Microsoft 2010 purchase question, please!

OK - I have one computer at work and one at home, both running Windows 7. I want to be able to have Outlook for emails. It is my belief that the Home and Student package doesn't have Outlook, so to buy the proper package for Home and Business for multiple users looks like costing $515 - the cheapest I have been able find online. Any suggestions!

geek_mazzy1, Dec 30, 2:14 pm

yeh forget outlook

theres plenty of free alternatives

is there any particular reason you need outlook in particular !

geek_drcspy, Dec 30, 2:19 pm

you're talking a $515 office package so you can have a certain email client program !

geek_drcspy, Dec 30, 2:20 pm

Outlook standalone is $200 - $250You can use that

geek_d.snell, Dec 30, 2:22 pm

Gmail springs to mind (free)

geek_kgbatussr, Dec 30, 2:22 pm

geek_agarn, Dec 30, 2:23 pm

they want it on two computers that's a

"1 User DVD Version"

for $210 each ($420) seems that's nearly as much as they were gonna pay for a full office multi user version ($515)

IF I was gonna pay that money I'd buy the full office multi version.
but then again you'd have to be pretty damn serious about Ms Outlook to pay that sort of money for it.you sure dont need to buy an office program as theres some excellent free ones.and some very good free mail apps also.why pay at all !

geek_drcspy, Dec 30, 2:26 pm

drcspy talks the troof, mate!

Free is the most I'd pay for an email client.

geek_bmwnz, Dec 30, 2:38 pm

It's not just about the Outlook - I need Word, Excel and Powerpoint too. Think I'll just bite the bullet and do it - I certainly got plenty of year's worth out of Office 2003 :)

geek_mazzy1, Dec 30, 4:59 pm

If you are a student - look at getting dreamspark. Loads of free software from MS.

geek_northshorepx, Dec 30, 5:41 pm

why PAY !

OPEN OFFICEwhich is FREE has excellent and very compatible versions of 'word/excel/powerpoint'-
;.you go pay if you want to tho

geek_drcspy, Dec 30, 5:52 pm

Crazy. Plenty of free alternatives that will do the job.

Thunderbird, Open Office, Libre Office etc.

Reminds me of NZ schools that have just paid millions of dollars for all schools to get Office 2011 when they should utalising free software, Google Apps for education and free cloud based software.

They probably are like OP and think its Microsoft or bust and then pay for stuff that they can get for free.

geek_plumbernick, Dec 30, 5:59 pm

Cheaper at PB Tech at around $390 if you are still looking at buying.

geek_hbhana, Dec 30, 6:15 pm

Not crazy at all, MS Office is the standard, I'd happily pay for it over Open Office my self.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Dec 30, 6:43 pm

same I used Open Office once and never liked it. Some thing weren't compatible between MS Office and Open Office so I found

geek_michael555, Dec 30, 6:49 pm

For the average user (99% of people) there is nothing that Word can do that Open Office can't. Most people can even get away with using Google docs.

Why would you pay all that money for MS!

Have you got Norton antivirus too!

geek_plumbernick, Dec 30, 6:56 pm

If you work for a reasonably large company, ask your IT guy if the staff are able to use this,
http://www.microsofthup.com/hupnz/home.aspx!culture=en-NZ

geek_sparkyz, Dec 30, 8:26 pm

Nope

geek_mazzy1, Dec 30, 11:04 pm

you got that with the home and student didnt you now just get Gmail for your mail and you can access that on as manycomputers you want to use

geek_newbie5, Dec 30, 11:17 pm

Torrent a free copy and make sure you don't sell it to anyone

geek_henry284, Dec 31, 9:29 am

Name: Henry
Suburb: Oamaru

geek_drcspy, Dec 31, 9:43 am

I got my copy yesterday for $10 doing this. Thanks to the place I work.great stuff!

geek_michael555, Dec 31, 10:09 am

And such useful stuff for sale. There are so many ways I could use a PGA370 to slot1 adapter!

geek_little_egypt, Dec 31, 10:14 am

I still use 2003 Office pro on win 7 ultimate and it runs fine. I downloaded 'File Format Converters' from ms to open/save/edit .docx files, free. Also free was doPDF 7, which using the file menu print command allows you to choose doPDF as printer and save as pdf. I chose not to install outlook as I use Eudora for my mail client, but the option was there. Office is too expensive to be upgrading it all the time. I upgraded from 97 to 2000 and then to 2003 and then said bugger this, so just stuck with it.

geek_hakatere1, Dec 31, 11:58 am

It's part of MS licencing program, some work place will allow yo to buy office 2010 for $25 for home use purposes (some will even allow you to buy Windows 7 as well).

geek_doctor_evil99, Dec 31, 12:28 pm

It may not be useful to you. But I'm sure some will find it handy.

geek_mark.p, Dec 31, 1:19 pm

My laptop came with MS office 2010. Sold it and installed Libreoffice.

geek_gsimpson, Dec 31, 5:04 pm

It may not be useful to you. But I'm sure someone will find it handy.

It would appear both you and Perry missed the joke.

Keep it up.

Oh and all the best for the new year TMCMB.

geek_mark.p, Jan 1, 1:19 pm

Dear All,I need help for ICND 1 Exam 1. Can anybody prvoide me the details of Drag n Drop question below:PhisingTrojanSpywareVirus2. Can you also prvoide details on the testlets questions about the following: A) 8 PCs connected to a hub B) Multiple choice questions about security concerns based on show run output of router and switch.Thanks in advance for your help

geek_guest, Aug 3, 4:35 pm

Thanks lads.This was tough, as i didn't rough it out in pencil or anyhting first; i just got the dip-pen and went straight at it. The down-side is that you can easily mess it up completely. On the plus-side, it forces you to be braver about your line. There was some nice shadow on the figure too so i went back in with some grey-wash. Was afraid i'd mess it up but it actually improved it. Glad ye all like.Thanks for the comment Phil!Luke; i'd really like to do a comic in this style actually. Someday...

geek_guest, Aug 4, 2:31 am

I'm not saying nohting about that comment. I do like the figure drawing though. When I was at uni we were asked to try figure drawing upside down with our wrong hand. Not sure what that proved but we did get to see girls in the nip..

geek_guest, Aug 6, 2:28 am