek_jancemord, Nov 20, 8:06 am

What operating system are you using and what Make / Type of computer. Turn off Computer and restart, when the Computer starts to "post" (first screen) hit the f8 key repeatedly until the computer boots in "Safe Mode" Select "Safe mode with networking" do online to filehippo.com download malwarebytes install, get all updates (there is an update tab on the program) then run the program. As to the Police, apart from what John key says they are busy and not really interested, sorry but there has been a huge amount of information on these online remote access scams.

geek_ctnz, Nov 20, 8:14 am

You need to do two things. I already said this. I'm just going to keep saying it.

1) Back up your data and do a fresh re-install of Windows. You may need to get a computer guy to do this for you.

2) Change all your passwords, for every account that you ever accessed from the compromised computer.

You'll find the police can't do a thing about it because the hackers are almost always working from outside New Zealand and in a country that's very slack about computer crimes.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 20, 8:15 am

seriously I think this is a windup

geek_drcspy, Nov 20, 8:17 am

It's a little too late in this case. OP is PWND.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 20, 8:19 am

oh well, Sh#t happens

geek_ctnz, Nov 20, 8:22 am

Eventually you're going to really annoy some of the techs around here and they'll start giving you unhelpful advice.

Let me know your address, I'll send you a disk called 'dban' . all you need to do is boot your computer from this disk and type 'autonuke'. Give it half an hour and you won't need to worry about anyone remotely accessing your computer, it will be completely secure.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 20, 9:30 am

AMEN to that

geek_mrfxit, Nov 20, 9:50 am

Regardless of this being a wind up or not, I can see only 1 systematic way around the problem.
FIRST . make sure you have an o/s install disk for your computer >>>>>

#1: Back up personal photos/ docs etc to dvd.
#2: Use a DIFFERENT computer to change ALL passwords (including password hints etc) on your web based accounts AND change your Broadband routers password plus ISP passwords.
#3: DON'T . use your infected computer on the internet (remove the network cable)
#4: Download Dban / burn the ISO to a cd & boot the computer from that cd then when loaded (it's very fast loading) /type in AUTONUKE & enter /let the program run (it could take a couple of hours)
#5: Do a FRESH FULL install of your operating system (or get someone to do it)
#6: Stop downloading crud & STOP listening to unwanted random ph calls telling you, your computer is infected.

My No: 1 rule
NO ONE gets remote access to my personal computers . NO ONE

geek_mrfxit, Nov 20, 10:02 am

thank you for all your helps and advice.

geek_happysmile4, Nov 20, 2:28 pm

Me too. I rung MS to see if they would supply me with a disk for my Windows7 as I have a legit serial but no disk (you know that pre-installed sham). He told me I could copy someone elses disk. He then started to lead me through the steps of remote connection to which I refused. He got very put out and said (in Indian accent) "Sir! I am a microsoft technician" etc. to which I replied "I dont care if you are Mahatma f*cking Gandhi, you are not connecting to my PC!"

Call ended. no disk.

geek_magicmat, Nov 20, 2:33 pm

Turn the computer off, unplug it from the internet and take it to a reputable technician.

Until you do that, providing you are actually being remotely accessed, you're not safe.

geek_dunedin_ree, Nov 20, 2:43 pm

they're NOT - see the links I posted above.either mummys not home and the child is bored or else mummys/daddysnot home upstairs at all !

geek_drcspy, Nov 20, 3:11 pm

how do you stop people accessing your computer via remote! we are having an ongoing problem with this. firstly we could not connect to the technicon website, the techinicon computer helpdesk tried to fix a this error remotely but was unsuccessful.
immediately after that WE LOST ALL ACCESS to our C drive, and all our files. we lost all our files and everything on our computer.
We got it up and running again eventually, Now we find that someone is accessing it remotely. our emails are hacked into, files interfered with, Is there a police department that can deal with these things!

geek_happysmile4, Nov 21, 8:00 am

thanks will do

geek_happysmile4, Nov 21, 8:42 pm

Regardless of what is or isn't happening unplugging it and turning it off is IMO the best course of action.At the very least they can't post here.

If it is a wind-up they're doing a very good job of sounding like a moron.

geek_dunedin_ree, Nov 21, 8:48 pm

completely agree with all that !

geek_drcspy, Nov 21, 9:06 pm