Good USB 802.11n adapter

I recently upgraded to a Wireless N router, a DLink DIR-615, and bought a USB N adapter for my laptop the same as the one in the link below. It works, but is much slower than the Wireless G adapter built into the laptop - for example the Consumer NZ broadband speedtest tells me I get 16Mbps downstream (limited by my ADSL2+ connection) with my laptop's built in G adapter, but only 5Mbps with the supposedly faster Wireless N adapter. Would I get better performance with a different USB adapter, or is USB the problem slowing it down!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/wireless-networking/adaptors/auction-439801445.htm

geek_robotnik, Jan 17, 7:54 pm

150 meg isnt really N, its a violation of the specs to only put a single reciever into a computer, only things like printers and other low speed devices are supposed to only do 150.

Also it has a single tiny crap antenna in it with almost no gain, whereas the laptop will have 2 or 3 antennas up on the back of the screen so higher and away from the bulk of the computer which will shield it. You may be able to upgrade the wireless card in the laptop, depending on what the bios does to lock out other vendors cards.

geek_richms, Jan 18, 10:10 am

usb runs at a theoretical 480Mb/s so that wont be slowing you down at all
assuming you DO actually have a N router .what's the system reported speed of transfer between the laptop and router and the usb adaptor and router !

geek_drcspy, Jan 18, 3:51 pm

It is an N router. Laptop reports connection speed on 54Mbps and with the USB it reports 65Mbps when close to the router - 65Mbps isn't that much faster, but it is definitely N speed. Anyway, I have decided to buy a decent USB N adapter. Thanks all for your help.

geek_robotnik, Jan 19, 12:37 pm

The built in wireless is almost always going to be better in the real world (even at G speeds) because there is much more room for a decent aerial in the lid of the laptop than there is in a small USB stick.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 19, 12:41 pm

yups

geek_johnf_456, Jan 19, 2:53 pm