Netbook vs Notebook opinions please

Would just be used for studying for the next 4yrs, would require microsoft office as I need word (I am under the impression that some or all of the netbooks don't come with office) no idea but opinions are appreciated thank you

geek_flange15, Nov 23, 4:49 pm

Most system don't come with a real version of Office, doesn't matter if its a laptop or netbook

Netbooks are good for portability and battery life but are typically less powerful, have small screens and no optical drive

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 23, 4:58 pm

netbooks = toys, painful for word processing type activities, slow
notebook = get the real work done

geek_gibler, Nov 23, 5:00 pm

Oh sweet, didn't know that, thanks for the help, I am thinking notebook then, netbook are much easier on the bank, but I think notebook are more worth it.

Thank you

geek_flange15, Nov 23, 5:02 pm

Not at all true.

A modern dual core netbook is fine for office stuff and they typically have stronger graphics setups than low end notebooks/laptops which helps immensely with video performance.

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 23, 5:02 pm

Even though you need OFFICE, Libre and Open office can be saved as Word files.

geek_rawill, Nov 23, 5:20 pm

I really like my Toshiba Satellite C640 Notebook $699 at Dicks Smiths, Targus Satchel $87 (Ascent) Microsoft USB mouse $23 ( Wharehouse Stationery.
The notebook came bundled with a trial of Microsoft office. I un-installed all that and installed Open Office for free. Its opened every Word document emailed to me and have produced a few basic documents no problem.
The speakers dont review well but the sound is great with headphones.
The battery life is quite good, up to 5 hrs on a good day.
Only downside is as its a notebook it only has 2 USB ports. I bought a 7 port Powered USB hub by Targus from Ascent. While the notebook was my temporary desktop the hub worked really well.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase considering the price.

geek_mgc54, Nov 23, 5:21 pm

and just a tip. Most Win7 Netbooks actually come with the starter pack of office which includes a fully licenced yet cut down version of microsoft word. it may also include a cut down version of Excel as well. Main difference is that NETBOOKs dont have a CD\DVD Drive. they rely on usb drives and network access. Notebooks is another name for Laptop. Except some people like to reserve the name notebook for the larger versions of laptops as over 13" is a tad to big for your lap. :) Hope that helps

geek_sunshine60, Nov 23, 5:34 pm

I really like my Toshiba Satellite C640 Notebook $699 at Dicks Smiths, Targus Satchel $87 (Ascent) Microsoft USB mouse $23 ( Wharehouse Stationery).
The notebook came bundled with a trial of Microsoft office. I un-installed all that and installed Open Office for free. Its opened every Word document emailed to me and have produced a few basic documents no problem.
The speakers dont review well but the sound is great with headphones.
The battery life is quite good, up to 5 hrs on a good day.
It connects well to my wifi router using 802.11n, good internet surfing speeds.
Only downside is as its a notebook it only has 2 USB ports. I bought a 7 port Powered USB hub by Targus from Ascent. While the notebook was my temporary desktop the hub worked really well.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase considering the price.

geek_mgc54, Nov 24, 5:21 pm