What Pc would you Buy and monitor

looking fordesktop for around $1000,would have to have wireless 802,as we live in motorhome,want to use a wireless 12v router,would be better if mouse and keyboard were wireless,what would you buy any info greatly recived.many thanks Mat

geek_yldred, Dec 6, 5:04 pm

I have one for sale for around $400. It doesnt come with keyboard or mouse. Check out my listings.

geek_atersatan, Dec 6, 5:13 pm

thanks will save and see what resalts i get from here

geek_yldred, Dec 6, 5:25 pm

It has a wireless network card (802.11 b/g ) and it's smaller than most PCs (1/3 the size). If you are keen on a wireless mouse and keyboard, I can get one (Microsoft Desktop 800) for extra $20.

Have a think about it, it might be what you need.

geek_atersatan, Dec 6, 5:54 pm

I apologise for self-promotion. Ignore my messages.

geek_atersatan, Dec 6, 6:03 pm

Motorhome. personally i'd be looking at a laptop for that money. Desktop would take up more room & need monitor secured etc for when ya on the move. Also 2 power points required, 1 for monitor & 1 for computer. I have a gaming laptop which has a 150w power supply, a reasonable desktop would be over 400w's (not that it would pull that from the wall)

geek_mush13, Dec 6, 6:48 pm

not worried about the space can run through invertor,over laptops been on road fulltime 5yrs now power system will more than handle it,besides the fact the monitor has bigger screen (old eyes) and have you seen the size of pcs dam they getting small,many thanks for coments

geek_yldred, Dec 6, 7:07 pm

Whenever I need a new computer I go to Compulink in Auckland, tell them what I want and they build it up for me, it's ready the next day. What you will be doing on it will determine what they put into the box. Viewsonic make good monitors and I'd be buying the biggest that fits the space or the wallet.

geek_skull, Dec 6, 7:17 pm

You could always get a laptop with a 18.4in & run at 1680 x 1050 if need be, however the price will be above $1000.

Mines 17.3in 1920 x 1080 & i got old eyes too :)

geek_mush13, Dec 6, 7:23 pm

for a motor home i would get an intel i3 based system and use it as a home theater computor.that way you can view it via your lcd tv in your motorhome and you can watch dvd's and view freeveiw TV when you add a tv card to it.power it all up using a 12v PC supply such as a "m2 atx" power supply.

geek_fordcrzy, Dec 6, 7:46 pm

sorry way ahead of you got 7.1 pioneer home system pluged into 12v 26 teac Full Hd along with 12v 500gb freeview twin tunner (can watch one chan and record another 2 its magic,along with segate 2Tb external Harddrive,(with our movies on it,) along with a Wii (there12v) so got pretty good base system hehe.its amazing how much 12v things are around

geek_yldred, Dec 6, 8:06 pm

any other idears

geek_yldred, Dec 7, 9:32 am

IDEAS !

geek_nicky4010, Dec 7, 10:05 am

for a mobile home i would seriously look at mini box dot com for a good intel I3 based system all set up for 12 volts.the pc's are super small.run off 12 volts and have a good amount of power for 99% of people

geek_fordcrzy, Dec 7, 6:24 pm

wireless:

use a usb wireless dongle.no setup .simple as .cheap (for connecting to your wireless router)

geek_drcspy, Dec 7, 7:09 pm

Whats wireless dongle its one of these moments.

geek_yldred, Dec 7, 7:49 pm

geek_us109, Dec 7, 8:20 pm

This is what I use on three of my desk-top for around the apartment which has two floors (upstairs and downstairs) works great no need for cabling whatsoever!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/wireless-networking/adaptors/auction-429514222.htm

('o,')
<((>
_/ \_

geek_us109, Dec 7, 8:30 pm

If you have a full HD TV, then you already have a monitor:) 24" monitors would only have the same resolution as your TV. I wanted an IPS pane and it ended up cheaper to buy a 32" TV than a 24" monitor, same resolution but Panasonic Viera's are IPS at 2/3rds the cost of a Dell.

geek_the_fire_master, Dec 7, 11:33 pm

$1000 will get you a good system from some places.

geek_.pc2u., Dec 10, 2:46 pm

I wouldn't use a TV as a monitor full time, its quite a compromise on quality and you do lose a bit of vertical resolution

Also a 24" 1920x1200 Dell IPS screen is only $500 - thats insanely good value

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 10, 2:59 pm

why spend $500 un-needed Dollars! its a campervan with limited real estate so using the TV is a good choice. using a micro atx based intel i3system with built in HDMI on the board and a wireless mouse + keyboard is a great way to go.

even one of those zotac boards with built in Wifi and laptop power supply would be ok for web surfing etc

geek_fordcrzy, Dec 11, 6:35 pm

for a mobile home i would seriously look at mini box dot com for a good intel I3 based system all set up for 12 volts.the pc's are super small.run off 12 volts and have a good amount of power for 99% of people. regardless of what you get.you really need a mini or micro atx based system such as an intel i3 or i5 and at least 4 gigs of ram and team it up with a 1 terabyte hard drive.pack it all into a home theater type pc case to keep the size down and use your lcd tv to display it all.
or google mobile computing solutions for some ideas

geek_fordcrzy, Dec 7, 6:24 pm

If you have a full HD TV, then you already have a monitor:) 24" monitors would only have the same resolution as your TV. I wanted an IPS pane and it ended up cheaper to buy a 32" TV than a 24" monitor, same resolution but Panasonic Viera's are IPS at 2/3rds the cost of a Dell.

EDIT: I see Fordcrzy suggests the same.

geek_the_fire_master, Dec 7, 11:33 pm