Help with lcd monitor cables

Ok i have a pci:e video card, have a new computer that was supposed to have a Pci express slot but it doesnt, my problem is that the pins on the monitor cable with my lcd monitor wont go into anywhere in this new computer, so i can plug it in without the video card, im guessing to plug it into the standard serial slot for crt monitor i would need some kind of adapter! what is this called! thanks

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 28, 5:47 pm

dvi to vga !

geek_swivel, Nov 28, 5:54 pm

na dont think so, just searched for it and the pins in the monitor cable as to sets of 4 pins seperated then one pin so it woul have to go into a female plug!

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 28, 6:00 pm

"Serial slot" for vga !

geek_drcspy, Nov 28, 6:05 pm

this auction is was what the end of the cable for the monitor looks like 425793232

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 28, 6:14 pm

If the comp has the standard 15 pin vga port then you only need an adaptor plug. If it doesnt you need a video card as the comp lacks one

geek_drcspy, Nov 28, 6:19 pm

would this be it! http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/cables-adaptors/monitor/auction-427579942.htmcan anyone help!lol flying in the dark here.

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 28, 6:19 pm

wow. thats a dvi to vga

geek_swivel, Nov 28, 6:32 pm

yes.does the comp have a vga port !

geek_drcspy, Nov 28, 6:34 pm

You need to give us more info.
Does your computer have a video output or not!
It will either be VGA or DVI (or a long shot - HDMI)

If it doesn't then you need to install a graphics card.

No adapter of any kind is going to help you if you don't have a video output.

geek_flick13, Nov 28, 8:31 pm

ok it has the port on the motherboard for standard crt monitor, that's VGA right!, i have a graphics card was told the computer i bought would have a pci:e slot and it doesn't so my graphics card that the cable did go into doesn't work on the slot on the motherboard, hope this makes sense. thanks

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 28, 10:08 pm

So you have no video card.

You need a video card.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 28, 11:11 pm

If your monitor has a VGA input (same plug as the blue one on your computer) then you need a VGA to VGA cable.

If your monitor doesn't have a VGA input, you cannot get an adaptor that goes from VGA to the monitor you have. You will need a video card.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 28, 11:26 pm

No, Please read, they have a VGA port, So they need a DVI to VGA (hang on, i've said that twice to the OP) and yet i'm ignored

geek_swivel, Nov 28, 11:29 pm

Apparently their computer has a VGA port, and their monitor uses DVI

You can't get a VGA to DVI 'adapter'

geek_little_egypt, Nov 28, 11:42 pm

A new system will probably have an HDMI port though which can be converted to DVI

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 29, 12:33 am

Since when! I've sold hundreds of them over the years, and VGA-DVI cables.
DVI has both analogue and DVI capability.
As long as the DVI input on the monitor is DVI-I (analogue and digital) - then it is very simple.

geek_flick13, Nov 29, 6:39 am

the dvi cable is the one i put in my message above, why is it then that my other lcd monitor has a normal vga cable

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 29, 8:33 am

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx!id=425793232
thats what the end that goes into my computer looks like.only there isnt anywhere on the motherboard ports to plug in.

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 29, 8:35 am

eh !

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 8:38 am

far out

you've been told

two choices

either get an adaptor (someone linked to one earlier)
or get a vid card that has the DVI output

what more do you need !

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 8:40 am

oh really drcspy maybe you cant read! where is the link to the adaptor! the only links on here is the ones i have put up and the one you put up earlier which isnt what i need!there is some confusion to what cable i need, hence my trying to clear that up so i can get the CORRECT cable,

geek_cyberwolf1, Nov 29, 8:48 am

what's that then !

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 8:53 am

ohhhhh.naughty !

cyberwolf1 This membership has been closed. Feedback on this member is not available.

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 9:02 am

you have the correct cable,you just need an adaptor,like the one you linked to.I hope youre not trying to plug your monitor into a serial or gaming port.Your MB must have a blue plug which you had youre other monitor plugged into!

geek_cptdarling, Nov 29, 9:04 am

you might as well not bother they've had their membership disabled.

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 9:06 am

which means they cant even read the messageboard

geek_drcspy, Nov 29, 9:07 am

DVI to VGA, yes. (because the DVI connector has pins for analog signal)

VGA to DVI . NO! -- because the VGA output only has the analog signal, and it's not trivial to recreate the digital video signal from analog.

You can't get an adapter that goes from the 9-pin VGA connector on your laptop to the DVI connector on your monitor. You can try using a DVI to VGA connector (as a friend of mine did) but it won't work.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:22 am

Duh . I mean 15 pin VGA connector, sorry. there's enough stupid in this thread already

geek_little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:37 am

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 9:40 am

Yes, exactly;

"A DVI-D to VGA Adapter is used to connect computer with DVI-D connectors to televisions and projectors which needed VGA Male Adapter."

Now find me an adapter that goes FROM the VGA OUTPUT to an DVI INPUT.

You won't find one.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 29, 9:59 am

I know they are around as i had one come with my AOC 19". It worked fine (not as good as DVI). ended up selling it as a customer only had the dvi input on the monitor he had.

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 10:18 am

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 10:23 am

"This will not display a video signal on a DVI-D (Digital Only) monitor, even though the plugs fit correctly."

But yes -- this is getting closer to the sort of connector the OP might have been able to use, if their monitor had a DVI-A or DVI-I input. I don't know how common those are. Most of the monitors I have seen are either VGA-only or VGA+DVI

geek_little_egypt, Nov 29, 10:31 am

Maybe as mine is both vga and dvi, the coverter was working as vga (as my monitor isn't VDI only.

But then OP is gone(wonder why) !

What did they put in here or was it some other place

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 10:45 am

little_egypt

YOu have been saying you cannot go from VGA-DVI.
But you can.

The only thing you can't do is go from VGA to DVI-D (Digital).
But most monitors that only have a DVI port are DVI-I (Analogue and digital)

Like I said - I sell these, and have sold hundreds of them, and VGA-DVI cables.
I can think of only one case where it wouldn't work - and yes that was because it was DVI-D input, not DVI-I.

geek_flick13, Nov 29, 10:48 am

I know the OP has gone but lets take a step back here

- Most monitors have an analogue VGA input alongside DVI-D. In this case an adapter will not work you need a VGA-VGA cable
- Some high end monitors have only digital inputs (DVI-D and HDMI) in which case an adapter won't work
- There may be some monitors with a DVI-I input in which case an adapter will work but I've never seen one of these

I think assuming the OP has the third type is dangerous

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 29, 11:06 am

Surely if he had a vga input on the monitor - then he would have said.
But it sounded like he ONLY had DVI.

In which case - it is usually DVI-I so it can take both analogue and digital

I agree if it has VGA AND DVI - then most often the DVI is digital only (as it already have VGA for analogue)

Anyway - it's all moot now as OP has gone it seems.
So we will never know eh!

geek_flick13, Nov 29, 1:52 pm

I don't know about that. The few screens I've seen without a VGA connector have been DVI-D and HDMI only

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 29, 1:55 pm

I have two monitors here with DVI and HDMI only - bothare DVI-I

geek_flick13, Nov 29, 3:14 pm

you have the correct cable,you just need an adaptor,like the one you linked to.I hope youre not trying to plug your monitor into a serial or gaming port.Your MB must have a blue plug which you had youre other monitor plugged into!
Ha! I see the OP has been sin binned!Either that their stupidity caused them to implod.

geek_cptdarling, Nov 30, 9:04 am

DVI to VGA, yes. (because the DVI connector has pins for analog signal)

VGA to DVI . NO! -- because the VGA output only has the analog signal, and it's not trivial to recreate the digital video signal from analog.

You can't get an adapter that goes from the 9-pin VGA connector on your desktop or laptop to the DVI input on your monitor. You can try using a DVI to VGA connector (as a friend of mine did) but it won't work.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 30, 9:22 am

Yes, exactly;

"A DVI-D to VGA Adapter is used to connect computer with DVI-D connectors to televisions and projectors which needed VGA Male Adapter."

Now find me an adapter that goes FROM the VGA OUTPUT to an DVI INPUT.

You won't find one.

(actually; you might for VGA to DVI-A or DVI-I . but not for DVI-D)

geek_little_egypt, Nov 30, 9:59 am

"This will not display a video signal on a DVI-D (Digital Only) monitor, even though the plugs fit correctly."

But yes -- this is getting closer to the sort of connector the OP might have been able to use, if their monitor had a DVI-A or DVI-I input. I don't know how common those are. Most of the monitors I have seen are either VGA-only or VGA+DVI and I just checked the one I'm using now, it's VGA With DVI-D. the connector has a slot not a plus.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 30, 10:31 am